What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons after Hodkinson

tumbidragon

First Grade
We already have potentially a top 3 5/8 in Soward let's not forget how good this guy can be. If Drinkwater fires problem solved, then we still have Kyle back next year. Problem is if Soward doesn't stay on we must search and search hard for a replacement.
I'm not sold on Sowie to regain that stellar form from a couple of seasons ago (especially after the trials). Also God love Style, because I know I do! But you do not come back a better player after 3 knee recos. Kills me what luck he has and to say this, but I no longer see him as the clubs long term option @ 5/8. Style has played 3 games in the halves. Dominated in two Rnd 26 2010, Rnd 9 2011 and looked ominous against the sharks Rnd 19 2012 (where he did his ACL) But the kids body is just not up to it :(

redbreed

Juniors
Hodkinson isn't going to win us a premiership. Normans not going to leave the Broncos, they would be mad to let go with two ageing halves. I'm all for having a go for Thurston that will be a step in the right direction but he won't consider us unless were sitting in the top 4 mid season.

Don't see the point recruiting average halves when we already have our own.

Minh

First Grade
I'm not sold on Sowie to regain that stellar form from a couple of seasons ago (especially after the trials). Also God love Style, because I know I do! But you do not come back a better player after 3 knee recos. Kills me what luck he has and to say this, but I no longer see him as the clubs long term option @ 5/8. Style has played 3 games in the halves. Dominated in two Rnd 26 2010, Rnd 9 2011 and looked ominous against the sharks Rnd 19 2012 (where he did his ACL) But the kids body is just not up to it :(

You make some good points however I'm not giving up on Soward yet but he needs to perform like an elite player, as for style it's a long road back but he would still have class, the question is will his body hold up this time. I remember thinking Benji Marshall was gone for all money early career injury after injury but he came back stronger than ever, there is still hope, I hope.

tumbidragon

First Grade
You make some good points however I'm not giving up on Soward yet but he needs to perform like an elite player, as for style it's a long road back but he would still have class, the question is will his body hold up this time. I remember thinking Benji Marshall was gone for all money early career injury after injury but he came back stronger than ever, there is still hope, I hope.
Benjis problem was his shoulders though, not so much his knees. Respect where you are com'n from, but the realist in me says Im right :(

Breathingfire

Juniors
Oi Minh? UP THE MIGHTY SAINTS!!!

+1 for Kyle's going to struggle. I always worry about players doing their knees. It's one of the worse possible injuries a rugby league can have in terms of coming back the same player. The modern game is so quick these days, if your speed is hampered in any way you will be significantly disadvantaged.

That's not to say you cannot come back a good player, but the potential you once possessed may never be fully realised. I know Yow Yeh did an ankle, but he has come out and said he is resigned to the fact that he will probably never play rep football again; he knows he will never be as fast and agile again.

Brent Tate is a player who once possessed incredible speed and injuries have really slowed him down over the years. He has done remarkable well to return to the rep scene but I wonder how good he could have been if he maintained the speed from his early days.

Brett Stewart is another who was on par as the best fullback in the game with Billy Slater before injury set him back. He almost got run down from behind by Darius Boyd in the origin last year and that never would have happened early in his career. He could run 100m in just over 10 seconds. There is more to playing rugby league than speed but damn it helps.

Minh

First Grade
+1 for Kyle's going to struggle. I always worry about players doing their knees. It's one of the worse possible injuries a rugby league can have in terms of coming back the same player. The modern game is so quick these days, if your speed is hampered in any way you will be significantly disadvantaged.

That's not to say you cannot come back a good player, but the potential you once possessed may never be fully realised. I know Yow Yeh did an ankle, but he has come out and said he is resigned to the fact that he will probably never play rep football again; he knows he will never be as fast and agile again.

Brent Tate is a player who once possessed incredible speed and injuries have really slowed him down over the years. He has done remarkable well to return to the rep scene but I wonder how good he could have been if he maintained the speed from his early days.

Brett Stewart is another who was on par as the best fullback in the game with Billy Slater before injury set him back. He almost got run down from behind by Darius Boyd in the origin last year and that never would have happened early in his career. He could run 100m in just over 10 seconds. There is more to playing rugby league than speed but damn it helps.

I have massive respect for Brent Tate he is a real 110% style of player throws everything into the game. As for Brett Stewart he is as natural a footballer as I have ever seen, always in the right place at the right time and before injury I would even rate him higher than Slater almost, what a player he was and still is pretty darn good. Speed is a massive advantage if you look at your Slater's, Barba's who not only accelerate very fast but do everything else at a hundred miles an hour, take away their speed and they come back to the field I guess.

Twenty10

Juniors
You're welcome to refrain from posting at anytime. Very welcome.

Haha c'mon you big girls blouse. You are either in denial, live in Wollongong or just an idiot. I doubt it's the last option. So is it (A) or (B)?

Haha some are just so sensitive to the truth.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Haha c'mon you big girls blouse. You are either in denial, live in Wollongong or just an idiot. I doubt it's the last option. So is it (A) or (B)?

Haha some are just so sensitive to the truth.

Twenty10
TALENTed
40Twenty
tim smith

How many other aliases do you have?

Jubileeboy

First Grade
some valid points... however i think it was evident towards the last 7-8 weeks of 2011 that Hornby was on his last legs and would not be a feasible option for the enitre 2012 season... at that point we should have got a new half for 2012 and Hornby could have provided a mentor role in some way..
and yes as you mentioned there was no one banging down the door to take his place... but the club also didnt go looking for anyone either......

Umm...Cooper Cronk was certainly targeted....forget that one ? :sarcasm:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Other sides don't pay for it cause they have a team that recruit!
Irvine/Flanagan ring a bell Albert ?
No names

"Cronulla are an extremely successful club", said no one ever !

So supercoach, tell me about their triumphs since 1967 ? :sarcasm:

Mr Red

First Grade
Umm...Cooper Cronk was certainly targeted....forget that one ? :sarcasm:

read the post properly -
Cronk was targeted for the 2013 season AFTER Hornby had already gone... i was referring to the 2012 season ... :roll:

Latest posts