What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

redv13

Bench
Sorry, I meant to refer to next year if/when he is appointed and Millward takes up the new position of Football Manager. Contrasting the money spent against that of hiring Bellamy. Payments are usually kept quiet but I can assure you Dean's father would be demanding he get the same as Mary got.
Mate if DY is going to be paid $800 k a season I will cheese grate my scrotum!!!! No chance in hell!! Zero 1st grade experience. Your on fire possm

blacksafake

First Grade
Sorry, I meant to refer to next year if/when he is appointed and Millward takes up the new position of Football Manager. Contrasting the money spent against that of hiring Bellamy. Payments are usually kept quiet but I can assure you Dean's father would be demanding he get the same as Mary got.
:flushed::thinking::flushed::thinking:

George Sancti

Juniors
If Saints cannot get Flanagan then having him be an assistant to a rookie is not ideal. Flanagan will be allowed to coach in 2022 so why would he make a rookie look good at his job when he knows that if the rookie fails they will turn to him to give him the job in 2022. I know he will try hard to help the rookie, but how hard and if the rookie fails the rumour mill will go crazy with this notion that Flanagan is backstabbing etc.

I think the only solution is to give Flanagan the job for 2022 from now and let a rookie get a year under his belt in NRL for future job. Whether that be Young, Fitzgibbon, Ryles, etc. As a rookie looking to get experience why not take the 1 year as an apprenticeship type experience to coach in the NRL.

Hopefully, they will not go with a rookie coach, regardless of the applicant, but if they do, your plan has merit.

possm

Coach
If Saints cannot get Flanagan then having him be an assistant to a rookie is not ideal. Flanagan will be allowed to coach in 2022 so why would he make a rookie look good at his job when he knows that if the rookie fails they will turn to him to give him the job in 2022. I know he will try hard to help the rookie, but how hard and if the rookie fails the rumour mill will go crazy with this notion that Flanagan is backstabbing etc.

I think the only solution is to give Flanagan the job for 2022 from now and let a rookie get a year under his belt in NRL for future job. Whether that be Young, Fitzgibbon, Ryles, etc. As a rookie looking to get experience why not take the 1 year as an apprenticeship type experience to coach in the NRL.
No thank-you, I like many other fans who do not want to waste another year with these ty and give an old boy a plumb job. I say, if Flanagan is not available for 2021 then give the job to another professional and successful coach. We don't want to sacrifice 2021.

Gareth67

First Grade

Should they decide that Young is the go to man then as you have said Slippery that would the best thing to do - guarantee Flanagan the position now and by so doing ensure that he remains with the Dragons .

If they were truly interested they , the board should come to some sort of agreement with the man and then make it public so as to keep other clubs from circling.

Gareth67

First Grade
No thank-you, I like many other fans who do not want to waste another year with these ty and give an old boy a plumb job. I say, if Flanagan is not available for 2021 then give the job to another professional and successful coach. We don't want to sacrifice 2021.

Neither do any of us possum old chum , but you of all people should know the logic of the J.V. board by now - if there’s an opportunity to save a dollar or two then they will sure as hell take the cheaper option.

Gareth67

First Grade
6D7213E4-434A-42D2-A750-4EE048C2C745.jpeg
Mate if DY is going to be paid $800 k a season I will cheese grate my scrotum!!!! No chance in hell!! Zero 1st grade experience. Your on fire possm

:flushed: Good lawd man DONT DO IT ! Or you shall surely end up like this chap from the ‘ 70’s ?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Neither do any of us possum old chum , but you of all people should know the logic of the J.V. board by now - if there’s an opportunity to save a dollar or two then they will sure as hell take the cheaper option.
All I can say is how many assistants did they hire to help Mary and why did Mary's salary continue to go up each contract evern though he achieved nothing.

No, I have a different take on the whole affair. Just picture them all with their noses in the SGI trough, jocking for position and sucking as many dollars as they can.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
All I can say is how many assistants did they hire to help Mary and why did Mary's salary continue to go up each contract evern though he achieved nothing.

No, I have a different take on the whole affair. Just picture them all with their noses in the SGI trough, jocking for position and sucking as many dollars as they can.
These two paragraphs contradict each other.

possm

Coach
These two paragraphs contradict each other.
The Board is not really worried about the spend, they individually are just worried about the deal, e.g.
  • Craig Young - 'You should pay Dean the same as you paid Mary'.
  • Bob Millward - 'Well if you want that, you'll have to pay Basil 500k in his new Genderal Manager Football job'.
It is not the money they are worried about, it is their cut that they are more interested in.

redv13

Bench
The Board is not really worried about the spend, they individually are just worried about the deal, e.g.
  • Bob Millward - 'Well if you want that, you'll have to pay Basil 500k in his new Genderal Manager Football job'.
It is not the money they are worried about, it is their cut that they are more interested in.
You’re clearly a conspiracy theory man

Gareth67

First Grade

Possum I quite sure that they are indeed concerned about the amount out-laid , more so when a 3rd party ( presumably ) is holding the purse strings .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m sorry, but:

1. Outside of what’s going on in your own mind, how are you sure they say this?
2. Why would they say this?
3. What say does Bob Millward even have in the JV?

SaintPauli

Juniors
I dont think Young is going to be coach in 2021.

The rumour was the coach they want is not available atm. Take that as you wish.
My guess at this early stage is either Fitzgibbon or Flannagan. I would also think board will likey ask either coach to maintain Dean Young as assistant for obvious reasons !

SaintPauli

Juniors
The board is under immense pressure as they succumbed recently, though from our perspectives it took too long.

The board has noticed loss in trust from fans and sponsers and that means they cannot afford another dud coach or coach contract without a performance base clause.

This is a great club, though it needs the right people in the right positions accepting their responsibilities to excel and perform, or they can accept when told to shove off.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor steps aside as St George Illawarra coach after six seasons in charge at NRL club

Young's father, Craig, sits on the Dragons' board of directors, Webb said Craig Young excused himself from the decision-making process around the coaching position.

"As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board," Webb said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...-dragons-coach-paul-mcgregor-resigns/12553380

Lethal25

Juniors
Makes me very nervous reading snippets in the press stating the job is Dean Youngs to lose. Only 36 years old, never been a head coach, reference to his work ethic which occured with Mary, learnt under Mary & been part of a losing culture since he started as an assistant in 2014. Reads beautifully.....

Anyway, I have a theory on why Wayne Bennett is a strong chance to come back. He's publicly stated he wishes to continue as a head coach. He also has Jason Demetriou signed and sealed to take over at Souths after next season. Looking at all of the other clubs there really isn't any club Wayne will get an opportunity at in the next couple of years. Dragons may well be his only option

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
For a club like the Dragons that has limited success over the past 3 decades, it’s amazing how many of our ex players are in the coaching ranks.

McGregor - Out
Barrett & Brown - In
Young - Appointed interim
Fitzgibbon & Ryles - in demand & anointed as next inline Head Coaches
Hornby - Assistant under the Bennett apprenticeship

Even Flanno started his career with the Dragons as a hooker, before moving on.

Hopefully the club find the right Head Coach for 2021 to build some great foundations to take us forward & UP.

And people say our our Pathways program isn't working Looks like we are producing lots of Head Coaches.

Pity we struggle to produce and promote young footballers.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm feeling Dean Young will be our next head coach. Basically, by last man standing principle.

His job to lose over the next 6 weeks.