What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons home ground to small for semis..

A season ticket doesn't entitle you to tickets to away games in the regular season, so why should an away semi be any different??

Back on topic, yes I agree the ground is too small for a semi, regardless of who it against, and especially if we play the sharks.

Dragons v Sharks is (at a minimum) equal of any other rivalry in league, and to play such a game at a ground of less than 20K capacity does not do the occasion justice. As bigger dragons fan as I am I understand homeground advantages and that should be priority no1, but its just plain dissapointing to me that a showcase game (and our first ever home semi final) is gonna be played out to such a small crowd.

BWNB

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
A season ticket doesn't entitle you to tickets to away games in the regular season, so why should an away semi be any different??

Back on topic, yes I agree the ground is too small for a semi, regardless of who it against, and especially if we play the sharks.

Dragons v Sharks is (at a minimum) equal of any other rivalry in league, and to play such a game at a ground of less than 20K capacity does not do the occasion justice. As bigger dragons fan as I am I understand homeground advantages and that should be priority no1, but its just plain dissapointing to me that a showcase game (and our first ever home semi final) is gonna be played out to such a small crowd.
if it was at SFS we would get 30,000

Willow

Assistant Moderator
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Also, Willow as I read the Dragons site ALL Dragons season ticket holders get access to the priority period. I could be wrong, but that is how it reads to me.

All the details are here: http://www.dragons.com.au/news/static/article_2247.asp
Thanks Cheesie, that's the way it should be for members.

At least some good information has come out of this thread. ;-)

Mighty Sharks said:
Of course I will, I'd line up at 4am, you are missing the point.
I guess this is what its all about. You're unhappy that you have to get up at a sparrow's fart.

But let's get real here. What you're proposing is that Saints supporters miss out so you can get a warm seat all to yourself.

Long term St George supporters who wait in line would have every reason to be pissed off if they missed out because seating was allocated to opposition supporters.

I can't even believe this needs to be pointed out.

Bloody whingers.

Southernsaint

Staff member
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:

Who cares?? Saints don't get the money...

WIN Stadium is a home venue, it heightens our chances of winnings & keeps bottom feeders like you out of the ground...

The Saints are entitlted to play the semi final whereever they want to.

What about last year, when all those poor devoted Melbourne Storm season ticket holders were unable to watch their team in the first week of the finals. They pay their money and go to every single home game, but they were deprived of the chance to watch their team by a selfish Brisbane Broncos club who chose play the game in Brisbane, a stifling 1800 kms away. These Melbourne fans were presumably expected to fly (or drive) all the way to Brisbane to watch their beloved team go around - clearly the majority were restricted from doing so. When you add the WIN Stadium/ whining Sharks fan debacle - clearly something needs to be done.

That's rediculous. What about the Broncos fans who had to travel all the way to NQ (which is almost as far as Melb - Bris) to see Broncos v NQ, after the Broncos forfeited their opportunity to have a sell out crowd at Suncorp for the clash. The match was sold out with less than half the tickets available in comparison to Suncorp.

What about Warriors fans who have had to travel to another country to see their teams in the finals?

What about the Broncos fans who have had to travel to Sydney year after year to see their team compete?

I think this is a rediculous thread. If the sharks are in the finals, you are already going to see your team play 1 more week after 7 have been eliminated. The Saints can play it anywhere they want, and why would St George want to accommodate for away supporters, then face complaints from their own fans? I'm sure their own fans will complain when this game sells out and thousands miss out. That's just how it goes.

Since the introduction of the current home finals system in 1998 the average crowd for a first-week final has been 20,413.

WIN will get a crowd of around about 20,000.

Surely this is entirely justified and certainly insufficient reason to give up the 1st/2nd place team's home ground advantage which they have earned.

There will be plenty of matches at Aussie and Telstra stadiums come the second, third and fourth week of the finals.

Mr Saab

Referee
HMS Cheesemaker said:
There will be plenty of matches at Aussie and Telstra stadiums come the second, third and fourth week of the finals.

but the sharks wont be there for week 2!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Would you like us to move the game for you?

You forget that 'home game semis' means that the top team gets home advantage. In old days of the top five, they all were played at the SCG. But that was then.

If you don't like the current system, do something about it (like get your team a top four berth for a start). But whinging about it just before the finals is an embarrassment to yourself and your fellow supporters.

Mr Saab

Referee
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Sooo cocky ay we will see

not cocky mate...just a realist.
Sharks will not beat the dragons at WIn stadium (should it work out that way)

Scott

Bench
I'd say the Sharks will do well to win another game in 2005. A loss to Souths this weekend then bundled out in the first week of the finals....

RufusRex

Post Whore
well the game is being played at a game who has a capacity bigger than the average sharks home crowd this year .. Perhaps you should move all your games away from the swamp to the SFS.

The real problem here is that the scummers should have won more games .. they didnt so you deserve to be in the position you are in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
BBJF, do you want us to win it?

Fair dinkum, its just a home game. We need every little advantage. Any coach from any club would agree.

Cheesie offered some stats earlier on where the average home semi crowd was a little over 20,000. You and the Covellier think it'll be 30,000 'minimum'. What do you base this on? Guess work? The stats from Cheesie don't support you.

BWNB

First Grade
Willow said:
BBJF, do you want us to win it?

Fair dinkum, its just a home game. We need every little advantage. Any coach from any club would agree.

Cheesie offered some stats earlier on where the average home semi crowd was a little over 20,000. You and the Covellier think it'll be 30,000 'minimum'. What do you base this on? Guess work? The stats from Cheesie don't support you.
its the ultimate local durby

Willow

Assistant Moderator
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
its the ultimate local durby
lol

dictionary.com

Suggestions:

Darby
Derby
derby
Dauby