What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

The Great Dane

First Grade
Because jets are merging with tigers
What does the Firehawks and jets potentially merging have to do with anything?

Just because they might be merging, that doesn't mean that the Dolphins are the favourites. The only people whom would have any inkling whom the favourites are is the ARLC/NRL.
Ppl who argue reverse racism have already lost
'Reverse racism' is an oxymoron. There's no such thing, it's simply plain old racism.

But to directly address the point you are alluding to, that it's ok to be racist/discriminatory against certain groups because of some fact inherent to their nature, or inherent in the group doing the discriminating's nature, is not only stupidity on a level that's hard to comprehend, but is extremely racist in of it's self.
It's dehumanisation done for political gains on a level that has exclusively had terrifying historical consequences every time it has become widely accepted in a society.

In other words, that path always leads to crimes against humanity if it's followed far enough...

This isn't the place to discuss these sorts of things anyway, and I think everyone would appreciate it if you took it elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Representatives of the Brisbane Firehawks and Brisbane Jets have begun discussions about the rival bid teams forming a partnership in the hope of winning the NRL's 17th licence.

Easts Tigers CEO Brian Torpy, who is heading the Firehawks consortium, confirmed that the two bid teams met on Sunday and will continue talks during the coming week to determine the benefits of joining forces.

"The Brisbane Firehawks and the Brisbane Jets met this afternoon to consider the benefits associated with both of their bids for the 17th team in the NRL competition," Torpy said in a statement.

"Discussions will continue with a view to establishing a final position regarding both bids within the next few days."

Jamberoo

Juniors
So, Hawks & Jets are either aware that they are not going to be selected, or the NRL has suggested that if they do get together, they will get the nod. Interesting.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Representatives of the Brisbane Firehawks and Brisbane Jets have begun discussions about the rival bid teams forming a partnership in the hope of winning the NRL's 17th licence.

Easts Tigers CEO Brian Torpy, who is heading the Firehawks consortium, confirmed that the two bid teams met on Sunday and will continue talks during the coming week to determine the benefits of joining forces.

"The Brisbane Firehawks and the Brisbane Jets met this afternoon to consider the benefits associated with both of their bids for the 17th team in the NRL competition," Torpy said in a statement.

"Discussions will continue with a view to establishing a final position regarding both bids within the next few days."

Would this result in a change of name for the combined franchise bid?

joshreading

Staff member
The merged bid should be Firebirds.

They should develop the elite Seniors centre initially at East's and develop the primary Junior Academy together Ipswich Jets in Ipswich / Springfield.

Make it clear the teams territory is South and West Brisbane and "claim" out beyond Toowoomba. With the present agreements with Central Queensland, the team would have thirty thousand plus juniors.

I think this bid would be unstoppable, even in comparison to Redcliffe.

Pippen94

First Grade
The merged bid should be Firebirds.

They should develop the elite Seniors centre initially at East's and develop the primary Junior Academy together Ipswich Jets in Ipswich / Springfield.

Make it clear the teams territory is South and West Brisbane and "claim" out beyond Toowoomba. With the present agreements with Central Queensland, the team would have thirty thousand plus juniors.

I think this bid would be unstoppable, even in comparison to Redcliffe.

Merged bid will be jets playing initially out of Suncorp before moving to ipswich. Central qld thing is a gimmick.

Dolphins will still get up because north has greater population, is more important strategically & avoids broncos - titans catchment

The Great Dane

First Grade
Merged bid will be jets playing initially out of Suncorp before moving to ipswich. Central qld thing is a gimmick.
That's probably the least likely thing to happen.

The Firehawks don't need the Jets as much as the Jets need the Firehawks, i.e. they're in the stronger position to negotiate. So if the Jets hold to such demands the Firehawks will just walk away.

Nah if the Jets really want the deal done they'll be the ones making most of the concessions.

Pippen94

First Grade

The Firehawks don't need the Jets as much as the Jets need the Firehawks, i.e. they're in the stronger position to negotiate. So if the Jets hold to such demands the Firehawks will just walk away.

Nah if the Jets really want the deal done they'll be the ones making most of the concessions.

You were a fan of the bombers before they merged with the jets - guess what we call the bombers now?! That's right the Brisbane Jets out of Ipswich.

If tigers were in position of power wouldn't even consider merging. Doing in it just to be competitive with Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get the sense the Jets know they are a distant third as they haven't been able to raise the investment they need to be competitive in the tender (which is a bit of a worry in terms of corporates support for RL in Brisbane). Its them that's pushing for a relationship with Firehawks who are holding all the cards. From the Firehawks point of view a small jet on the sleeve and one place on the board gives their bid more strategic strength by including Jets catchment area which we know is where AFL is pushing hard and Vlandys is worried about.

mongoose

Coach

Dolphins will still get up because north has greater population, is more important strategically & avoids broncos - titans catchment
I'm pretty certain North Brisbane does not have a larger population than South. If we are using the river as the split then the South side is easily bigger in population and area.

Pippen94

First Grade
I get the sense the Jets know they are a distant third as they haven't been able to raise the investment they need to be competitive in the tender (which is a bit of a worry in terms of corporates support for RL in Brisbane). Its them that's pushing for a relationship with Firehawks who are holding all the cards. From the Firehawks point of view a small jet on the sleeve and one place on the board gives their bid more strategic strength by including Jets catchment area which we know is where AFL is pushing hard and Vlandys is worried about.

Two areas of concern for NRL in Brisbane; south/west & north. Dolphins considered strong bid on its own. Inner city Tigers needs to move west to Ipswich & possibly encourage government funding for infrastructure.

Looking increasingly 18th team may need to be Brisbane also.

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm pretty certain North Brisbane does not have a larger population than South. If we are using the river as the split then the South side is easily bigger in population and area.

Including anything south of river is disingenuous. Morton Bay has population greater than Canberra not including sunshine coast or parts of northern Brisbane council area.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You were a fan of the bombers before they merged with the jets - guess what we call the bombers now?! That's right the Brisbane Jets out of Ipswich.
No I wasn't lol.
If tigers were in position of power wouldn't even consider merging. Doing in it just to be competitive with Dolphins.
Easts have always said that they were open to forming a joint venture with other teams, and that they'd hear anybody out.

Honestly, these whole merger talks just stink of a last ditch effort by the Jets and Bombers to get onto a bid with the potential to win a license. It wouldn't surprise me if they contacted the Dolphins about a merger as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The thing that doesn't make sense is that the Firehawks don't need to merge with the Jets to get their catchment. I guess a merger makes it so Ipswich juniors is the Firehawks forever, and no other team ever take it off them though.

I wouldn't even accept the Jets logo on the sleeve if I was them.

Pippen94

First Grade
No I wasn't lol.

Easts have always said that they were open to forming a joint venture with other teams, and that they'd hear anybody out.

Honestly, these whole merger talks just stink of a last ditch effort by the Jets and Bombers to get onto a bid with the potential to win a license. It wouldn't surprise me if they contacted the Dolphins about a merger as well.

Yes boomer, you favored bombers. You were a convert after Livermore's pitch.

Won't need to merge if strong bid. Jets give important south / west catchment & qld government building stadium. Tigerhawks only have money. Bombers all over again.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Including anything south of river is disingenuous. Morton Bay has population greater than Canberra not including sunshine coast or parts of northern Brisbane council area.
Including all of Morton Bay, let alone all of North Brisbane, in the Dolphin's area is disingenuous.

Frankly it's more disingenuous than including all of the inner south to the cost under the Firehawks, and the Firehawks have more potential to grow than the Dolphins ever would, which is shown by almost nobody batting an eyelid when it's suggested that they merge with Ipswich FFS.

And so what if Morton Bay's population is larger than Canberra! So is the Inner South of Brisbane's, and we shouldn't be measuring the potential of a club in Brisbane against Canberra at all, but against what has the largest potential within Brisbane it's self.

Pippen94

First Grade
The thing that doesn't make sense is that the Firehawks don't need to merge with the Jets to get their catchment. I guess a merger makes it so Ipswich juniors is the Firehawks forever, and no other team ever take it off them though.

I wouldn't even accept the Jets logo on the sleeve if I was them.

It's all unraveling for you. Tigers don't need to merge huh?! Then why are they?! Growth corridors to north & south are factor I've said all along

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes boomer, you favored bombers. You were a convert after Livermore's pitch.

Won't need to merge if strong bid. Jets give important south / west catchment & qld government building stadium. Tigerhawks only have money. Bombers all over again.
Mate you're just making shit up now lol.

I love the use of the dead meme BTW.