What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

aqua_duck

Coach
No need to get like that Spot On, we can be civil and discuss this like adults.

I'm a Parra fan, so yes he would have made a difference to my team - but lets face it so would numerous others.

At no point did I say Eddy was a 'star', not all players on the team can be. He is solid and could have been moulded into a Bill Peden style of player for the team and have given his all for the next ten years.

He hasn't set the world on fire this year but how many of your guys have? He has looked good in the last few weeks along with all the other guys who have been playing like busteds for most of the year.

People on here have short memories....

Bill Peden would never have put in an effort like Eddy did last night. Eddy is another Con Mika but not as skillful. To be honest one of the main reasons he's gotten as far as he has is because he's a local, the guy has played close to 50 games now and has never scored a try, never made over 100m in a game and just doesn't have anything in attack TBH. When your reputation is the honest toiler you can't miss tackles like he does. A few dominant tackles is not enough to guarantee a 1st grade gig let alone a $200k contract

Burwood

Bench
His big hits have been missing this year as well. Last year you could bank on him every match to put on 1-2 shots that would make it to the highlights reel. This year only one shot stands out in my mind. I can't remember who it was on or what game it was in, just that I found myself thinking, "where has that been all year??"

I think that perhaps it has been coached out of him by Bennett? He may have identified the hits as a weakness in our defensive line and has been getting the team to instead focus on getting numbers into the tackle and wrapping the ball up.

The whole situation reminds me a bit of Paterson. In his first season he looked like he was running against little kids, offloading and breaking the line at will- but his defence was a liability. In his second season that completely reversed. We were all hoping that in his third season he would put the two together, but it never eventuated.

Similar to Edwards, minus the bit about having good attack. :)

Johns Magic

Referee
If someone could post his KOTW stats for the year I'm sure that would show prove highly rated he's been around here this season.

Johns Magic

Referee
So he's played every game and is coming 19th in our entire squad for 3-2-1 votes?

I don't think it's as hypocritical of us as stuke is suggesting to claim that 200K+ a season is paying overs. He certainly hasn't been praised all year around here. There's no sudden backflip at all.

Apey

Staff member

Spot On

Coach
The only perceived backflip is in the heads of those who come here for two minutes and pretend to know the thoughts and opinions of those who follow this team and post regularly year in, year out.

I also believe some people don't really watch individual players closely enough to have a strong opinion of them. Evidenced by some of the rhetoric in some of the posts above.

aqua_duck

Coach
His big hits have been missing this year as well. Last year you could bank on him every match to put on 1-2 shots that would make it to the highlights reel. This year only one shot stands out in my mind. I can't remember who it was on or what game it was in, just that I found myself thinking, "where has that been all year??"

I think that perhaps it has been coached out of him by Bennett? He may have identified the hits as a weakness in our defensive line and has been getting the team to instead focus on getting numbers into the tackle and wrapping the ball up.

The whole situation reminds me a bit of Paterson. In his first season he looked like he was running against little kids, offloading and breaking the line at will- but his defence was a liability. In his second season that completely reversed. We were all hoping that in his third season he would put the two together, but it never eventuated.

Similar to Edwards, minus the bit about having good attack. :)
Pato has more talent in his toenails than Eddy could ever dream of

stuke

Bench
Ryan will be there, Reni was your best on field last week against Brissy and Ben Smith is a walk up start. Not to mention Horo, Paulo and Tautai. Paulo is great find. Could be anything. I'd gladly take Matt Ryan now if Parra don't won't him. If you guys keep winning I can see Hindy changing his mind as well.

And yes, at NRL level there is a big difference with who sits on your bench. A weak bench gets found out very quickly. Eddie best shot at the top 17 going forward is the bench when injury arises.

So, you've watched him closely the past two seasons. What are his strengths in your opinion. The things he does well that warrant a run on start for an NRL team.

No, read it again. Doesn't have to be a run-on player to be integral to the squad.

I believe that Joel has the attitude and ability to make it. He has played 2 full seasons of first grade at the age of 24 as a forward. Wayne Bennett has seen enough in him to play him all year (despite him not playing to his potential throughout the year - I'm sure he would admit that), yet you guys are carrying on like he is a leper because he has backed himself and leaving the club.

As per Parra's situation, as soon as you bring up Tautai you have lost it. Reni has been very much average this year, apart from last week. Ryan has played 10 - 12 first grade games in his life, Horo is going through a playing crisis and needs to redevelop himself and we are losing our heart and soul to retirement (I don't buy into the paper talk of him changing his mind). Majority of Parra fans would agree that second row is an area of weakness for us.

stuke

Bench
What makes u think Wayne hadn't tried to develop his game. He is very limited in his skill set. I also think he is an absolute paycheck player. The sort of player i am stoked to get rid of. Canberra are clueless. 200 k for a substandard first grader. What a laugh!

What makes you think that Wayne has tried to develop him?

Have a look at what Wayne has done with what he had there this year. Who would you say has really blossomed throughout the year - not just the last 6 weeks?

Then there is Wes has been hopeless all year - he rubber stamped the 3 year contract but couldn't get anything out of him. Another in Sau who he at least tried to develop and add passing to his reportoire but didn't work. Again he would have rubber stamped that contract while other teams were chasing him.

There's two blokes that you will be paying $ for next year that eat into your cap because Wayne hasn't developed them and made the choice to sign them.

Lucky Bennett has the reputation and can sign players from elsewhere, though that flies in the face of Tinkler's vision ;-).

stuke

Bench
The only perceived backflip is in the heads of those who come here for two minutes and pretend to know the thoughts and opinions of those who follow this team and post regularly year in, year out.

I also believe some people don't really watch individual players closely enough to have a strong opinion of them. Evidenced by some of the rhetoric in some of the posts above.

:lol: So if you post here you know all about the team? Is that why Dane Laurie has had such a big impact this year?

aqua_duck

Coach
No, read it again. Doesn't have to be a run-on player to be integral to the squad.

I believe that Joel has the attitude and ability to make it. He has played 2 full seasons of first grade at the age of 24 as a forward. Wayne Bennett has seen enough in him to play him all year (despite him not playing to his potential throughout the year - I'm sure he would admit that), yet you guys are carrying on like he is a leper because he has backed himself and leaving the club.

As per Parra's situation, as soon as you bring up Tautai you have lost it. Reni has been very much average this year, apart from last week. Ryan has played 10 - 12 first grade games in his life, Horo is going through a playing crisis and needs to redevelop himself and we are losing our heart and soul to retirement (I don't buy into the paper talk of him changing his mind). Majority of Parra fans would agree that second row is an area of weakness for us.

If you want to use Tautai as a reference, Tautai is the same age and played about 25 more games in 1st grade. Eddy would be sitting on the bench for Parra next year too behind Reni, Daniel Harrison, Matt Ryan, Ben Smith, Joseph Paulo, etc.
The only reason he's in our team week in week out is because Richie Fa'aoso, and Evarn are not Bennett style players, Snowden is injured and Costigan has been below par. If we had a half decent backrow he'd be in NSW cup, a place he would've found himself in next year anyway.
You keep talking about his ability, what ability do you see that none of us can see?
His biggest asset is the odd big hit, besides that he's undersized, below average athletic ability, below average work rate, no hole running ability, no real ball playing ability and below average lateral quickness.
Please tell me I'm wrong on any of those listed attributes

KempoKnight

Juniors
If you want to use Tautai as a reference, Tautai is the same age and played about 25 more games in 1st grade. Eddy would be sitting on the bench for Parra next year too behind Reni, Daniel Harrison, Matt Ryan, Ben Smith, Joseph Paulo, etc.
The only reason he's in our team week in week out is because Richie Fa'aoso, and Evarn are not Bennett style players, Snowden is injured and Costigan has been below par. If we had a half decent backrow he'd be in NSW cup, a place he would've found himself in next year anyway.
You keep talking about his ability, what ability do you see that none of us can see?
His biggest asset is the odd big hit, besides that he's undersized, below average athletic ability, below average work rate, no hole running ability, no real ball playing ability and below average lateral quickness.

Also add to the fact that we cant play anymore players for the year due to cap restraints ( Rochow and KOD were I believe the last 2 we could bring up and thats only because fa'aoso went to melb mid year ) and you see how hes been getting game time.

stuke

Bench
Please KempoKnight! He's played ALL year. It's not injuries and salary cap pressure that is keeping him in first grade.

stuke

Bench

How I have used Tautai as a reference? I replied to Spot On. Learn to read. Tautai's games have been for 2 of the most underperforming clubs in the last 5 years. What does that say about him?

Why do respected judges like Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart rate him? Why did the Knights not release him to Leeds last year when they wanted him for Buderus? Why has Wayne played him all year?

Go back and dream about Daine Laurie - cause he's big!

Last edited:

KempoKnight

Juniors
So the fact that we literally cannot promote another 2nd rower and the only guys we can bring up to replace him are front rowers has nothing to do with it.
Ok gotcha mate :crazy:

KempoKnight

Juniors
How I have used Tautai as a reference? I replied to Spot On. Learn to read. Tautai's games have been for 2 of the most underperforming clubs in the last 5 years. What does that say about him?

Why do respected judges like Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart rate him? Why did the Knights not release him to Leeds last year when they wanted him for Buderus? Why has Wayne played him all year?

Show me anywhere anytime any of this was said.

aqua_duck

Coach

Last year his form was quite decent and he showed a few good signs but this year he's plateaued to the point where he's even starting to regress. Team have also figured him out, last year big lumbering forwards were trying to run over the top of him because of his lack of size but they've now realised that that was the wrong approach and they're sending more mobile players at him and he's been found out. In terms of attack, I think many people thought he was just keeping his tricks in the bag till he got abit more confidence but now they've realised his bag is actually empty.
In terms of bringing up Taulima Tautai, well you mentioned that Edwards have achieved a certyain number of first grade games at age 24 yet you dismissed Tautai completely, you can't have it both ways.
If you look through my post and others post you'll find we've been very critical of him this year, he's kind of been handed a first grade spot by default because of other factors and because he probably suits the bennett gameplan abit better than guys like Fa'aoso and Tuimavave, outside those guys, Hilder has fallen off the face of the earth, Zeb was out of favour at the start of the year (and his form was turn after coming back from a major injury), McKinnon is still a rookie, Costigan has been a dud and Cuthbertson is better suited off the bench.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Still waiting for Stuke to answer the question; what are the attributes that he sees that Edwards possesses? I'm the 3rd or 4th post that's asked this question, so I don't expect an answer...

Latest posts