What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

stuke

Bench
Your answer to what attributes does he have is because 'he is a solid player'?

I have witnessed some vague answers to questions, but that takes the cake.

You were asked what his attributes are. Saying he's a solid player isn't attributes. Saying he's got a good offload, runs good lines, often makes tackle busts, has a good ability to find the try line. These are attributes. Saying he is a 'solid player' doesn't cut it.
If that's all I wrote it is vague, but it's not. You need to read more than the first few words. Then again you were calling for Daine Laurie to play 1st grade so you wouldn't know the type of player that Tony Grimaldi was. Ask your dad.

juniorknight

Juniors
After reading through this thread I have to say that as a lifelong Knights fan I am disappointed that Eddy is leaving although I don't think he is irreplaceable. I am concerned at the direction our club is taking under Wayne. If we sign an injury prone 32yr old as a replacement to go with many other on the wrong side of 29 means that our team in 2015 will be just like the Dragons this year - old, indecline & not much chance of improving. Scott is another who I am yet to be convinced he will add anything that we are missing.

IMHO we needed to keep guys like Eddy for the future

Jono078

Referee
A future of being on the cusp of making the top 8? No thanks.

I don't care who Wayne brings in. One of the top priorities is to get us a premiership in the next 3 years.

Nuffy

Bench
A solid offer without any concessions for salary cap increases. Why would anyone sign a 3 year contract without stipulations with the conjecture over the salary cap increase coming in soon?

That's a joke right, superstars might get that clause, but plonkers don't. He got the 200k deal before Christmas, turned it down and when the contract merry-go-round stopped the second time his value was reassessed.

His value to a team was on show last night, a simple miss on Eastwood which lead to the second try and an even worse miss on Reynolds which lead to try 4.

The bloke will disappear onto the bench at Canberra and will only hold a spot if injuries dictate.

He is a back rower from the 80's mould and the reason he got a leg up was because he was from the region.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
After reading through this thread I have to say that as a lifelong Knights fan I am disappointed that Eddy is leaving although I don't think he is irreplaceable. I am concerned at the direction our club is taking under Wayne. If we sign an injury prone 32yr old as a replacement to go with many other on the wrong side of 29 means that our team in 2015 will be just like the Dragons this year - old, indecline & not much chance of improving. Scott is another who I am yet to be convinced he will add anything that we are missing.

I think you'll see plenty of young blokes banging on the door in three and half years time mate. Don't worry too much. The production line will be up and running when Wayne departs. And it will be that way for years to come.

Bennett is trying to balance the development of structures at the club beyond his time and winning a Premiership in the short term. Not an easy task. He'll need to bring in some talent. Did you see Jeremy Smith today? Awesome!

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Smith isn't even that injury prone.

Played 18 games for Cronulla last year and 16 games this year.

At 32, he's 100000000x better than Edwards.

Spot On

Coach
Did I say I did?

No, that's why I asked as I'm not going back to find something that most probably isn't there. You seem to do a lot of writing(quantity) but leave little quality or answers to questions others have asked.

stuke

Bench
No, that's why I asked as I'm not going back to find something that most probably isn't there. You seem to do a lot of writing(quantity) but leave little quality or answers to questions others have asked.

Yet you have answered nothing that I have posed to you, except to say that others have answered it. You do need to read if you are going to try and call people out on things. Try it sometime, it's good for you.

Spot On

Coach
Yet you have answered nothing that I have posed to you, except to say that others have answered it. You do need to read if you are going to try and call people out on things. Try it sometime, it's good for you.

What was it that wasn't answered?

Yosh

Coach
Jeez... Some people will argue anything... I was honestly SHOCKED to hear he got a 3 year 200k a year offer.... What a waste of money... Have fun Raiders.

Nuffy

Bench

Welcome JK.

Eddy is 24 and hasn't developed another dimension to his game, he is a less professional version of Marquet. Teams need more from back rowers than he is capable of.

If his defensive workload and technique were flawless he might be worth more but he is a small back rower, who can't go eighty and misses more than his fair share of one on one tackles.

He won't be missed but from his perspective, he is missing the chance to develop his game under an all time great in his home town.

Good luck to the bloke but he was never a talent that demanded retention.

Stuke at the end of the day what do u really have to gain from all this mate? We could be here all day debating this but the fact is the line in the sand is drawn. Edwards is history and, democratically speaking, most people are glad cos we see him as very average. If you think we should sign subpar local juniors despite untold levels of mediocrity then you are out of touch with the realities of the modern game. There were three local juniors in the Bulldogs starting 17 on Saturday.

Last edited:

juniorknight

Juniors
Thanks for the welcome Nuffy.

I disagree that he can't play 80 as he did several times this year and it's only since he has moved back to lock which under the Bennet system only ever plays the same minutes as the props - roughly 2 x 20mims.

I think Joel does offer footwork at the line as he has shown on a number of occasions eg twice stepped Burgess in the Souths game while KOD went straight into him and we know how that ended so my concern while I'm not trying to pick a fight here is that aqua duck and a few others obviously have a personal problem with Eddy rather than anything actually worthwhile. He does need to be more consistent with his work rate but if you watch the game closely you might notice that he is often a decoy or Willie pushes him out the way. Wether this is due to the players thinking they can do a better job than him I don't know but to say he has no ball skills etc just shows that some people here don't actually watch the games rather just look at the stats. He needs a big pack to get a roll on and the. I think you would see the best out of him.

Our club was founded on blokes with plenty of tomorrow's. How many tomorrow's will the team of 2013 how? I can see a good side next year but then I can see the recruitment being all wrong in that it is so short term we won't be anywhere in 3 years. Who will develop into our next hooker, other than Sims who else is promising in the forwards and other than occasional good things from Roberts he is far from anywhere near the next halfback superstars of DCE & Reynolds etc.

I was very happy when Wayne took over but I really think that while I know he wants to win here in the next few years that he isn't giving a shit about OUR team as he will be retired up the coast most likely while we get on here and lament the quality of our side

Spot On

Coach
Thanks for the welcome Nuffy.

I disagree that he can't play 80 as he did several times this year and it's only since he has moved back to lock which under the Bennet system only ever plays the same minutes as the props - roughly 2 x 20mims.

I think Joel does offer footwork at the line as he has shown on a number of occasions eg twice stepped Burgess in the Souths game while KOD went straight into him and we know how that ended so my concern while I'm not trying to pick a fight here is that aqua duck and a few others obviously have a personal problem with Eddy rather than anything actually worthwhile. He does need to be more consistent with his work rate but if you watch the game closely you might notice that he is often a decoy or Willie pushes him out the way. Wether this is due to the players thinking they can do a better job than him I don't know but to say he has no ball skills etc just shows that some people here don't actually watch the games rather just look at the stats. He needs a big pack to get a roll on and the. I think you would see the best out of him.

Our club was founded on blokes with plenty of tomorrow's. How many tomorrow's will the team of 2013 how? I can see a good side next year but then I can see the recruitment being all wrong in that it is so short term we won't be anywhere in 3 years. Who will develop into our next hooker, other than Sims who else is promising in the forwards and other than occasional good things from Roberts he is far from anywhere near the next halfback superstars of DCE & Reynolds etc.

I was very happy when Wayne took over but I really think that while I know he wants to win here in the next few years that he isn't giving a shit about OUR team as he will be retired up the coast most likely while we get on here and lament the quality of our side[/QUOTE]

Do you think this because the club has drawn a line in the sand with Eddie after he refused the last offer made to him? The Dragon's had no halves when Bennett turned up at St George. He pulled a rabbit out of the hat by getting a player no one wanted and a fullback to combine in the halves to win a comp.

We have a very young backline atm with the exception of Tahu. We have a couple old fellas in Bedsy and Mase with a few hard heads to arrive next year but we have youth to mix in as well.

Replacing Bedsy is a problem I agree. I see he and Gidley combining next season and then possibly having to purchase a young dummy half from somewhere unless a local steps up.

Nuffy

Bench
JK

I think most don't have an issue with him but are rather perplexed that a 24 year old back rower with about 20 games under his belt (at the time) and not the game to play rep footy, knocked back a 600k contract to play for his home town club.

He then puts himself on the market and frankly does nothing to advance his claims and goes backwards in the pecking order and contract status.

He could have stayed at his home town team, he chose not to, as his his right but there seems to be a perception that somehow he was undervalued by the club and forced out.

If he wanted more money he needs to show more and I just don't think he has much to his game, I don't know that he will be able to change his skill set. I reckon Rochow suggests that he will be a better prospect.

It seems that Canberra reckon that he is worth 200k and we did too, he just thought he was worth more.

stuke

Bench
Stuke at the end of the day what do u really have to gain from all this mate? We could be here all day debating this but the fact is the line in the sand is drawn. Edwards is history and, democratically speaking, most people are glad cos we see him as very average. If you think we should sign subpar local juniors despite untold levels of mediocrity then you are out of touch with the realities of the modern game. There were three local juniors in the Bulldogs starting 17 on Saturday.

Not gaining anything at all, just like the rest of us on here. I am a regular 'watcher' of the Knights forum as I live in the area and have a bit of a soft spot for them due to this, despite being a Parra fan.

I stated a very simple question - if Edwards was half as bad as the majority on here are going on about then why does Bennett, who I'm sure we all agree is a better judge of football talent than us, keep picking him. That was my original post.

For some reason Spot On decided I thought he was a 'star' and it has all run off on several different tangents ;-). I do find it amusing, and while Spot On may feel I haven't answered the questions posed I definitely have not been answered from the original post, or the several other questions I have posed since, mainly about Bennett and his overall worth and development of the team since his arrival.

Do I think that players should be signed just because they are 'juniors'. No. Nowhere have I said that. I did question the loyalty that the Knights regime are displaying since Tinkler took over - to me it bares similarities to when Brian Smith was lambasted from pillar to post - as it is something that the officials seem to hang their hat on when it is convenient.

Apey

Staff member
So it seems some people have remained conned by his few big hits forever ago. He is very average.

Latest posts