What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloeel

Juniors
And after 8 years at the helm, if we aren’t premiership contenders, it is time to move Arthur and his assistants on.

In other words what your saying is that BA (and assistants) needs to be moved on in order for us to be premiership contenders?

I reckon possibly we could get more consistency from a new coach - but a new coach won't automatically turn us into premiership contenders.

Shafting the coach just provides some comfort to the fans and club officials that we are doing what we can to become contenders - some short lived relief. It does not change the fact that our organisation as a whole simply does not stack up to that of the elite sides.

Parra fans think giving the coach the arse will change everything. Don't you think if it was the magical move to do then maybe we would have won a few premierships in the last 36 years??

Gronk

Staff member
We are in the same position as 2020/21 just prior to his last extension.

My view is unchanged and there seem to be a few on here that I share it with. Don't make change for the sake of change. Make change if you can slot in a better option.

Whoever they pick, I wish them the best of luck because Eels fans will give him a very short honeymoon period.

TheRam

Coach
That’s my problem as well. You might get a little sugar hit with a new coach but if we are going to replace BA you want someone that can help deliver long term success.

We are a high profile club that has performed well for the last 3-4 years. We should aim for a genuine improvement on BA.

We the Eels are the gimcrack of the NRL and I can't see that changing anytime soon. It's just not in our DNA.

And Pou is the gimcrack of this forum. Talks fancy but in the end it all ends up being waffle in support of plodders and failed mediocrity simply dressed up as deluded idolized success.

So to all other gimcracks in the world, we salute you!

hindy111

Post Whore
I've answered this question already. But here you go again.

Who I think our next NRL coach should be.

What I would do if and when BA fails to win us a Premiership at the end of this season is go and try and convince Tim Sheens to be our next coach for two seasons. Hand him the keys to this Ferrari and tell him we are all in with whatever he needs. But I would also ask him if he would take Cameron Ciraldo as his understudy just like Wayne Bennett had Jason Demetriou at Souths.

I think that Ciraldo would go for it knowing that he would be guaranteed the NRL job at the end of it and the opportunity to be mentored by someone else that is also a great premiership coach that knows more about the game then almost anyone else at present and that it would round off his coaching apprenticeship just perfectly before he stepped into the big shoes.

Then also after the two seasons that Sheens has been coach I would tell Sheens that we have a Director of Junior Football job waiting for him that he can step right into. He is brilliant at setting up a club at all the lower levels and junior development and identification, but without all the fan fair and nonsense that Gus offers with it. I would offer him a 3 year contract with a 2 year club option. Also he and Mark O'Neill are old mates and I believe would probably work well together. I think that if we did it right we would have a good chance to get both and have a very strong coaching brains trust that could take us to the next level.

Also I think we should recommend to both Sheens and Ciraldo that if they like and agreed we take Trent Barrett on board when the Bulldogs spear him as our Attack coach, then we would have the 2 guys that helped Penrith get to play the way they do now. That would be a pretty formidable 3 pronged coaching team wouldn't it? Also if we kept consultants like Michael Ennis and brought others of similar quality on, we would be surrounding the squad with more knowledge and success then this club has had in its coaching ranks for quite a while.

If we couldn't convince Sheens to leave the Tigers(it would be very disappointing if we we couldn't) then I would offer Ciraldo the head coaching job straight away and and ask him if he wants Barrett when he is available. But for our current team I feel Sheens would give us a slightly better chance of nailing a premiership due to his formidable knowledge and experience. Not saying Ciraldo couldn't get us there though, just that Sheens has that experience and won't make any rookie mistakes that no matter how good a young coach is will invariably they make because of that lack of NRL experience. It takes a few seasons for all coaches to get it bedded down more or less.

Anyway that is what I would do and I think if anything like that were to happen we would be in brilliant hands for the next 5-10 years and be a very attractive club to come to. However this is all pie in the sky stuff and I can't see our club having this kind of forward thinking. I think they will ride out BA's contract and then react and hope there is someone of quality to appoint, but by then I think Ciraldo will be at the Dogs and they wouldn't dream of Sheens being part of this club, even though in my opinion he is probably the best coach that isn't coaching at present, with more experience then almost anyone in the game and knows how to win premierships and a great judge of footballers.

He is a man manager and knows what footballers want and need to get them playing to the best of their abilities. All he needs is the cattle and boy do we have the cattle for him right now. They just need someone of his quality and experience to get them to the finished product before it is to late.

Brilliant post

hindy111

Post Whore
Right now only penrith and melbourne seem to be clear contenders .....

we had a shit night ... i would probably even say we had a normal "Darwin night" and the cowboys had a good one. We obviously totally rolled over at the end to let it be a blowout.

Im not trying to say we werent f**ked .... but its May and we are 4th. So obviously all other teams except 2 are all over the place too.

Yeah we have old heads who enjoy a good sleep and rest. We are not young bucks.

Aslong as we make the finals we will give it a shake. Just these older guys struggle to get it up every week.
Is it BAs fault? Yes to a degree but it's just the group he has put together also. Moses will never be that guy. He has improved but will never be that leader where in a big moment he just steps up and leads the side to glory.
If we win a title it is cause we co trolled the game and played well. Not some heroics.

At same time BA can not just go and say we need this and that and go buy it. Sometimes you have the chance and a lot of the time you pay overs for it.

Penrith where not great against the Titans. They won but where fairly average.

We will unleash Marata, Blake,Sivo soon. Would you day they are our 3 most powerfull ball runners? I'd say 3 of our top 5 for sure. Once back we will start barrelling sides a lot easier.

Anyhows I just finished lunch and for first time in 3 yrs I had rabbit. I am thinking a lot clearer now. Things make sense.

Will post photos later.

f**k u

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't think you could squeeze much more juice out of our current squad. Maybe a little bit more consistency.

Its not even close to Penrith and the Storm. We don't have a geniune superstar in any position.

For us to be successful with a new coach they will have to improve the roster to improve our performances.

Depends. We certainly can play smarter and have better set plays. We also play low risk football. I'm sure there is room for improvement here.
It also comes down to how they use players and the bench. I'd still drop Brown to the bench with Papa and have Marata,Matterson and Lane start.
Bringing BROWN,PAPPA,KAFUSI off bench I like.

Once available Sivo and Blake are my wingers. I do like what Simmonson is doing but I like Opacic defense. Two powerfull wingers and Penisini will be a handful. Just play the possesion game and pound away. Strong guys running at you drains your energy and ability to attack. And when your tired you make poor decisions in both attack and defense.

Problem with a power game is it is great for finals but maintaining that level for 24 rnds is tough.

If we did not make finals or out first week I would rissole BA. Nothing personal just time for a new era. Better or worse? Who knows.

Noise

Coach
Right now only penrith and melbourne seem to be clear contenders .....

we had a shit night ... i would probably even say we had a normal "Darwin night" and the cowboys had a good one. We obviously totally rolled over at the end to let it be a blowout.

Im not trying to say we werent f**ked .... but its May and we are 4th. So obviously all other teams except 2 are all over the place too.
5th.

hindy111

Post Whore
Put all League unlimited Parra fans names in a hat

1st drawn = head coach
2nd and 3rd drawn = Assistants

I feel like I would have the side top 4 if I ran the team. Ram would be the attack coach and Elementary the defense.

Strider would be in charge of the diets with IALB.
Pou I'd use as the statics guys and data.

Gary would be in charge of mad Monday and the odd weekend away to bond the side.

Avenger would be the motivational speaker.

And of course let's not forget Gronk. We'll need someone to polish the trophy cabinet. And of course clean the toilets.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yeah we have old heads who enjoy a good sleep and rest. We are not young bucks.

Aslong as we make the finals we will give it a shake. Just these older guys struggle to get it up every week.
Is it BAs fault? Yes to a degree but it's just the group he has put together also. Moses will never be that guy. He has improved but will never be that leader where in a big moment he just steps up and leads the side to glory.
If we win a title it is cause we co trolled the game and played well. Not some heroics.

At same time BA can not just go and say we need this and that and go buy it. Sometimes you have the chance and a lot of the time you pay overs for it.

Penrith where not great against the Titans. They won but where fairly average.

We will unleash Marata, Blake,Sivo soon. Would you day they are our 3 most powerfull ball runners? I'd say 3 of our top 5 for sure. Once back we will start barrelling sides a lot easier.

Anyhows I just finished lunch and for first time in 3 yrs I had rabbit. I am thinking a lot clearer now. Things make sense.

Will post photos later.

f**k u
Fu*king Rabbit?

hindy111

Post Whore
We are in the same position as 2020/21 just prior to his last extension.

My view is unchanged and there seem to be a few on here that I share it with. Don't make change for the sake of change. Make change if you can slot in a better option.

Whoever they pick, I wish them the best of luck because Eels fans will give him a very short honeymoon period.

f**k of merkin. Go clean the toilets and bring me a coffee. And I want them sparkly clean.
Toilet boy

Wally21

Bench
In other words what your saying is that BA (and assistants) needs to be moved on in order for us to be premiership contenders?

I reckon possibly we could get more consistency from a new coach - but a new coach won't automatically turn us into premiership contenders.

Shafting the coach just provides some comfort to the fans and club officials that we are doing what we can to become contenders - some short lived relief. It does not change the fact that our organisation as a whole simply does not stack up to that of the elite sides.

Parra fans think giving the coach the arse will change everything. Don't you think if it was the magical move to do then maybe we would have won a few premierships in the last 36 years??
Interesting argument. There is absolutely no guarantee that under a new coach we will be premiership contenders, however, if you turn over the roster, you inject cash and the club develops better facilities, centre of excellence etc. what else would you do?
So you’re suggesting not to change the coach if he can’t turn us into title contenders, just stick with him and be happy to always run 4th.
Sounds like a fabulous plan… 🙄