What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Ryles

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Cheika

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Interesting argument. There is absolutely no guarantee that under a new coach we will be premiership contenders, however, if you turn over the roster, you inject cash and the club develops better facilities, centre of excellence etc. what else would you do?
So you’re suggesting not to change the coach if he can’t turn us into title contenders, just stick with him and be happy to always run 4th.
Sounds like a fabulous plan… 🙄
Invariably when someone says “So you’re suggesting….” they end up looking like a Wally.

I feel like I would have the side top 4 if I ran the team. Ram would be the attack coach and Elementary the defense.

Strider would be in charge of the diets with IALB.
Pou I'd use as the statics guys and data.

Gary would be in charge of mad Monday and the odd weekend away to bond the side.

Avenger would be the motivational speaker.

And of course let's not forget Gronk. We'll need someone to polish the trophy cabinet. And of course clean the toilets.
Hot beef injections for everyone!

Gronk

Staff member
Interesting argument. There is absolutely no guarantee that under a new coach we will be premiership contenders, however, if you turn over the roster, you inject cash and the club develops better facilities, centre of excellence etc. what else would you do?
So you’re suggesting not to change the coach if he can’t turn us into title contenders, just stick with him and be happy to always run 4th.
Sounds like a fabulous plan… 🙄
Actually I think he said don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

No coach will be at a club forever, however name a coach transition in NRL history that has had instant success ? I bet they are rare. Hell even Ivan didn't make the 8 when he was parachuted into the Panthers job.

Do you want a new coach with a 5 year plan so it's "his team" or do you want a coach who can hit the ground running ?

I'm not adverse to a new coach, just take that leap when you have a better option lined up.

Angry_eel

First Grade
One of the confusing things about this squad and coach is how the manage to be hot and cold but then good enough to be with the best come finals time. e.g. Last year, I had given up on finals around July. Along came a win against the Storm and eventual wins and losses with a hard fought loss to Penrith. I wasn't expecting that at all.

I am certainly pissed that we haven't signed a super star since Blake Ferguson and he's now gone. I think Brad's problem is he rates forwards more than backs. Both are important and he's ignored the backs. Penrith have a great engine room of forwards but they have amazing backs who can open up a game.

In summary, I'll reserve my judgement til the finals. If we don't make the grand final and don't get rid of Brad, I'll not renew my membership which is the only tangible thing I can do. I'll use that $600 for more important things.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah we have old heads who enjoy a good sleep and rest. We are not young bucks.

Aslong as we make the finals we will give it a shake. Just these older guys struggle to get it up every week.
Is it BAs fault? Yes to a degree but it's just the group he has put together also. Moses will never be that guy. He has improved but will never be that leader where in a big moment he just steps up and leads the side to glory.
If we win a title it is cause we co trolled the game and played well. Not some heroics.

At same time BA can not just go and say we need this and that and go buy it. Sometimes you have the chance and a lot of the time you pay overs for it.

Penrith where not great against the Titans. They won but where fairly average.

We will unleash Marata, Blake,Sivo soon. Would you day they are our 3 most powerfull ball runners? I'd say 3 of our top 5 for sure. Once back we will start barrelling sides a lot easier.

Anyhows I just finished lunch and for first time in 3 yrs I had rabbit. I am thinking a lot clearer now. Things make sense.

Will post photos later.

f**k u
You are what you eat ... f**kin rabbit

strider

Post Whore
I feel like I would have the side top 4 if I ran the team. Ram would be the attack coach and Elementary the defense.

Strider would be in charge of the diets with IALB.
Pou I'd use as the statics guys and data.

Gary would be in charge of mad Monday and the odd weekend away to bond the side.

Avenger would be the motivational speaker.

And of course let's not forget Gronk. We'll need someone to polish the trophy cabinet. And of course clean the toilets.
Ffs dont put me in charge of diet. We would be f**ked

Eelementary

Post Whore
Instant success:

Trent Robinson
Ricky Stuart

Both won the Premiership in their first seasons as NRL Head Coaches.

Ironically (or not), both were coaching the Roosters...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That’s like sacking BA and replacing him with Tugga Coleman.
f u middle finger GIF by Midland

Eelementary

Post Whore
First job as defensive coach: teach all these merkins how to be more physical in defence.

We're too happy to wait for the attackers to come to us, before initiating contact.

This is a tactic to reduce the likelihood of creating a gap in our defensive line; however, it does not pressure the attacking team.

Great teams attack with their defence - they dominate the collision.

Second job as new defensive coach: I want all those merkins talking to each other.

The amount of times I've seen 3 Eels go into a tackle, to have one Eel peel off the tackle, turn around, jog back into position, and see another attacker waltz past him...

Talk to each other, guys.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ive noticed the new defensive tactic which involves holding the attacker upright (not new) then the third man (usually Api K) lifting one of the the attackers legs. Sometimes the attacker then falls or is spun around all ensuring the slowing of the ruck. Other options are to hold until the ref calls held then force the attacker to the ground. Probably all highly illegal but it works and mostly ignored by the officials. It all slows the ptb.
Our Eels just try to get the attacker on the ground with little intent to get him on his back. Two defenders then jump up while the third legs tackler is left on the ground. We also are poor at holding our position at marker allowing the attacker to move forward or to his side ensuring the marker is taken out of play. Also as a result of all this we often only have one marker in place.
Its all technique to bend the rules. Works well for Penrith, Storm and Chooks.
Nothing ever changes at our Eels. Just dont miss your tackles boys. Change is good.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
My sources tell me we've been working on similar moves to get them on their backs but we are adding in a shanghai cravat at the end.

Latest posts