What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Both Hannay and Ryles are unknowns. It's laughable that we're considering either. It's absolutely amateur hour.

What stats can anyone pull out on Hannay besides sitting next to Billy. What about Ryles besides hearing Bellamy blow up in the box 📦

All I know about Ryles is that he was the defensive coach at the Roosters in 2022 .

Hannay? If pau pau was so smart, tell us is he in charge of attack or defence, and where are the stats to support him

The three amigos doing the interviews can't go with either of these two otherwise we're looking at multiple bottom 4 finishes.
The only reason people are choosing Hannay is because they think he's going to pull a few qldr's to parra. That's it.
None of them are Bennett or Bellamy. In that case does it really f**king matter who the coach is?

He's won a premiership. He did shoot himself in the foot with Tigertown.
He’s done so poorly after his stint with us, he’s NSW state of origin coach!

There’s no more important position in the game.

When we finally make contact with Aliens, would you rather Madge meet them or Billy?

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
He’s done so poorly after his stint with us, he’s NSW state of origin coach!

There’s no more important position in the game.

When we finally make contact with Aliens, would you rather Madge meet them or Billy?
I meant the tv series Tigertown, not the stint at West Tigers. Showing private videos on TV for future use never goes well. That's why no coach allows this.

Wally21

Bench
I meant the tv series Tigertown, not the stint at West Tigers. Showing private videos on TV for future use never goes well. That's why no coach allows this.
I wonder if it was a vanity project on his behalf that backfired spectacularly?? Or did the club receive a big bag of cash and made it clear that he had to have cameras follow them?
It was great viewing as an impartial observer, but would have been tough to watch as a supporter.

hindy111

Post Whore
My opinion is that not appointing Cheika is a massive opportunity lost.
We have a decent roster although we lack depth. What we need is a man manager and motivator. The club needs a MASSIVE shakeup.
It is my belief that of all the contenders for the coaching position Cheika was (?) the only person properly qualified to do this.
Parramatta still doing Parramatta things.

It's going to be JH no doubts

Eelementary

Post Whore

Jason Demetriou and Michael Cheika out of Parramatta Eels’ head coaching race, Josh Hannay and Jason Ryles top candidates​

Josh Hannay and Jason Ryles are the frontrunners for Parramatta’s head coaching role after moving to the next stage of interviews with club heavyweights.

The battle between Jason Ryles and Josh Hannay for the Parramatta head coaching job has intensified after the pair made the final cut in the race to replace Brad Arthur.

Ryles and Hannay were widely regarded as the favourites to fight out the Eels job and nothing has changed after the interviews with the short-listed candidates, which also included former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika, ex-South Sydney mentor Jason Demetriou and interim coach Trent Barrett.

Demetriou confirmed on Monday on Triple M’s Monday Scrum that he had missed out on the final stage while it is understood Cheika has also been overlooked.

While it is unclear how many coaches are still in the mix after interviews were conducted with chair Sean McElduff, chief executive Jim Sarantinos and head of football Mark O’Neill, what is known is that Ryles and Hannay remain the leading contenders as Eels officials prepare to conduct a second round of interviews before announcing their new coach, most likely in the middle of July.

It is understood a number of the initial interviews were held at Sarantinos’ house as the club looked to keep their search for a new head coach out of the public eye.

Ryles has a contract in place at Melbourne but it is understood the Storm have been kept abreast of his talks with Parramatta and will not stand in his way if he is offered the job.

Sharks officials are also supportive of Hannay’s quest to land the Eels job.

Barrett, who stepped into the job when Brad Arthur was sacked, has had mixed success since taking over and it is believed his public campaign to become head coach hasn’t helped him in his bid to replace Arthur.

A number of senior players including captain Clint Gutherson and halfback Mitchell Moses spoke out in support of Barrett but the club is expected to head in a different direction as they decided to look outside the club for Arthur’s successor.

Ryles has been knocking on the door of head coaching for some time, having been an assistant at the Storm and Sydney Roosters as well as with Eddie Jones with English rugby union.

He returned to Melbourne late last year in a move which many believed gave him the inside running to replace Craig Bellamy when eventually decided to step aside. When Bellamy decided to continue coaching next year, the Eels job offered Ryles an opportunity to move into head coaching elsewhere and he is now close to achieving that goal as he finds himself locked in a battle with Hannay to take over the Parramatta job.

Eww.

jason taylor

Bench
Hannay is my pick as long as he learnt from his experience of being exiled to the Gymea Gorillas by Ricky Stuart that dropping unwanted players to park football is a legitimate tactic to get rid of them.

I am starting to get a smell that this whole serach process is a charade and waste of time to make it look like the club did its due diligence.

If it was always down to two why have we wasted a 3-4 weeks process interviewing candidates who were never a chance.
Try as you might, you can’t beat Tim Sheens binning 16 candidates and appointing himself.

Gronk

Staff member
I am starting to get a smell that this whole serach process is a charade and waste of time to make it look like the club did its due diligence.

If it was always down to two why have we wasted a 3-4 weeks process interviewing candidates who were never a chance.
Have you reached that conclusion simply because your preferred candidate didn't make it to the second round ?

If not, how do you possible reach that conclusion ?

emjaycee

Coach
One of my mates got a Member's email about 36 hours ago that indicated that Cheika's last stint with the Wallabies and how that ended may have gone against him - I don't profess to know any details of what happened there.

His email also inferred that yes, Ryles and Hannay were the top 2 preferred candidates (and were 2 years ago too), however proper due diligence would require that other candidates be considered and interviewed as part of the process. I don't see anything wrong with this approach. It is exactly what happens in recruitment for most senior/exec positions in the real world.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We're at the semi final stage now guys. Let's face it, any of them will do.

View attachment 89850
If i was making the decision i would do a 5 week trial with each of them so after 25 weeks the full season is basically complete then decide if any of them are still a good fit moving forward for the following season if i am not satisfied just get a new batch in the following year and ill do it all over again.

Gotta find a winner at some point.

Latest posts