What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels snare Poore and Shackleton

Special K

Coach
Poore and Shackleton just gave you instant credibility. Your pack has gone from a laughing stock to an awesome one. Poore and the love shack will bring out much needed aggression in your current laid back forwards. Well done, as a sharks fan i'm spewing we missed out on Poore.

Agent Mulder

Bench
That has been the word on the street so seems pretty likely and would be a damn shame. With that said, he isnt proven at senior level yet and if he didnt want to fight for a pretty vacant halves spot in the top team with only Morts, Keating and Robson in front of him then i say its his loss.

Yeah your prolly right and we cant keep them all, I was really impressed with Mortimer on the weekend and i believe he is our future and we still have Keating to come back so its looking pretty good.

strider

Post Whore
I actually feel an ounce of disappointment for the Dragons fans..... just a little, as we have lost players in the past we have produced to other clubs. It isn't easy to watch a player reach the levels of Origin and then sign with another club. It is funny to watch some Dragon fans turn on him in a minute....

That said, I am extremely happy to see a player of Origin quality coming to the club. It has been a while since we have signed anyone of note considering how many players we have let go since 2006.
f**k it! - its about time WE turned int othe theiving pricks of the NRL :lol:

Gaba

First Grade
You're kidding right? i only mentioned KK and Morts in relation to inexperience, and as for our backs? we ample talent - thats well documented, our5 biggest problem has been laying platforms for our backline, we have now recitified it, so our backline will be alot better.

The eels have been overrated i am still struggled to see where apart from hayne the attack is going to come from, and i still cant see apart from poore , i dont think he will give the eels that much advantage who else can make the meters for the eels

saint-colesy

Juniors
Its just frustrating TBH. We spent at least 7 years turning him into what he is today, and as soon as he plays Origin he f**ks off to another club, right when we are starting to create something special.

I'd do anything to earn $275k a year.

Surely earning that sort of money and being at a club thats going somewhere has got to be better then earning $350k and going to a club thats going backwards fast.

Suitman

Post Whore
If true, I'm not overly stressed.

I'm not so sure mate.
I could be proven wrong, but it's rare that we get such a talent come through our ranks. Someone who scores many tries in lower grades is normally someone who goes on to be a pretty fair player. I remember watching Delroy, Crnkcovic, Woods etc. Sure, they didn't set the world on fire, but they mainly played in sub-standard teams

I'd like to keep him tbh, see where he ends up, and then off-load him if he disappoints.

Suity

the_eel

Juniors
I actually feel an ounce of disappointment for the Dragons fans..... just a little, as we have lost players in the past we have produced to other clubs. It isn't easy to watch a player reach the levels of Origin and then sign with another club. It is funny to watch some Dragon fans turn on him in a minute....

That said, I am extremely happy to see a player of Origin quality coming to the club. It has been a while since we have signed anyone of note considering how many players we have let go since 2006.
Colonel i agree with your sentiments because its never nice to lose one of your own quality players but we've had our fair share of player losses over the years and i guess thats the cycle of nrl. Strong clubs providing players to the weaker ones. So nah i dont feel bad.:lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its just frustrating TBH. We spent at least 7 years turning him into what he is today, and as soon as he plays Origin he f**ks off to another club, right when we are starting to create something special.

I'd do anything to earn $275k a year.

Surely earning that sort of money and being at a club thats going somewhere has got to be better then earning $350k and going to a club thats going backwards fast.

welcome to our world

clubs have been feasting off our juniors for as long as I can remember, instead of developing thier own

The eels have been overrated i am still struggled to see where apart from hayne the attack is going to come from
did you watch the game on sunday? Robson and mortimer did most our attack and looked good. Why?? because the forwards did their job.

oldmancraigy

Coach
If you want to pay 350k for a prop, then he's all yours.

You still have no halves or hooker.

Origin quality props are worth it.

I would've thought Feliti Mateo qualified as a 'half'?
Or Kris Keating, who was playing pretty good footy before he got injured?
Or even young Dan Mortimer - who won us a game against a top 4 side in his 2nd game in the top grade?

In terms of hookers - we're fine. M Keating isn't the best in the world, but he's not the worst either.
Kevin Kingston is sharp as a replacement
Anthony Mitchell looks a strong prospect.

And Poore isn't our 'saviour' - he's just 1 peice in a puzzle. A puzzle that featured a fairly inconsistent and (at times) weak forward pack.

Moi Moi and Poore up front.
Hindmarsh and Shackleton in the backrow
Mateo at lock.

That's a meter-eating team that has plenty of size and skill

Let Hayne roam around behind those guys, give him some speedsters like Reddy, Inu or even the rampant Eric Grothe to throw the ball at, and what sorts of halves does one really need? I'd suggest KKeating and Mortimer will fit the bill nicely.

The Colonel

Immortal

Twelve months ago you guys weren't going in any direction very fast. You signed the best coach in the NRL, ESL and any other league around, a backrower from Melbourne who most clubs would give their left arms for and with the addition of some astute buys have been transformed into a very good team.

The Bulldogs were stuffed and made three or four very astute buys and have followed you guys up the ladder.

Hopefully the signing of Poore, Shackleton and two or three more players will be the injection we need to do the same.

Twleve months is a long time in any sport.

TheRam

Coach
Kiki my commiserations to you and the team. Woo Hoo!!!

Sorry I'm back in control now, as you were.

Qld Shark

Juniors
The eels need more attacking forwards along with quality half and backs, hayne is the only QUALITY attacking back the eels have

Like i said poore if its true , will not improve the eels
Gaba it is true get over it
Congrats Parra good times ahead for you guys
Would of loved Poore but I dont think we would be an attractive option at the moment

Gaba

First Grade
Plus if its true about Bennett dumping players who have signed wiht other clubs, poore could be in state league for the rest of the year.

Im not saying it will happen but if the rumours are to the fact Bennett does that, eels have paid for an state league player

Parraletic

Juniors
Now saints know how we feel bringing a kid through only to be taken in his prime. Great work to our recruitment staff for getting these 2 guys. 2010 is looking much better now!

Gaba

First Grade
did you watch the game on sunday? Robson and mortimer did most our attack and looked good. Why?? because the forwards did their job.

Yes but newcastle wasnt playing that great, plus they lost thier halfback during the game, a better measurement is to wait too they come up against a good team at full strength and see how they play

also if Hayne wasnt playing the eels would have less attack

Latest posts