What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe Is No Good!!!!!

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
When I first read this post, I thought we might have been a bit hard on Eric Jnr. Then a winger is need for NSW in the 3rd S,O,S and everyone was saying that Eric should be called in.
When Eric runs the ball up he does it well, gives us another forward, but why the hell does he think I have to off load the ball, when he has 3 or 4 tacklers all over him, he has done his work made ground, take the tackle Eric and play the ball.
Last night he made a great ball and all tackle on a shark player, then allowes the dummy half guy to run straight pass him and they score either from that or the from the next. He must of been scared of being penalised again just incase he wasn't standing square. A earlier mistake made from the ref, cause all footage showed Eric was standing square as he made the tackle, the shark player playing the ball moved sideways to play the ball and Eric gets penalised, another trick the Sharks pulled off and the ref fell for it.
Everyone had been saying who will Hagen drop when Burt comes back, after last night I think B.Smith and Grothe have made the decision easy as both these guys have and r playing shocking defence outwide and the last few weeks is where the tries are being scored against us.
The guys need to take a good look at themselves and wake up the FINALS are a few weeks away and the way we are going we won't only lose our position in the top 4, we will be knocked out in the first week, if we remain in the 8.

forward pass

Coach
join the bandwagon said:

Also, the whole defensive line moves up, yet grothe stays back

And if the sharks put a little kick behind him, he would have to turn and chase. That is how good wingers defend mate - you aren't serious are you?

I agree our right hand side is leaking points badly - but Guru had no help whatsoever when that kick went up that they scored from. He was stranded like a shag on a rock. No help came across at all. Erveryone stood here watching it when it was obvious we were in trouble ! That was the disappointing thing for me.

fish eel

Immortal
forward pass said:
I agree our right hand side is leaking points badly - but Guru had no help whatsoever when that kick went up that they scored from. He was stranded like a shag on a rock. No help came across at all. Erveryone stood here watching it when it was obvious we were in trouble ! That was the disappointing thing for me.

I agree. When a winger is isloated like that, it is 50-50, and you can't play Grothe.

Ben Smith, who some on here claim is the nrl's best defensive centre, let his winger down on that play. Benny should have been over there in a flash, not contesting the ball, just standing in the way.

forward pass

Coach
fish eel said:
I agree. When a winger is isloated like that, it is 50-50, and you can't play Grothe.

Ben Smith, who some on here claim is the nrl's best defensive centre, let his winger down on that play. Benny should have been over there in a flash, not contesting the ball, just standing in the way.

Ben Smith is a great tackler - but that is different to being a good defender. Totally different.

Nearly all our tries conceded over the last 3 weeks have been down that side. (4 out of 6 against Many). So something is not right out there.

And didn't the Sharks know it!! From the moment they kicked off, they were virtually lining up to attack that side. The message is out there folks !!

Suitman

Post Whore
forward pass said:
Ben Smith is a great tackler - but that is different to being a good defender. Totally different.

Nearly all our tries conceded over the last 3 weeks have been down that side. (4 out of 6 against Many). So something is not right out there.

And didn't the Sharks know it!! From the moment they kicked off, they were virtually lining up to attack that side. The message is out there folks !!

It's definitely no secret anymore.
I'd go as far to say that if we don't address the problem, it could cost us the competition.

Suity

V1er

Juniors
If we want to win the premiership, we must tighten up our right hand defence. teams have now come aware to score points against us is to targert the right hand side defence.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
What, and have the problem transferred to the left?

Suity

But, is Ben Smith the entire problem, or is it not just working with grothe and smith on the one side? I'm also wondering whether Wags could still defend out wide, with Benny defending closer in.....but I'm not sure he still has the mobility?????

I think defensively, Inu seems much more settled on the wing than when he was first shifted there - so maybe it is worth some thought?

Hellsy

Immortal
Who was playing inside of Ben when he left Guru out there on his own??
Surely they may have been a little responsible as well, I remember a game not that long ago when I noticed Finch moving in too much and leaving Ben and Eric isolated against 3-4 attackers.

Perhaps Hagan needs to get 3 or 4 of them in on that side and show then what they are doing wrong and what they can do to fix it

forward pass

Coach
join the bandwagon said:
Ben Smith is the best defensive centre in the game. What is with all this bagging?

yeah - that why opposition teams are directing all their attack towards him and Grothe!!:?

Bazal

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
Who was playing inside of Ben when he left Guru out there on his own??
Surely they may have been a little responsible as well, I remember a game not that long ago when I noticed Finch moving in too much and leaving Ben and Eric isolated against 3-4 attackers.

Perhaps Hagan needs to get 3 or 4 of them in on that side and show then what they are doing wrong and what they can do to fix it

I think it was Finch again wasn't it? I thought the issue might be further infield with Mateo but he switched on Saturday and the problem continued. I get the feeling that Finch and Benny are both running in too far, whether it is Finch dragging Ben in or Ben forcing Finch in I don't know but it leaves poor Eric nowhere to go. He either comes in and leaves the wing open, or leaves a gap infield by staying out there.

join the bandwagon said:
Ben Smith is the best defensive centre in the game. What is with all this bagging?

There is a cure for your condition...it's called fire

Hellsy

Immortal
Yeah that is kinda what I thought... I'm all up for saying that these guys aren't doing their job at the moment.. but I think it runs deeper than Eric/Ben, I agree Baz... I think Feleti is a bit of an 'everywhere man' and that he may be the start of this run on

strider

Post Whore
I noticed against the sharks the other night that finch was defending outside ben alot of the time (ie from the wing in: Grothe, Finch, Ben, Wags) .... and since it was for a fair bit of the game I'd say it was planned (maybe to help stop gallen who is a stocky barrell and might have been had for finch to contain) ..... I don't know if it worked :lol: :?

I think benny is an exceptional defender - and he made everyone around him look good eariler in the season ..... but he's had some real lapses of late - picking bad times to rush out, not trusting his inside man .... hopefully they'll sort it out again - cos tht side of the field was safe as a bank earlier in the year

Bazal

Post Whore
The other problem we seem to have on that edge is that the outside three defenders back pedal on their goal line. Whereas on the left we have Tahu and Inu/Hayne racing up off the line to put pressure on the attack and shut it down early, Finch and Smith hang back and then have to try and tackle the player almost as they get to the line....

Thanks for grounding the ball champ

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Even my young blokes under 12's team know how to swap the ball over to the side from where the defenders you. You are the most awkward footballer I have ever seen. All you need to do is tuck the ball under and slide. Even his first try he nearly lost it.

strider

Post Whore
deadset JTB - you are quite possibly the lamest f**king turd to ever grace the forums .... u gutless little sh*t - i'd love to see u come out from behind your little keyboard and get hammered by a few 100+kg football players over and over - eric grothe would make u look like a f'n fairy

Latest posts