What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even this early, is there only 3 who can win?

BunniesMan

Immortal
We've beaten Manly and Brisbane. And were very competitive against St George. We've proven ourselves in our biggest games so far this year, our resume is strong. We're going to murder the Sharks this week, we will be in the 8, then we'll make some noise in September.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We've beaten Manly and Brisbane. And were very competitive against St George. We've proven ourselves in our biggest games so far this year, our resume is strong. We're going to murder the Sharks this week, we will be in the 8, then we'll make some noise in September.

Crying is a noise, and I do except plenty from souths fans when they finish ninth.

Wato

Juniors

You sound like a knights fan in 2008. We beat some of the top teams including both grand finalists but failed to beat those below us on many occasions. There is not doubt Souths get up for the big games but sadly I think they will just miss out due to losing to the lower ranked teams and bombing games they should win. Also you have to cement your spot by round 25 because in round 26 they play Newcastle on old boys day a near impossible task.

some11

Referee
You sound like a knights fan in 2008. We beat some of the top teams including both grand finalists but failed to beat those below us on many occasions. There is not doubt Souths get up for the big games but sadly I think they will just miss out due to losing to the lower ranked teams and bombing games they should win. Also you have to cement your spot by round 25 because in round 26 they play Newcastle on old boys day a near impossible task.

Don't bother, he doesn't live in reality.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The Broncos have had no consistency in their playing roster so far this season.
They are well within striking distance of the top of the ladder. Their squad is as strong as any in the competition if not better. IMO they are specials for the grand final even this far out.

POPEYE

Coach
More weight should be put on winning the league over 26 rounds. Its quite the feat & is the most common sense way to show who the best team was overall in a year, but of course theres more to it then that, for TV, fans etc etc.

Let's say the Dragons won every game from now until the GF. In the week off Bennett decides to take the team down to Bondi for a game of beach footy. The bus is involved in an accident and 6 of the players are injured enough to miss the GF.

On the other hand the Storm only just wins enough games to get a berth in the GF. The lower grade replacements for the Dragons put up a great fight but lose to the Storm by one point in extra time.

Tough titties you say. Fair enough, but what would you like to see as a synopsis under the following day's headline. "Storm proves once again they are the best team and have been crowned the rightful Premiers"

How about: "The 2011 Premiers couldn't make it a double by winning both trophies for the year and will have to be satisfied with the Premiership. The GF series cup goes to the Storm who were better on the day."

20 years on and a 15 year old Dragon supporter is glancing through the records and finds that St. George Illawarra won the Premiership in 2011 but missed out on the GF which was won by Melbourne.

He has no idea of the circumstances in 2011 nor at a casual glance who even played Melbourne in the GF.

The point is, nothing but good for the game and it's supporters can be had by recording each year with the simple facts surrounding two idealistically different competitions and rewarding the successful participants in both.

From what i have seen, we don't deserve to be in the Top 8. We have been very inconsistent. Lazy in defence and not enough opportunities in attack. In my opinion, i think the best option is to start planning for 2012. Since, we won't make the Top 8 if we keep playing like we do.

Shorty

Staff member
The point is, nothing but good for the game and it's supporters can be had by recording each year with the simple facts surrounding two idealistically different competitions and rewarding the successful participants in both.
Couldn't think of anything more boring, and probably waste of money.
The minor premiership recognises the hard work done during the year, if you want to even it up a bit more then perhaps a top 6 or even 4 would be better.

firechild

First Grade
Let's say the Dragons won every game from now until the GF. In the week off Bennett decides to take the team down to Bondi for a game of beach footy. The bus is involved in an accident and 6 of the players are injured enough to miss the GF.

On the other hand the Storm only just wins enough games to get a berth in the GF. The lower grade replacements for the Dragons put up a great fight but lose to the Storm by one point in extra time.

Tough titties you say. Fair enough, but what would you like to see as a synopsis under the following day's headline. "Storm proves once again they are the best team and have been crowned the rightful Premiers"

How about: "The 2011 Premiers couldn't make it a double by winning both trophies for the year and will have to be satisfied with the Premiership. The GF series cup goes to the Storm who were better on the day."

20 years on and a 15 year old Dragon supporter is glancing through the records and finds that St. George Illawarra won the Premiership in 2011 but missed out on the GF which was won by Melbourne.

He has no idea of the circumstances in 2011 nor at a casual glance who even played Melbourne in the GF.

Ok, how about this one. St Merge take out the minor premiership, 1 point ahead of both Manly and Melbourne. The top 5 sides (adding Brisbane and NQ) finish clearly ahead of the rest of the field and are the only real chances at winning the premiership. Looking back we find that St Merge had to play each of the other 4 contenders one time each (a total of 4 games), both Manly and Melbourne get to play other top 5 teams a total of 7 times (funnily enough playing all top 5 teams twice with the exception of St Merge). Until the competition can be run equitably for all teams there is absolutely no point putting any greater importance on the minor premiership.

isaiah

Bench
broncs were good tonight even without much ball and against the refs for the important calls in the game. it will be an awesome with the big 6 back next game and gillett, gagai, and maguire in really good form

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Broncs will be there when the whips are crackin fo sho.

I really rate Griffin and, as you said, the squad is very strong. Lockys last year blah blah blah.

No doubt they can win the comp.

some11

Referee
Broncs will be there when the whips are crackin fo sho.

I really rate Griffin and, as you said, the squad is very strong. Lockys last year blah blah blah.

No doubt they can win the comp.

...provided they're full strength, should be a good finals series this year.

bottle

Coach
Lockyer, Thaiday, Parker, Hodges and a host of improving youngsters. They've definitely got game. Would never write them off.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
We can all be sure that the Dragons and Storm are genuine post season threats. That is axiomatic. But what I love about NRL is any number of teams who could possibly start a late season surge and gather momentum heading into the finals. And to be honest, I would not be surprised to see the Cows or Manly slip before season ends. But I do like watching Foran and JT play ball.

Latest posts