What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fantasy Leagues

Mig2006

Juniors
In defence of the draft there is no denying that a team would rather have top picks early in the draft. However, in a 12 team comp, some teams have to be "unlucky" early on. And yes come round 20 of the draft, those teams, may have little to choose.

To be honest, the only thing in the draft that will change for 2010 is a time limit to make picks. The randomised draft is unique to NRLCEO and if given a chance will provide excitment - unfortunately some of this has been taken away due to limited site access.

I say if you don't the draft, that is a shame but I would also say in the same breathe go play VNRL...........

Also, I have not kicked anyone out of changed their password and I would not do that at this stage. I have never made excuses for NRLCEO and the fact that we have increased the server by a factor of 6 with the cost being proportional says enough about our character to try and provide you with results.

We made some break throughs last night in terms of speeding the site up which is good. If people can't get on, the only reason now should be that they are using Mozilla which we will fix up in the off season before 2010.

I just picked Monaghan and Lockyer for Monk - If he doesnt like Monaghan then I can change it when he is back on....

Last edited:
Mig, am I right in saying it's the same draft type as they use in the NFL drafts on NFL.com?

It all works out in the end. I've never had an NFL team autodrafted that hasn't been competitive.

TooheysNew

Coach
Because its stupid and everyone is like 'oh just suck it up"...how about do something about it.

The only reason I am whinging is because I was blamed for holding everyone up...when it was the crappy site. So i'll nitpick and find every wrong thing now because I don't like to be blamed for crap that isn't my fault.

And don't worry Griffo...you can auto pick all you want because I'm not playing in this competition any more.
lol. I love tantrums.

abpanther

Staff member
Mig, am I right in saying it's the same draft type as they use in the NFL drafts on NFL.com?

I don't know if that use it on NFL.com, but I'm in 6 NFL fantasy leagues and none run a draft like this, all run it via a 'serpentine' draft as has been described in this thread.

abpanther

Staff member
The other fun thing about a serpentine draft is that you know where you are picking for the rest of the draft so you can actually strategise and possibly trade picks if you like or dislike the current value in the draft.

Charlie124

First Grade
In defence of the draft there is no denying that a team would rather have top picks early in the draft. However, in a 12 team comp, some teams have to be "unlucky" early on. And yes come round 20 of the draft, those teams, may have little to choose.

To be honest, the only thing in the draft that will change for 2010 is a time limit to make picks. The randomised draft is unique to NRLCEO and if given a chance will provide excitment - unfortunately some of this has been taken away due to limited site access.

I say if you don't the draft, that is a shame but I would also say in the same breathe go play VNRL...........

Also, I have not kicked anyone out of changed their password and I would not do that at this stage. I have never made excuses for NRLCEO and the fact that we have increased the server by a factor of 6 with the cost being proportional says enough about our character to try and provide you with results.

We made some break throughs last night in terms of speeding the site up which is good. If people can't get on, the only reason now should be that they are using Mozilla which we will fix up in the off season before 2010.

I just picked Monaghan and Lockyer for Monk - If he doesnt like Monaghan then I can change it when he is back on....

If this is the case for next year can you please think about adding a "straight recruitment" feature so that people who dont like this "random draft pick" system can just organise their serpantine drafts amongst themselves (MSN, Forums, In person etc...) and then go recruit the players they drafted? Its far more fair and makes everything run more smooth.

Evil Borad

Juniors
Overnight, the LU2 draft has reached Round 3!! The next four people to pick are:
3​
Rip Mango​
3​
suspects​
3​
Ogres​
3​
Roosters​

milchcow

Juniors
While Mick is copping a lot from people on this forum about the draft, he has a very valid point.

A Serpentine/Snaking draft is much fairer than a random one, and he really doesn't deserve all the crap he's getting.

In a random draft you can end up with a late or early pick for 4 or 5 rounds in a row early on when the good players are being drafted and end up severely advantaged/disadvantaged due to the roll of a dice. With a snaking order the average picks are guaranteed to work out at the same level. No need to rely on chance.

If you have an entirely private comp you can ignore this and draft a team yourselves then add them in manually, but this isn't an option fopr public comps and I'm sure there are lots of people who'd prefer the fixed draft order.

cappo

Juniors
If this is the case for next year can you please think about adding a "straight recruitment" feature so that people who dont like this "random draft pick" system can just organise their serpantine drafts amongst themselves (MSN, Forums, In person etc...) and then go recruit the players they drafted? Its far more fair and makes everything run more smooth.

Charlie. There is the option for a straight recruiting. Just let the draft lapse (or tell us to change te finish time to earlier) and it become a "free for all" until you fill squads. If.... things work out this year there will be improvements next year.

abpanther

Staff member
In a random draft you can end up with a late or early pick for 4 or 5 rounds in a row early on when the good players are being drafted and end up severely advantaged/disadvantaged due to the roll of a dice. With a snaking order the average picks are guaranteed to work out at the same level. No need to rely on chance.

That's exactly what we are saying.

Charlie124

First Grade
Charlie. There is the option for a straight recruiting. Just let the draft lapse (or tell us to change te finish time to earlier) and it become a "free for all" until you fill squads. If.... things work out this year there will be improvements next year.

Doesnt it only lapse at midnight the day before the season kicks off? at which point, everyone in the 100+ comps will be trying to log on at the same time again to pick up the scraps.

I didnt realise there was the option to just bring forward the lapse time, Ill run it by the rest of the guys in my comp and see if they're happy to have the finishing time brought forward so this random crap elapses and we can do our serpantine draft for the rest.

Johns Magic

Referee
Mig/Cappo, only problem I'm having is crossing people off my short list. I can't do it, it just says "website cannot be displayed". Not a big deal but it is a glitch.

Otherwise it's perfect for me.

cappo

Juniors
While Mick is copping a lot from people on this forum about the draft, he has a very valid point.

A Serpentine/Snaking draft is much fairer than a random one, and he really doesn't deserve all the crap he's getting.

If you have an entirely private comp you can ignore this and draft a team yourselves then add them in manually, but this isn't an option fopr public comps and I'm sure there are lots of people who'd prefer the fixed draft order.

I agree, each option has its merits. I can find arguments for and against. Personally I always feel like i have a bad run in the draft positions but i wouldnt have it any other way. Strategising and gambling on whether a player may be available for my next pick always makes our draft day better than christmas. On the other hand who should be first pick every round (or flipped)? In either case sometimes you have a big gap in selections other times you get a valuable double up.

Please bear in mind though that this site was initially set up purely for the way "we" like to play. We have made addtions and compromises to allow other people to customise the way they want to play as well. Further upgrades and additions are planned but it always hard to cater for the "public competition" when people cant just call the person who is holding them up. Also larger competitions spread the talent very thinly so the draft is very important, cutting and recruiting mid season due to form slumps and injury is almost irrelevant as all half decent players are already taken

abpanther

Staff member
Please bear in mind though that this site was initially set up purely for the way "we" like to play. We have made addtions and compromises to allow other people to customise the way they want to play as well. Further upgrades and additions are planned but it always hard to cater for the "public competition" when people cant just call the person who is holding them up. Also larger competitions spread the talent very thinly so the draft is very important, cutting and recruiting mid season due to form slumps and injury is almost irrelevant as all half decent players are already taken

That's fine mate, but you should try to offer as many options as possible, make the site felixible for the public, that's the best way IMO

cappo

Juniors
Mig/Cappo, only problem I'm having is crossing people off my short list. I can't do it, it just says "website cannot be displayed". Not a big deal but it is a glitch.

Otherwise it's perfect for me.

Thanks mate, i'll look into it tonight

Ian_Brown

Juniors
To everyone who is in the league with me.

Can we get things moving please.

The draft has been going since last friday and not a single pick yet.

Team : the holy ones, lets go. Please.

Then NC and power guns be ready.

LETS GO!!!!!!

Jelly Warrior

Juniors

We did that, got mates together and did the first 17 rounds was a good night and was great to see peoples faces when you take someone that they wanted also downed a few Bourbons and talked rugby league with mates. I hope NRL CEO goes well and next year maybe charge $20 for a comp to enable you to have speed and a few less comps.

I would prefer a draft every time but I would look at doing time limits and predraft lists that people can reorder.

Thanks to the Team at NRLCEO great comp and the speed today is great hope it keeps

Mig2006

Juniors
We did that, got mates together and did the first 17 rounds was a good night and was great to see peoples faces when you take someone that they wanted also downed a few Bourbons and talked rugby league with mates. I hope NRL CEO goes well and next year maybe charge $20 for a comp to enable you to have speed and a few less comps.

I would prefer a draft every time but I would look at doing time limits and predraft lists that people can reorder.

Thanks to the Team at NRLCEO great comp and the speed today is great hope it keeps

Thanks for your words Warrior! We realise there are a lot of rugby league fans out there who are desperate for someting like this to work.

As Cappo has said, the time that we had to make this go public was minimal and in 2010 (if 2009 is a success) we will be expanding the draft options to cater to a wider variety of fans.

The debate about which recruitment option is always going to continue but for the time being I would prefer users to make sure thier shortlists and auto pick for the next round is done before worrying about anything else.

we appreciate all kinds of feedback as long as it is constructive and believe me, we have taken a lot on board for future years and hopefully NRLCEO can continue for years to come....

Carton o Smokes again...

Yep, another 24 hour wait. lol

A quick question for anyone, I set my draft preferences by position and I set my automatic shortlist too, but I can't remember or work out how to set the automatic shortlist preferences again (A few picks got taken by others players). These are the ones that show up under your team name on the draft page in the current round.