What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Females and Rugby League

Kiki

First Grade
wow homophobia and sexism in one sentence. congrats, thats quite the feat.

Women give a good presence on the Rugby League media, the ones involved definitely know what they're talking about. Keep it up.

SuperSuper

Juniors
There are girls out there who are genuine about thier footy, not there for a perve and whislt we look at the players (could anyone blame us) we know the rules, and the game we love. I am sick of seeing the whole idea of any woman between the ages of 15-30 been made out to be a groupie, OH URM hello, we might have boobs but you know, we love our footy as much as the bloke drinking that beer, and in some cases know a hell of alot more then him too.

I am glad a LOT of the NRL clubs are making a serious effort in bringing the women into the game, and releasing a range of footy merchandise and all sorts for the women, I just wish some ALPHA males could see that we do know a thing or two about the game they love...cause we love it too!

Kiki

First Grade
the CRL and Orange Rugby League are certainly trying by inviting us out there for country week. good on them!

SuperSuper

Juniors
the CRL and Orange Rugby League are certainly trying by inviting us out there for country week. good on them!
See now THAT is good stuff, get the women who KNOW what they are talking about in, I mean sure we have our fun but at the end of the day quiz us and we will answer you.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Jac probably isnt used to being on tv on the footy show. a lot of poeple dont just step into the role and are comfortable straight away.

I'm sure there are plenty of people both male and female (whats wrong with these terms kiki?) who are intelligent and articulate and could provide a good discussion on shows like the footy show, but unfortunately they'll never get the chance. part of the reason is that joe blogs has zero profile and never played first grade, wjhereas someone as inarticulate as ikin gets a gig because he played first grade, origin and test footy

the way the footy show gets Jac more used to it is having her on consistently. If she is on the rest of the year and next year i guarantee she'll improve and next year we wont be having this conversation. But realistically that goes for any female they put on, hypothetically they could put kiki, ms storm or another female from the forums on the show, i expect it'd be difficult at first but i'll guarantee having a year under their belts they'll imporve dramatically

babyg

Juniors
I thought Magnay was great and should stay on the panel. Debbie Spillaine would be great too.

beave

Coach
The most genuine woman I have seen on the footy show was Sarah Murdoch............she knows her footy and seems genuine enough. Debbie Spillane also seems to have a bit of a clue.

I've got nothing constructive to add to this thread so i'll just say:

I love girls girls girls girls...girls I do a-dooooooore....

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Whilst I agree most women commentators appear to be false and scripted, I think Jacqueline Magnay is the genuine article and I think she knows her footy pretty well. She's probably the best woman commentator or panellist I've seen.

She probably isnt used to being on the Footy Show but she will get better at that.

mik01

Juniors
initially I thought this thread was going to have a legit debate about female journo's used as token inserts on the footy show, but then I read the OP and realised it was pathetic drivel.

I like nothing better than hearing informed and intelligent comment from anyone about sports I love. I didn't catch last nights footy show, so can't say whether she achieved this.

what I can say is there are some incredible female sport journo's whose insight or professionalism to their chosen sport/s gain my respect.

there are 2 that spring to mind - Christy Malthouse - she knows her stuff and commands respect - which is also kinda hot!!!
and,
Mercedes McConnell who hosts racedays on radio tab- she is pure class, knows her stuff and sounds dead sexy!!

I also was pleasantly surprised to see some of the Lady Luck's around the grounds in the past who have asked some good questions of the players and seemed very comfortable 'talkin footy'.

whilst I think the Wilson debacle last year was ridiculous and uncalled for, having input from any gender journo who loves the game, knows what they are talking about and isn't afraid to ask the hard questions gains my respect.

Debbie Spillane WAS another who deserved respect for her commentary and knowledge of the game.

so whats wrong with Magnay having a guest spot then????

Kiki

First Grade
I SO AGREE

hahahaha

seriously tho, the problem is finding someone with credibility and also the ability to be engaging on TV.

but apparently women are held up to a higher standard coz my god theres some nuffies in the league media and they are rarely criticised. it isn't very fair.

Latest posts