What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Females and Rugby League

Norths Tiger

Juniors
but apparently women are held up to a higher standard coz my god theres some nuffies in the league media and they are rarely criticised. it isn't very fair.

It's the Old Boys Club. If you're not in it, then you're prone to being criticised. This applies to commentators who "never bloody played the game" (cf. Voss, Andrew and sometimes Raymond, Andy) as well as women journalists.

If only the same standards were applied to the Old Boys Club....we could easily be without the likes of Freeman, Pearce, Sattler, Adamson, Woolford, O'Neill, A Johns...the list is a long one.

Kiki

First Grade
yep it is an old boys club to an extent. although all the current players that read Oh Errol have been really open and receptive to us writing about them and find it funny. they've been very encouraging too.

maybe this generation is a bit different??

but yeh there is sure some people on TV that really shouldnt be. i won't name names out of respect but theres a few that make me cringe at least once a game. the mixed metaphors and the bad grammar. ARGH.

tigr3

Juniors
Everyone on the footy show is an ex player except for voss who is a commentator, so its not like there are many ex female players out there. I am getting so sick of hearing about women's involvement in the game. Its the same thing the pom's are going on about with top gear. If women like the show they will watch it, if not then they dont have to, i dont see why they have to be specifically catered for. Why is it that every single thing these days is being pushed to be 50/50 men and women, let men have their thing and let women have theirs. I think the involvement women have in the rugby league media now is about equivalent to their involvement in the game in other areas. For starters there are 0 women running around in the NRL atm, and the ratio of NRL supporters i know is about 10 men for every 1 woman. Its not an issue until people make it one.

Kiki

First Grade
hahahahahha oh.....my god

have you ever actually been to a game mate???

every game i've ever been to has EASILY been 50/50. i personally know more passionate female supporters than male ones.

we are NOT specifically catered for. everytime i watch a game i have to sit through endless ads for Bunnings, Bundy and VB. not to mention the horrifically sexist and offensive Brut and Jim Beam ads.

sure women don't play, but you do realise the footy players came out of someones womb...right? and they have sisters and girlfriends and girls as mates.

women are an INTEGRAL part of rugby league. and if you can't see that you are a deadset idiot.

StormChaser

First Grade
Everyone on the footy show is an ex player except for voss who is a commentator, so its not like there are many ex female players out there. I am getting so sick of hearing about women's involvement in the game. Its the same thing the pom's are going on about with top gear. If women like the show they will watch it, if not then they dont have to, i dont see why they have to be specifically catered for. Why is it that every single thing these days is being pushed to be 50/50 men and women, let men have their thing and let women have theirs. I think the involvement women have in the rugby league media now is about equivalent to their involvement in the game in other areas. For starters there are 0 women running around in the NRL atm, and the ratio of NRL supporters i know is about 10 men for every 1 woman. Its not an issue until people make it one.

Get back in your cave. I bet you are sooooooooooo single!
By your own argument, Andrew Voss therefore should have NO involvement in the game, because he's never run around in the NRL.

:roll:

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
By your own argument, Andrew Voss therefore should have NO involvment in the game, because he's never run around in the NRL.

TBH I don't think that's entirely true. Vossy didn't play footy but at the same time, he's got no clue.

Kiki

First Grade
u know what i've noticed though...alot of guys are seriously weirded out by chicks knowing alot about footy. i know guys that profess to be very liberal and left wing but still bristle at the thought of me knowing more about footy than them. sexism is like hard wired into them or something.

but the players on the other hand, because they are pro athletes and the 'ultimate in masculinity' don't seem to be threatened by me at all.

i think alot of sexism stems from deep insecurity. and i find it kinda pathetic.

tigr3

Juniors
hahahahahha oh.....my god

have you ever actually been to a game mate???

every game i've ever been to has EASILY been 50/50. i personally know more passionate female supporters than male ones.

we are NOT specifically catered for. everytime i watch a game i have to sit through endless ads for Bunnings, Bundy and VB. not to mention the horrifically sexist and offensive Brut and Jim Beam ads.

sure women don't play, but you do realise the footy players came out of someones womb...right? and they have sisters and girlfriends and girls as mates.

women are an INTEGRAL part of rugby league. and if you can't see that you are a deadset idiot.

Yes i have been to many games. So by your logic because women give birth to men they therefore must share the same interests.. interesting idea that one. Ridiculous but interesting.

There is no way that there are as many female football fans as men, if you believe that you are delusional. I never mentioned crowds. I went to school that 4 current NRL players went to and the crowds at the 1st XIII games were about 50/50, but while most of the guys and dads watched the footy, the majority of the girls were in groups talking and not even paying attention.

Your absolutely right about the ads during the footy, they are targeted at men, and for a good reason... there are more men watching the footy than women, hence what i said earlier. I wont even get into the 'horrifically sexist and offensive ads' because its clear your a feminist and i learnt at uni that trying to argue the point with feminists is like smashing your head into a brick wall.

And in saying all that i have nothing against women supporting the game, in fact i promote it, both my neices are now mad tigers fans. I'm just pointing out that it shouldn't be an issue and to say that Rugby league being geared towards men is sexist is like saying netball being geared towards women is sexist.

Kiki

First Grade
i was right, you really are an idiot.

'your a feminist'

haha...okay champ.

no point arguing with you coz it's clear you lack the necessary level of comprehension to understand the topic.

tigr3

Juniors
i was right, you really are an idiot.

'your a feminist'

okay champ.

Look, i dont care about mens involvement with the game, i dont care about womens involvement with the game. I would love to be able to open the paper one day and have 100% of the stories about the sport and not the social issues, but its never going to happen while people are trying to change the game to be all encompassing of everyone. I am in no way sexist, i dont care if there are a million women watching the footy, i just dont want to hear about it, same as if the audience was 100% men I DONT CARE. Everything i have said is just what i see and what i have seen throughout my life. You sound like a feminist but if your not one fair enough. I just dont understand why there has to be an issue, broadcasting and sport is voluntary and people only have to watch if they want to, so i can't understand why things need to be changed to suit everyone. can you not see my point?

tigr3

Juniors
By your own argument, Andrew Voss therefore should have NO involvement in the game, because he's never run around in the NRL.

I am not sooooooooooooooo anything.

Kiki

First Grade
sigh

i could write out an essay on how you are wrong but honestly it's not worth it. i give up.

tigr3

Juniors
sigh

i could write out an essay on how you are wrong but honestly it's not worth it. i give up.

Fair enough, but i think you are mis-interpreting my viewpoint. Intelligent women do not threaten me, no matter what the subject, my girlfriend will be a doctor very shortly and my sister knows as much about footy as anyone i know. In just dont think the media beat up about the sexism of footy is necessary, in fact i think it is harmful to the image of th game.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
i think alot of sexism stems from deep insecurity. and i find it kinda pathetic.

fair call.

FWIW the crowds at Newcastle games (and members of the Crusade, for that matter) are probably 60-40 female. we have a dedicated nanna supporters group FFS.... :)

Girls up here really dig their footy and are usually very knowledgeable too.... maybe its just Sydney stuck in the caveman mentality.... ^..^

Kiki

First Grade
yep i really dont get why people think that more men follow footy, because it just ain't true.

typicalfan

Coach
I just hope they aren't putting a woman on the show for the sake of putting a woman on the show.

You can tell when a woman is a supporter and proper follower of the game their opinions of the game are usually accurate.

People like Rebecca Wilson are absolutely disgraceful, Wilson is bad because she brings no credibility or common sense to the table, not because she is female.

Latest posts