What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB Metal Heads

KC and the Sunshine Band > Metallica imo

Agreed.
Anyways...some of my recent favourites:

Opeth - Watershed
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Iron Maiden - Powerslave/Piece Of Mind
Dream Theater - Black Clouds And Silver Linings/Awake
Alice Cooper (anything)
Galneryus - All For One, One For All/Reincarnation
Helloween - Any
Avantasia/Edguy (good on occasions)

And to go back older.
Sweet (not metal...but f*cking awesome)

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Black Label Society - Mafia
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
Alchemist - Tripsis
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Judas Priest - Judas Priest
Nightwish - Once
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall
Tool - Undertow
Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Dream Theater - Images and Words
3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Ozbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

The albums I bolded I love. Some I haven't heard (those in italic)

simmo1

First Grade
Because when you actually process the music and listen to it there are distinct differences eg: Thrash Metal and Death Metal, thrash metal has more of a punk influence and utilises high pitch vocals with up tempo beats, where as Death Metal uses low gutteral vocals with chaotic riffs and blast beats: the two sound competely different but are spawned from similar influences. Why should be define different beers and different wines? Because it makes it easier to distinguish between different types. It's not that someone completely over analyses the music to pigeon hole it into some completely obscure genre, bands just tend to form around certain styles based on certain influences. If you don't know a lot about something it's all going to be the same (ie, to me all wine is the same f**king sh*t, red and white). When you actually get into it you start understanding the differences and thus need to categories appropriately.

While this is very true, every band is going to be slightly different (OK, we all know that Evile = Slayer, Airbourne = ACDC etc, but generally speaking they all have something unique), so lumping bands into groups doesn't always work. And because of the subtle differences we get the ridiculous number of sub genres we have at the moment.

Also, I agree, wine is f**king sh*t.

Martli

Coach
While this is very true, every band is going to be slightly different (OK, we all know that Evile = Slayer, Airbourne = ACDC etc, but generally speaking they all have something unique), so lumping bands into groups doesn't always work. And because of the subtle differences we get the ridiculous number of sub genres we have at the moment.

Where did I say anything about subtle differences? Just because some idiot decides to split certain styles of death metal doesn't mean that the broad genres don't apply. Broad categories are better than just one meta category that lumps a whole bunch of different sounding music together. Just because some people might take categories too far doesn't mean we should ditch categories all together and label it all "metal".

Eelementary

Post Whore

Dude, metal needs sub-genres more than most other types of music.

Explain how Opeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4) and Cryptopsy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20v3Mjb9Zg) can both be classified as 'metal'.

You need different sub-genres because, although you can use staples of the genre (for example, guitar solos or beat-blasts with the drums), death metal is TOTALLY different to speed metal, both lyrically and musically.

simmo1

First Grade
Where did I say anything about subtle differences? Just because some idiot decides to split certain styles of death metal doesn't mean that the broad genres don't apply. Broad categories are better than just one meta category that lumps a whole bunch of different sounding music together. Just because some people might take categories too far doesn't mean we should ditch categories all together and label it all "metal".

I'm not saying you can't make sub-genres, but where do you draw the line?

Eelementary

Post Whore
You can't, really - I mean metalcore now has expanded and includes stuff like deathcore, mathcore, etc. And you need these complicated lists because they help to make things easier. Dillinger Escape Plan can't be simply labelled as metalcore - they have to be 'mathcore' because they incorporate complex, technical riffs into their songs, which regular 'core doesn't.

Likewise bands like Kataklysm need to be labelled a certain way because of their music and lyrics.

And we haven't even reached to things like viking metal (God, that sh*t rules!)...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude, metal needs sub-genres more than most other types of music.

Explain how Opeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4) and Cryptopsy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20v3Mjb9Zg) can both be classified as 'metal'.

You need different sub-genres because, although you can use staples of the genre (for example, guitar solos or beat-blasts with the drums), death metal is TOTALLY different to speed metal, both lyrically and musically.
The same way that the Beatles and Queen are regarded as being Rock, while other bands like Garbage are deemed Pop in the same basket as Kylie Minogue.

Sub genre's are a wank and are never clearly defined.