What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB Metal Heads

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did the Beatles invent heavy metal when they made Helter Skelter?
I'd actually suggest people like Mozart were the pioneers when they made compositions which were fast from start to end, as opposed to slow and fast sections with bridges which acted as the chorus/reprise.

Queen have been suggested as being one of the pioneers of thrash.

Martli

Coach
The roots of metal a pretty varied.

For modern metal (ie 80s/90s onwards) it's the likes of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc. and there are definitely classical and punk influences as well. Taking a step back, the aforementioned bands are heavily influenced by blues and the earlier forms of rock that were starting to develop in the 50s and 60s, with the classical aspect also being there. Wagner is imo one of the main influences as far as classical goes, he wrote very evil sounding music, very big, very grand. Very awesome.

AILD

Bench
bands i like:

metallica
pantera
iron maiden
slayer
lamb of god
killswitch engage
carnifex
august burns red
all shall perish

McLovin

Staff member
gunners, motley crue, def leppard, warrant, poison, cinderella, dokken, ect ect ect...

gimme gimme gimme....

simmo1

First Grade
no they were crap

metal for 12 years old kids that buy top 40 singles

worst decade of music ever

Yet it brought with it some of the most skilled, yet underrated, musicians of all time. Give me the 80s stuff over the sh*t of the 90s and a lot of todays music. A lot of bands from the 80s never got the respect they deserved because of they way they dressed and acted.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
no they were crap

metal for 12 years old kids that buy top 40 singles

worst decade of music ever
yeah the 80's had 2 forms of metal

Commercial and Underground

The latter was distinctly better but was barely ever heard if at all, only really Metallica and eventually Nirvana were the only known bands to really emerge from the underground.

Both became Commercial in the end.

In saying that, I still quite like their music, bands like Poison were no more Metal than Queen. They were Glam Rock/Pop, just like Bon Jovi who, for a time, was considered Metal as well.

Martli

Coach
I've been listening to Heaven and Hell by black sabbath recently. I must say they are a completely different band when someone that can actually sing is fronting them. I like the Ozzy Sabbath, but Dio completely blows him out of the water. Love it.

Martli

Coach
Yeah, meh, might see Slayer if they come to wellington. I have Cannibal Corpse in September and Suffocation in October, both in Auckland, both $$$$$$.

Martli

Coach
Just going to plug a band I'm liking at the moment.

Vesania (http://www.myspace.com/godthelux) are a Polish Symphonic Black Metal (Black Metal with Keyboards) band, the lead singer/guitarist is Orion, who plays bass in Behemoth. They play a pretty odd style, kinda like going to a metal circus, but it's very cool. Not my usual sort of style (I'm mostly into death metal) but nevertheless, their album Distractive Killusions is a very enjoyable listen. Check out their myspace link above.

Serc

First Grade
You're right about metal circus...though I can certainly hear large dollops of DM amongst the few that I listened to on their myspace page.