What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB Metal Heads

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mods will remove it from here soon and transfer it to the music thread.

God-King Dean

Immortal
seriously, all of these categories for metal are overrated and ridiculous.

How does one clearly define the difference between them? They're all metal. They should be regarded as such

Agreed. I hate how people need to put bands in catagories.

" Nah, that's not true supersonicultravioletraymetal maaaaaan, you don't know music maaaaaaaaan. "

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I hate how people need to put bands in catagories.

" Nah, that's not true supersonicultravioletraymetal maaaaaan, you don't know music maaaaaaaaan. "
generally, and this doesn't apply to all people by any means, but the people who sit there and come up withese genres, or try and determine what genre a band falls into, have never played music and/or have never listened to music. Generally speaking, people hear music, a wall of sound that hits them. Not many people take the time to sit there and listen to how the instruments, notes, sounds etc all intertwine and work with each other to create certain types of music.

Serc

First Grade
Cradle are almost their own sort of genre imo...they don't really sound like anyone else but you'd loosely classify them as some sort of black. Obviously their earlier stuff fits more into that category and today you can still see that background in them.

Another band that doesn't sound like anyone else even moreso is our very own Aussie band, Alchemist :D

PS: Eele has pretty good taste! SYL/Devi metal! \m/

Opeth, CoB, Helloween and many others I rate too!

Martli

Coach
seriously, all of these categories for metal are overrated and ridiculous.

How does one clearly define the difference between them? They're all metal. They should be regarded as such

Because when you actually process the music and listen to it there are distinct differences eg: Thrash Metal and Death Metal, thrash metal has more of a punk influence and utilises high pitch vocals with up tempo beats, where as Death Metal uses low gutteral vocals with chaotic riffs and blast beats: the two sound competely different but are spawned from similar influences. Why should be define different beers and different wines? Because it makes it easier to distinguish between different types. It's not that someone completely over analyses the music to pigeon hole it into some completely obscure genre, bands just tend to form around certain styles based on certain influences. If you don't know a lot about something it's all going to be the same (ie, to me all wine is the same f**king sh*t, red and white). When you actually get into it you start understanding the differences and thus need to categories appropriately.

simmo1

First Grade
I mentioned it, I think it had a major influence on thrash metal, that's about it. I can't see it going any further, there aren't many albums that influence the whole concept of metal as a whole. Reign In Blood is certainly not one of them.

Reign in Blood had some of the fastest, heaviest, thrashiest songs of its time. Bands are still trying to copy what Reign in Blood did, and they still aren't even close to being as heavy (and its 25 years on). I'm not a huge Slayer fan, but Reign in Blood is a masterpiece.

simmo1

First Grade
Some of simmo1's favourite metal albums.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Van Halen - Van Halen
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I and II

Pretty much any metal album from the 80s is f**king brilliant.

Some of simmo1's favourite metal albums.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Van Halen - Van Halen
Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I and II

Pretty much any metal album from the 80s is f**king brilliant.

Nice picks there.

Liam

Juniors
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Black Label Society - Mafia
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
Alchemist - Tripsis
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Judas Priest - Judas Priest
Nightwish - Once
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall
Tool - Undertow
Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Dream Theater - Images and Words
3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Ozbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Eelementary

Post Whore
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Black Label Society - Mafia
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Helloween - Walls Of Jericho

Alchemist - Tripsis
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Judas Priest - Judas Priest
Nightwish - Once
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Shadows Fall - The War Within

Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall
Tool - Undertow
Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Dream Theater - Images and Words
3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Ozbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Nice!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cradle are almost their own sort of genre imo...they don't really sound like anyone else but you'd loosely classify them as some sort of black. Obviously their earlier stuff fits more into that category and today you can still see that background in them.

Another band that doesn't sound like anyone else even moreso is our very own Aussie band, Alchemist :D

PS: Eele has pretty good taste! SYL/Devi metal! \m/

Opeth, CoB, Helloween and many others I rate too!

Thanks, man! I'm one of those guys who doesn't really have a preferred metal category - metalcore, death, black, speed, power...It's all good!

Because when you actually process the music and listen to it there are distinct differences eg: Thrash Metal and Death Metal, thrash metal has more of a punk influence and utilises high pitch vocals with up tempo beats, where as Death Metal uses low gutteral vocals with chaotic riffs and blast beats: the two sound competely different but are spawned from similar influences. Why should be define different beers and different wines? Because it makes it easier to distinguish between different types. It's not that someone completely over analyses the music to pigeon hole it into some completely obscure genre, bands just tend to form around certain styles based on certain influences. If you don't know a lot about something it's all going to be the same (ie, to me all wine is the same f**king sh*t, red and white). When you actually get into it you start understanding the differences and thus need to categories appropriately.

Well said.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Some of Eele's top albums:

Annotations Of An Autopsy - "Before The Throne Of Infection"

As Blood Runs Black - "Allegiance"

Beneath The Massacre - "Mechanics Of Dysfunction"

Bloodbath - "Resurrection Through Carnage"

Darkthrone - "Sardonic Wrath"

Devian - "God To The Illfated" (HIGHLY recommended)

Anything by Devin Townsedn and SYL

Anything by Opeth

A Different Breed Of Killer - "I, Colossus"

Disarmonia Mundi - "Mind Tricks"

Fear My Thoughts - "Isolation"

The Foreshadowing - "Days Of Nothing"

Anything by Gojira

Hackneyed - "Death Prevails" (HIGHLY recommended)

Heaven Shall Burn - "Iconoclast part I" (HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended)

Anything Kataklysm

Anything Satyricon

Anything November's Doom

Anything Scar Symmetry, Sonic Syndicate, Soilwork

And more...

Martli

Coach

Love this album :D

I'm massively into Behemoth right now. I managed to find a torrent of their yet to be released album "Evangelion" and it is utterly amazing. Really dark, really intense, really intelligent. Love every second of it.

My top 5

Reign in blood - Slayer
Great Southern Trendkill - Pantera
And justice for all - Metallica
No heros - Converge
Crack the sky - Mastodon
Ire Works - The Dillinger Escape Plan

Latest posts