What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

Suitman

Post Whore
I have no doubt we've put a formal offer to him which would consitute a lot of money in NRL terms and to you and I. But when the dust settles I think he'll stick with union on at least double what anyone in the NRL can offer him and our halves for next year will be Mortimer & Robson.

The only other clincher we would have over union is the increased TV exposure he would have playing league instead... perhaps we could get him a Cameron Smith style TV deal

Quite possibly, and those were my thoughts too. But I believe we are in with more than a shot.

Suity

84 Baby

Referee
Quite possibly, and those were my thoughts too. But I believe we are in with more than a shot.

Suity
If you've got inside knowledge you gotta drop better hints. Otherwise I think most people will still believe we've barely left the gates while ARU are rounding into the final straight

DeanPay98

Juniors
Well the ARU's comments show that its a lot of fuss over nothing I guess. Its a pretty cynical move in trying to bump up his ARU price and it comes at a bad time for us.

But to be fair to Ossie and DA they have really tried hard to sign a halfback but they just haven't had any luck.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
I can't remember who it was or what thread, but a few weeks back someone posted that the Eels were looking at someone outside of league. Rep to whoever that was.

Suitman

Post Whore
If you've got inside knowledge you gotta drop better hints. Otherwise I think most people will still believe we've barely left the gates while ARU are rounding into the final straight

No inside knowledge mate, just little tidbits that are being fed to me.
At this stage, I probably know as much as anyone else around here. My gut feeling is that he wouldn't leave 'till after the World Cup. I don't believe the ARU will give him up without a fight, and in that respect, there's probably not an NRL club that could compete with them financially. In saying that - the ARU haven't exactly been throwing money around lately - they have also had to tighten their belt. Quade Cooper is a different case though. Probably the Wallabies most marketable asset atm.

Your guess is as good as mine, but then, stranger things have happened.

Suity

sarahk

Juniors
Quade and Jarryd talk on twitter all the time! Thought i'd add the only insightful information i have.

Parraren

Bench
Just watched the youtube links on page 1.

Wow!

What a talent this guy is and at 22 the sky is the limit.

Wallabies would be nuts to let him go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
At this stage, I probably know as much as anyone else around here. My gut feeling is that he wouldn't leave 'till after the World Cup. I don't believe the ARU will give him up without a fight, and in that respect, there's probably not an NRL club that could compete with them financially. In saying that - the ARU haven't exactly been throwing money around lately - they have also had to tighten their belt. Quade Cooper is a different case though. Probably the Wallabies most marketable asset atm.

Suity

I'm assuming you may get the same tidbits as me...

wanna hear something funny, I'll let the forumer own up to this if he wants but I got a text message from him saying that Ossie was dining with Paul Whatuera..turns out it wasn't Paul at all....;-)

I'm also hearing that we're in with a real shot...lets see waht happens.

DeanPay98

Juniors

Suity

I remember reading a while back that the ARU's finances were becoming a bit tighter. That might be a relevant consideration and it might go in our favour. With the Wallabies not winning much revenue might be down.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm assuming you may get the same tidbits as me...

wanna hear something funny, I'll let the forumer own up to this if he wants but I got a text message from him saying that Ossie was dining with Paul Whatuera..turns out it wasn't Paul at all....;-)

I'm also hearing that we're in with a real shot...lets see waht happens.

It seems that the problem with the ARU contracts are that you get paid based on performance. So if you get suspended for two tests (like Quade just did) it costs you, say $50k. If the coach decides that Berrick Barnes is the go and does not pick Quade, then he's back to base salary. Theoretically he could only earn his base Reds contract coin if he doesn't play as many tests as he hoped.

If he chooses to play for Parra for say $500k, then he gets paid $500k. That certainty is attractive to players who have high investment commitments.