What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week One

Aitken has had serious hamstring injuries previously. Bringing him back too early could kill his career in the long term.

How is Flo going to tackle with a dislocated elbow.

JDB with a foot in a moonboot ...

Only a moron would select Flo, Aitken and JDB given the injuries they have sustained.

Oh wait a minute, not only is Mary stupid, he is also delusional.

Saints need 17 fit players,

Same goes for Widdop, if he isn't fit enough to play this week, no point playing him.

Time to put the club first Paul.

ozbuck

Juniors
Aitken has had serious hamstring injuries previously. Bringing him back too early could kill his career in the long term.

How is Flo going to tackle with a dislocated elbow.

JDB with a foot in a moonboot ...

Only a moron would select Flo, Aitken and JDB given the injuries they have sustained.

Oh wait a minute, not only is Mary stupid, he is also delusional.

Saints need 17 fit players,

Same goes for Widdop, if he isn't fit enough to play this week, no point playing him.

Time to put the club first Paul.

Yeh Mary's word goes over anyone elses word including the players themselves, the conditioning staff and the physio him/herself.

Honestly mate, time to take your dislike of mary down a notch and start seeing things a little clearer.

Yeh Mary's word goes over anyone elses word including the players themselves, the conditioning staff and the physio him/herself.

Honestly mate, time to take your dislike of mary down a notch and start seeing things a little clearer.

Yeah understand Ozbuck, you feel my comments are personal and offensive.

My problem is I see the situation somewhat differently to you.

I am exasperated at the thought of watching Mary make the same mistakes over and over again.

I am offended by Mary’s incompetence and the failure of the board to recognise the need for change.

I am hoping Saints do a John Millman on Sunday and vanquish the Broncos.

Our chances would improve enormously if Mary were to select 17 fit players.

Wonder if I am the only exasperated Saints supporter on this forum.

Have a feeling I may be not be.

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-18030841nh.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL team: Elimination Final v Brisbane Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 4 Sep 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Finals Week One clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, September 9.

Skipper Gareth Widdop has been named to play at five-eighth, five weeks after dislocating his shoulder against the Parramatta Eels.

Kurt Mann drops back to the interchange at the expense of Jai Field.

Jason Nightingale (elbow) and Euan Aitken (hamstring) have also been named in the reserves and could potentially make their returns in Brisbane.

The match will be played as a double header with the Dragons' inaugural Women's Premiership clash scheduled to kick-off at 1:45pm.

NRL squad for Elimination Final v Brisbane Broncos

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Zac Lomax – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt– sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Westfund
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Jason Nightingale
19. Euan Aitken
20. Jacob Host
21. Hame Sele

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/04/nrl-team-elimination-final-v-brisbane-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg-18031542.jpg

DRAGONS

Widdop: Simple Bennett mantra can unleash Dragons halves again
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Tue 4 Sep 2018, 10:30 AM

The same simple Wayne Bennett edict that had Paul McGregor toying with a playmaking shake-up for much of summer looms as the key to dragging the Red V halves back into form.

Midway through England's World Cup campaign 10 months ago Bennett bluntly told Gareth Widdop "you're playing fullback", with the Dragons captain finishing as arguably the player of the tournament by "thinking less, running more".

Widdop returns to the St George Illawarra scrumbase to partner Ben Hunt against his old club and coach this week in a semi-final shootout at Suncorp Stadium, with a 50,000-strong crowd expected for Hunt's first return to his old stomping ground.

The Queensland half has been through the wringer and then some throughout the Dragons' late-season slump, particularly when Widdop was sidelined with a dislocated shoulder for the past month.

There's no suggestion the Englishman will make a shock switch to fullback against the Broncos, but Widdop did spend plenty of the pre-season training there as McGregor weighed up replicating the move before plumping for the livewire Matt Dufty.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Broncos - Round 1, 2018

Casting back to his time in England camp under Bennett, Widdop sees a similar back-to-basics approach as the circuit breaker for Hunt and his teammates.

"I hadn't played fullback for six or seven years, not since my Melbourne days when Wayne made that call – there wasn't a discussion," Widdop grinned.

"It was a good move, I was just playing footy and not overthinking things too much.

"This year I think my game has freed up a lot… We all know (Hunt) is a great runner of the football, he's strong, he's quick.

"Myself being out the last couple of weeks, he's had to take on a little bit more of a halfback's role... hopefully when I get back this week I can free him up a little bit and start taking on the line more because he's a dangerous player.

"When you're not thinking, you're going out there and enjoying the game, that's why we play the game. You play the game for enjoyment.

"There's nothing better than finals time, playing packed out stadiums. You go out there, embrace it and go out there and perform well."

huntb-17022442.jpg

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
Hunt has been under the microscope like no other player in 2018, a combination of his million-dollar price tag and high profile move between two marquee clubs, his demotion from Queensland's No.7 jumper and subsequent Dragons decline.

Broncos captain and mate Darius Boyd spoke strongly in defence of his ex-teammate for the second time in as many days on Monday, describing the barrage of criticism directed at Hunt as "very unfair and unwarranted".

"Unfortunately that is life sometimes and we have to put up with negative people and naysayers. I think it has gone too far," Boyd said.

Widdop echoed that sentiment, but was confident Hunt had not been adversely effected by the spotlight.

"As a teammate and a friend you're always asking 'are you ok?' because he's copped a lot of criticism," Widdop said.

"But I keep saying it's not an individual sport. We play a team sport. It can't just go on one bloke's shoulders. Early on this year when we were going well he was the hero.

"Now we're struggling and he's copping all the blame. It's disappointing to see but thankfully Ben's a pretty laid back sort of dude and I think moving forward he's got a massive game going up to Brisbane, his old club and he'll be excited for it."

The NRL Fans Poll - have your say

Don't miss out on seeing your team chase premiership glory. Make sure to get your tickets to week 1 of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...nett-mantra-can-unleash-dragons-halves-again/

Crush

Coach
Most pleased to see that both Lomax and Pereira have been retained in the starting side as well as Mann on the bench .
This 1-17 looks good if all stays the same and all are fit.
Lets hope it stays like this.

This Year?

Immortal
Atkins / Sutton
lol we are going to get f**ked hard. The first 20 minutes will be #penaltybroncos until they are up by at least 20 points. The Broncos will spend must of the time inside the 10 without any penalty. Then the stupid nothing square up penalties will happen when our forwards are completely spent to make it not look as biased.

I would love to see how the game turns out with an even playing field.

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell desperate to break finals duck
Dragons Den
r0_0_3888_2592_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FIRE BURNS: Tyson Frizell. Picture: AAP

HE'S won an Origin series and a World Cup among a host of representative honours, but Dragons forward Tyson Frizell admits stepping into the finals arena is an unfamiliar feeling.

Despite the swag of rep jumpers in his wardrobe, Frizell's lone finals appearance came in a golden-point defeat to the Bulldogs in week one of the 2015 playoffs.

It leaves him without a finals victory in his 132-game NRL career and the 26-year-old says his long list of rep accolades has done little to ease the annual sting of watching rivals go around in September.

“I'd give up those things to win premierships every year,” Frizell said.

“You don't play sport for the individual things, the trophies, the medals, you do it to win premierships. You put in all the hard work [at club level] and you want to be going in the same direction and doing it all together.

“It's awesome to be playing footy at this time of the year. I guess you could say I'm not familiar with it, I've only played one [final] and we all know how that panned out.

“It's what we play footy for and why we train so hard in the off season. We don't train hard and perform the way to do to get knocked out early. We want to play as well as we can this week and hopefully go the whole way.”

The belief the Dragons can do just that hasn't wavered despite heading into the match with just three wins from their last nine games – including last week's gritty, but far from convincing, win over Newcastle.

They'll face a Broncos side that's arguably the form team of the competition having knocked off the Rabbitohs and Roosters before flogging Manly 48-16 last week.

It's left the majority of punters quick to write off the Dragons chances at Suncorp Stadium this week, but Frizell said there's no lack a faith in the away shed.

“You can ask anyone that question and they'll all be saying the same thing, everyone has that belief in their team,” Frizell said.

“If you don't have that belief then you're not here this time of year. Our form of late probably hasn't shown that but the footy we've played throughout the year, if you take that into account [it does].

“We've been a top-four team all year bar a couple of weeks. You see from [team] number one to number eight there's two points in it.

“We've got a strong group of players here that want to play for each other and play well. If people want to back us they can back us, if they don't, it's their choice.

“I know for myself, and on behalf of the players, we have a strong belief in what we can do with this side.”

Suncorp Stadium has proven a finals torture chamber for the Dragons, who went straight out of the finals at the venue in 2009 and 2011 – ironically with current Broncos coach Wayne Bennett at the helm.

They've also lost their last 10 straight games in Brisbane, but Frizell is relishing the chance to play at the venue where he tasted success in both Origin I and the World Cup final in 2017.

"We have a lot of fans up there to be honest,”Frizell

“I guess a lot of people say it’s hard to go up there and play but I find it enjoyable as a player to go up there and play at Suncorp.

“It's an experience like no other so we're looking forward to it and enjoying the week we have before we go up there and play against a strong Broncos side.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5626088/frizell-desperate-to-break-finals-duck/?cs=3713

ouryears

Bench
You might have been a supporter once but you certainly aren't anymore with the rubbish you type, chief. There's plenty of other teams for you to support, no one wants to hear about your "if I were CEO/Coach". The fact you whine constantly on here shows that you are well and truly under some God delusion.
First of all calling yourself My man Gasnier is delusional.
You come across like a 5 yr old with your points of discussion.
Losing with monotonous regularity since 2012 thanks to two coaches who aren't even fit to coach under 10s is the reason for people's criticism of the club.

You know it.

People like you aren't real fans, you have your head in the sand, telling others that everything is fine when you really know we are a poor to average team since 2011.

Criticising people who agitate for change tells me you have no idea or you are a troll.

ouryears

Bench
O
In your view we have a long way to go, not necessarily in anyone else's. A real fan supports the team through thick and thin. A fake fan makes snide remarks about players, coaching staff and management as if they have all the answers, that is the height of arrogance and delusion. They say they're realists, but they think by political point scoring over every decision made that somehow will fix the problem. That isn't reality, that is fantasy. The reality is you're a supporter of the team, your opinion does not matter, your support does. So make a choice, support the team or don't, the ranting on here will not achieve anything and I for one, have had a complete gutful of it.

You say everyone thinks the board is corrupt, but I call bullshit on that. Instead it is outdated, out of touch and delusional fair weather fans expecting instant results. We won a premiership 8 years ago, that is not a long time. The circle jerkers can learn to accept the club for what is and where it is or they can support another team/follow another sport.
Ok Doust, move on.
Take the nugget with you

Latest posts