What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If Amone goes (and im sure he will appeal yet), we need to replace that halves body, thats #1 of our non-negotiables.. were not gonna play a kid like King-Togia in 1st grade after hes had 3 reserve grade games.. he was playing SG Ball this year... we need real coverage for Hunt and Kyle.

That doesnt leave many options for 2024.. Gamble if hes up for it.. why the hell not.. its got to be someone like that.. were not going to shoot for a young 18yr old.. we need a 1st grader, itll be good for the cup side also.

I feel like there are a couple of spine players at the tigers and dogs that would be cheap pickups (that they might be happy to let go to save cap space).. but we wont be able to get them until during 2024 when they arent getting gametime.. we need to have this player contracted before March 1st... and ideally 'now' for pre-season.
I've written off Amone. Even if he does appeal he doesn't deserve to be in the side.

Yes we need a back-up half. No I don't see it being Gamble, or anyone half decent. I doubt old Flanno would drop young Flanno for anyone other than a really top-class half. Conversely you won't lure someone like Gamble here if it's only to play NSW cup.

The fact we are even talking about this makes me wonder if there is any strategic thinking going on at the club.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m back to my original expectation of 24 under Flanno. That he will concentrate on toughening us up and making us hard to beat.
That would be a good start anyway.
I think that the comparison of our forwards of 2023 to 2024 will be vastly different in that the guys in 2024 will be much more toughened up and will not be walked over as much as they were last season. While it has been said that our forwards were about 15th on the table as being weakest and walk overs, those other clubs' forwards I agree were much more dominant than us but our players' improvement will be much higher than the others as they have reached their high point and we will catch up next season and do some damage is what I am predicting.

Dragon David

First Grade
I've written off Amone. Even if he does appeal he doesn't deserve to be in the side.

Yes we need a back-up half. No I don't see it being Gamble, or anyone half decent. I doubt old Flanno would drop young Flanno for anyone other than a really top-class half. Conversely you won't lure someone like Gamble here if it's only to play NSW cup.

The fact we are even talking about this makes me wonder if there is any strategic thinking going on at the club.
I think there would be a lot of strategic thinking Johnno. Now that it is likely that Amone won't be a Dragon maybe forever, they would have to be discussing back-ups and especially the good ones that come on the market and be available to target.

If I was Flanno, I would wait and see what the lay of the land is like insofar as getting a couple of guys for 2024 and definitely doing a lot of work on 2025 recruiting targets. In the meantime we wait for the games to begin and see how things look like going in 2024.

I don't think we will read or hear anything much from Flanno and therefore the journos as well for a while now.

qld redvee

Juniors
I think that the comparison of our forwards of 2023 to 2024 will be vastly different in that the guys in 2024 will be much more toughened up and will not be walked over as much as they were last season. While it has been said that our forwards were about 15th on the table as being weakest and walk overs, those other clubs' forwards I agree were much more dominant than us but our players' improvement will be much higher than the others as they have reached their high point and we will catch up next season and do some damage is what I am predicting.
DD,
we will be fitter so will improve us . BUT main thing to improve us is to 100% ditch the 5 meaningless hit ups and woeful hunt kick on the last ..... If flanno can get them passing and rumming into space then we will compete . ALSO not letting little benny touch the ball on every play ....
thats the way to improve and then get some signings to assisst the team going forward

Dragon David

First Grade
DD,
we will be fitter so will improve us . BUT main thing to improve us is to 100% ditch the 5 meaningless hit ups and woeful hunt kick on the last ..... If flanno can get them passing and rumming into space then we will compete . ALSO not letting little benny touch the ball on every play ....
thats the way to improve and then get some signings to assisst the team going forward
That's right qld redvee. We know the drill, I'm sure Flanno knows as well so put it into practise and get those improved signings to bolster the squad to become harder to beat.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tristian Sailor is apparently close to going to England. Saints should have tried to get him back. He would have been a great back up if not starter for me. I always liked Tristian and he did well at the Broncs when given a go last season. Another of the juniors released on off field stuff.

If he kills it in England next season, Flanno should look to him for 2025.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Tristian Sailor is apparently close to going to England. Saints should have tried to get him back. He would have been a great back up if not starter for me. I always liked Tristian and he did well at the Broncs when given a go last season. Another of the juniors released on off field stuff.

Not NRL standard, poor man’s Dufty

TheRev

Coach

Re: Amone, there could be some complexity around dropping him out of the 30 if he is in the process of an appeal.. that was my only concern...do we have to wait until its resolved?

Ur prob right re: gamble.. he is still in contract, and I think everyone even half decent is.. and sitting with the dogs/tigers already. But we have to find someone.. as we need 29/30 sorted by March 1st... we could offer them more dollars given our cap space drama... we literally need to spend it.

KFlan could also be a really useful 14 for us.. im not even sure who else our 14 is going to be.. I think any half who comes here doesnt have much competition in front of them.. but it is true.. the expectation of NSW Cup to start probably makes it hard to pluck anyone out of a contract at another NRL club.

Dragon David

First Grade

Definitely! He could be our Ben Barba. I just like the way Sailor plays is my simple answer.

In particular Peter Fitzgerald

He was a defensive machine

I remember a 19-0 lead at Penrith Park that ended in a 25-19 loss when Peter was taken off with 20 minutes to go.
I was there that day Saints Forever. Can’t remember Peter Fitzgerald being replaced, I’ll take your word for that. Not much of him, but defensive machine as you say. My lasting memory of that day was the two Pommies, Mick Stephenson and Bill Ashurst carving us up.

I was there that day Saints Forever. Can’t remember Peter Fitzgerald being replaced, I’ll take your word for that. Not much of him, but defensive machine as you say. My lasting memory of that day was the two Pommies, Mick Stephenson and Bill Ashurst carving us up.
They had a lock who scored 5 tries

must be some sort of record

since77

Juniors
Since 77,
Makes you wonder how hook thought they were fit enough and how the players just accepted the low standard set..
'Twas probably easy for Hook watching on while he sucked on a can of coke. But yeah, shows just how far behind the times Hook was. The teams winning during his tenure were young, fast and fit. Hook moulded a side that was full of near- retirees, unfit and slow. No surprises we ended up narrowly avoiding a wooden spoon.

Latest posts