What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

perverse

Referee
but I haven't seen enough of him to form a real opinion.
he is as sure a thing as i have ever seen. don't let his rep performances to date sway you, his impact on our prop rotation will be absolutely immense. he's so far ahead of our current options, even the ones i like such as Richie, that he's probably about to lap them. around the planet, that is.

there's always the argument that he might get lazy again coming home... but how many players do you see get lazy under Bennett?

getting Boyd and Snowden is absolutely getting the cream of the NRL crop. they are the 2 best players that are off contract on the market, in my opinion... with some good names behind them, too.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I'd prefer Snowden as we have terrible forwards while we have decent fullbacks.

there's always the argument that he might get lazy again coming home... but how many players do you see get lazy under Bennett?

That's what I was concerned about - that he might get lazy like Tolar seems to have. But, as you put it, Bennett would keep him on his toes or he'd be out. I wonder if there is hope for Tolar under Bennett? He *did* have a lot more strike power a few years ago. Or maybe he just needs a new club.
Should we keep Tolar on promise? eek, I shiver at either that idea or the current weather.

Gold Coast Titans withdraw their NRL contract offer to St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd
By Christopher Boyd FOX SPORTS May 09, 2011 2:29PM

Taking his time ... Gold Coast Titans run out of time, withdraw their offer. Source: Simon Bullard / News Limited
Newcastle Knights have firmed as favourites to secure the services of off-contract St George-Illawarra NRL star Darius Boyd after Gold Coast Titans withdrew their contract offer.

NRL Talking Points

Your say: The big issues from round eight of the NRL
NRL Adjudicator

Verdict: 'Rod Stewart could play fullback they would win'
Gold Coast Titans, who have already pulled off a major coup signing Canterbury-Bankstown star Jamal Idris for next season, said Boyd had failed to meet Monday's deadline to accept their deal.

"We wish Darius all the best with his future playing career and thank him for his engagement and interest but regrettably we can no longer continue to delay other negotiations of similar importance to our club," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"We will now divert our efforts on other players within our sights."

"We wish Darius all the best with his future playing career and thank him for his engagement and interest.

"Regrettably we can no longer continue to delay other negotiations of similar importance to our club.''

Boyd, who is recovering from a hamstring injury, is now likely to follow his first NRL coach Wayne Bennett from St George Illawarra to the Knights.

Bennett, who has signed a four-year deal with Newcastle Knights owner Nathan Tinkler, rescued Boyd's NRL career after Brisbane Broncos failed to offer him a new deal in 2009.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...back-darius-boyd/story-fn2mcuj6-1226052596758

Noice anyone?

Whats Doing

Bench
Boyd and Snowden will be with us in 2012.

Just on whether Snowden will be lazy on his return to Newie, you only have to look at Weyman and Cuthbertson who have both trimmed down considerably since coming under Bennett's influence and have improved immensely as a result. I can see Snowy doing the same.

Matt23

Staff member
If Boyd really wants to spend time with his nan in Queensland, I'm sure Tink's would be more then happy to allow him to use the jet as well

If Boyd really wants to spend time with his nan in Queensland, I'm sure Tink's would be more then happy to allow him to use the jet as well

and maybe I could hitch a ride down on the return trip and get to a Newie home game. Win, win for all!

Burwood

Bench
Use of the jet comes under the salary cap...

Newcastle need to be creative. How about if they justify it as Boyd bummin' a lift off a mate? Does Naiqama have to declare to Schubert any lifts he gets from mates to training etc? ;-)

Serc

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Darius Boyd taking his time on decision on where he will play next

• Barry Toohey
  • May 10, 2011 12:00AM
NEWCASTLE will announce the signing of Cronulla Test prop Kade Snowden as early as today but it might be a further week or two away before the club knows if it has also snared Dragons' fullback Darius Boyd. Boyd is officially off the Gold Coast's radar after the Dragons star failed to meet a 5pm deadline yesterday on a decision on his future, leaving the Knights, Brisbane and the Dragons vying for his signature.
The Titans had sent a revised offer to Boyd's manager George Mimis on Friday with no deadline stipulation but that all changed in an email sent yesterday morning.
"They told us this morning they wanted an answer by 5 o'clock today and we basically said we weren't in a position to make a decision by then," Mimis said.
Boyd is expected to now wait for at least a further week to see if Brisbane can come up with a big enough offer to tempt him into going home. But the Knights remain a firm favourite with the Wayne Bennett coaching factor the major attraction.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-will-play-next/story-e6frexnr-1226052844846