What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Proposed private bid for an 50,000 Auckland Stadium

0xWfMFB.jpg

c0R7T3l.jpg

1OvRJjH.jpg

oqeggKB.jpg

rgSFhhW.jpg
Does that mean the stadium could flood at King Tide? :thinking::thinking:

Reactions: siv

Timbo

Staff member
Cricket has already announced it’s leaving Eden Park and rugby has indicated that it’s not it’s preferred venue. The Auckland proposal has a fair chance of getting up if this is the case.

I see today A-League have narrowed their expansion options down to 6.

Best case scenario for Rugby League?

It seems Woolongong & Ipswich were ruled out, and it appears the other Brisbane team was already gone, not the best news. Of those remaining:
  • Canberra - Could only help Raiders get a new stadium across the line.
  • Southern Expansion (Sydney/Woolongong) - If they build their new stadium it may give Dragons & Sharks a closer option for a home final if rent prices aren't extortionate. If they play in Woolongong in may help WIN get a bit of a touch up.
  • Macarthur South West Sydney (Campbelltown) - Gives Campbelltown Stadium another tenant, probably won't help or hinder the Tigers much really.
  • Team 11 (Dandenong) - Might give Storm a stadium to play a trial at, very little help.
  • Western Melbourne (Geelong) - Same as above.
  • South Melbourne - No help.
Not overly confident that any will be a success but if they can do their part in getting upgrades across the line then it'd be good for NRL, they won't rip a new stadium down if the A-League team folds.

Barr has repeatedly said that CBR wont get a new stadium without an a league tenant.

so fingers crossed.

Southern Expansion plan to play at loftus.
if they get up, their plan is to build a 30,000 seater there funded by their Chinese backers.
if that gets built, theres no way the league don't make sharks and dragons both play there. which I would be fine with provided the rental deals are fine.
we own our own ground sure but if theres a flash new venue down the road, we should knock down shark park and build more apartments or something

IMO theres limited scope for shark park to be improved greatly.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Barr has repeatedly said that CBR wont get a new stadium without an a league tenant.

so fingers crossed.

Southern Expansion plan to play at loftus.
if they get up, their plan is to build a 30,000 seater there funded by their Chinese backers.
if that gets built, theres no way the league don't make sharks and dragons both play there. which I would be fine with provided the rental deals are fine.
we own our own ground sure but if theres a flash new venue down the road, we should knock down shark park and build more apartments or something

IMO theres limited scope for shark park to be improved greatly.

Not that its likely with Spineless wonder Gallop in charge, but it would be brilliant if they said the ALeague team is Canberra's IF, and only if, they build this stadium

jim_57

Staff member
Does that mean the stadium could flood at King Tide? :thinking::thinking:

Judging by those pictures, a drunk (or overly enthusiastic) punter could go for a quick swim at half time?

Looks like a pretty idiotic design just to be "fancy". I'd have no issue with building over the water if that's where they want the stadium but having direct access to the water from the stadium in a recipe for several kinds of disasters.

siv

First Grade
Now how will it handle any small tidal waves or earthquakes ?

I guess it will make a good Sea World during the off season

magpie_man

Juniors

If that is the case, surely it'd be at least worth consideration for the Raiders -with all of their financial clout - to bankroll a Canberra A-League franchise?
I know Gallop was dead-against the Panthers owning the Wanderers but the ACT is a completely different animal to Western Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If that is the case, surely it'd be at least worth consideration for the Raiders -with all of their financial clout - to bankroll a Canberra A-League franchise?
I know Gallop was dead-against the Panthers owning the Wanderers but the ACT is a completely different animal to Western Sydney.

Wouldn't it be better to invest that expenditure in a stadium they co-owned with the NRL? $50mill spent on a soccer club could be better used on owning their own home I'd have thought. Not sure how the European sports clubs can afford to build their own but here we rely exclusively on Govt?

Timbo

Staff member
Wouldn't it be better to invest that expenditure in a stadium they co-owned with the NRL? $50mill spent on a soccer club could be better used on owning their own home I'd have thought. Not sure how the European sports clubs can afford to build their own but here we rely exclusively on Govt?

It would be significantly cheaper to invest as a partner in an A-League side than self fund a stadium.

And you don't understand why professional soccer teams in Europe have more money than Australian NRL teams? I'll just add that to the list of blindingly obvious things that fly over your head then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would be significantly cheaper to invest as a partner in an A-League side than self fund a stadium.

And you don't understand why professional soccer teams in Europe have more money than Australian NRL teams? I'll just add that to the list of blindingly obvious things that fly over your head then.

Not talking about your Man Utd's or Chelsea's, more your Brentfords and York's of the world. They use a combination of private investment, property development and a bit of hard cash thrown in. There's plenty of sub 30k stadiums in Europe built by NRL size sports clubs. Maybe if Govt became more tolerant of this approach they wouldn't have to keep dipping into tax payers money for sports venues. When you consider that somewhere like Canberra you could also build a massive pokie den as part of the development it shouldn't be hard to finance a $250mill stadium, especially with tenants in Union and possible other opportunities in the future like Aleague.

The Great Dane

First Grade

so fingers crossed.

There's almost no chance that Canberra gets one of the A-league licenses (it'll almost certainly be another Sydney club and Melbourne club), but even if we did Barr would just move the goalposts again, so I wouldn't let myself get excited if I was you.

Cricket has already announced it’s leaving Eden Park and rugby has indicated that it’s not it’s preferred venue. The Auckland proposal has a fair chance of getting up if this is the case.

Good news about the cricket, absolutely farcical ground to play it on.