What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

t-ba

Post Whore
Omfg I have kind of got over the code wars (follow what you want!) But jeezus christ the salt coming from AFL types is so f**king good!

Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

Vee

First Grade
i think the QLD state gov are starting to realise that hosting the olympics was a shithouse idea.............
It took them a while, they're not as smart as Joe Average.

It was always a vanity project for Puddleduck and the smartest thing she ever did was to jump when it got hard to preserve her "legacy".

I get that but I still think it’s steep and then I thought, lawyers. There’s half your bill there.
Did they have to acquire approval from and pay money to a local indigenous group?

I've heard of volunteers not being allowed to plant trees alongside a river in WA without being asked to pay millions to an indigenous group.

Did they have to acquire approval from and pay money to a local indigenous group?

I've heard of volunteers not being allowed to plant trees alongside a river in WA without being asked to pay millions to an indigenous group.
My qualifications are eating, drinking and talking rubbish. Others on here might know better but given it would be such an honour to fly the flag, I can’t imagine they got too greedy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd ditch the athletics stadium, spend $1.5bill extending and upgrading the Gabba to host the Olympics and keep it fit for purpose for the next 30 years and $1bill turning suncorp into a 70k+ state of the art stadium fit for purpose for next 40 years. At least Brisbane then gets two main stadiums with significant upgrades and Olympics gets a reasonable venue in the city with some legacy of transport and tourist amenities around it.

I suspect the LNP have the Gabba partial rebuild in mind looking at their presser on what they'll do in having yet another independent review.

Seems nuts to me to spend $1.6bill on a athletics stadium that is primarily for kids and amateurs to use and has no revenue raising potential of any significance for the Govt.

blukablu

Juniors
I'd ditch the athletics stadium, spend $1.5bill extending and upgrading the Gabba to host the Olympics and keep it fit for purpose for the next 30 years and $1bill turning suncorp into a 70k+ state of the art stadium fit for purpose for next 40 years. At least Brisbane then gets two main stadiums with significant upgrades and Olympics gets a reasonable venue in the city with some legacy of transport and tourist amenities around it.

I suspect the LNP have the Gabba partial rebuild in mind looking at their presser on what they'll do in having yet another independent review.

Seems nuts to me to spend $1.6bill on a athletics stadium that is primarily for kids and amateurs to use and has no revenue raising potential of any significance for the Govt.

The Gabba can't host athletics without a complete knockdown and rebuild, costing 3b+. The field isn't big enough to accommodate a running track and there are 2 major roads on either side. Hence the reason they didn't want to do it in the 1st place. Why build the most expensive stadium in the world for the Lions who will go back to a 20k average crowd and cricket which rarely sells out a 36,000 stadium far less a 55k+ stadium?

If you're putting 1.5b just so the Gabba can host the opening and closing games, why wouldn't you put that money into Suncorp? Our premier and most used stadium?

People can whinge all they want, but the latest strategy is actually the most sensible.

The only other thing that makes sense is to give the athletics to Carra Stadium and save costs on QEII but obviously, the government wants to turn it into a word class athletics center. And despite what people say, QEII actually gets all year-round use.

Vlad59

Juniors

Seems nuts to me to spend $1.6bill on an athletics stadium that is primarily for kids and amateurs to use and has no revenue raising potential of any significance for the Govt.
AFL fan wants afl ground upgrades in NRL state.

Canard

Immortal

I would highly doubt the "just spending less" on the Gabba, wasn't investigated.

There is clearly some constraints there that make this not an option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would highly doubt the "just spending less" on the Gabba, wasn't investigated.

There is clearly some constraints there that make this not an option.
Wasnt the original pitch for the Olympics to do just that? Rebuild some of the Gabba so it would fit? Was that just a furphy to get the games?

It’s the beginning of the end for the fumblers. No longer do they have the politician‘s ear and they’ve been locked out of the corridors of powers. It’s only a matter of time where they’ll be forgotten and end up a sad footnote in Australia‘s sporting history while the UN employ the NRL to help with geopolitical issues and help save the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Gabba can't host athletics without a complete knockdown and rebuild, costing 3b+. The field isn't big enough to accommodate a running track and there are 2 major roads on either side. Hence the reason they didn't want to do it in the 1st place. Why build the most expensive stadium in the world for the Lions who will go back to a 20k average crowd and cricket which rarely sells out a 36,000 stadium far less a 55k+ stadium?

If you're putting 1.5b just so the Gabba can host the opening and closing games, why wouldn't you put that money into Suncorp? Our premier and most used stadium?

People can whinge all they want, but the latest strategy is actually the most sensible.

The only other thing that makes sense is to give the athletics to Carra Stadium and save costs on QEII but obviously, the government wants to turn it into a word class athletics center. And despite what people say, QEII actually gets all year-round use.
Its not just about opening and cling ceremony, the athletics stadium is the face of the Olympics and the precinct around it the heart of the games. The plan was a sound wone in that regards, lining that area to south bank would have been amazing for visitors and future tourism.

If Gabba cant realistically be partially rebuilt for the games for $1.5bill fair enough, but it seems the answer they have come up with is more about public sentiment than best outcomes for the event that the whole thing is actually happening for! $1.6bill for a kids athletic stadium that will be a pretty ho hum face of the games seems a massive wasted opportunity for Brisbane.

Wb1234

Referee

Seems nuts to me to spend $1.6bill on an athletics stadium that is primarily for kids and amateurs to use and has no revenue raising potential of any significance for the Govt.
You want to give the afl more than rugby league ?

im shocked

Perth Red

Post Whore
You want to give the afl more than rugby league ?

im shocked
I want the olympics to have a suitable venue that doesnt embarrass the country and Brisbane a suitable legacy, sporting and non sporting, for spending billions of $'s.

The fact Suncorp is getting anything when it doesnt actually need it for the Olympics, which is what the funding has been set aside for, is dubious to say the least and smacks of vote winning decision making rather than whats best for the Olympics.

Thats not to say there shouldn't be a plan to upgrade Suncorp and get it to a 70k modern stadium, the two are not directly related imo. If we were talking a soccer world cup then obviously it would be a totally different conversation.