What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Von Neumann

Juniors
Cronulla, Penrith and manly are never going to survive in centralised stadiums. They can barely draw crowds with stadiums on their doorsteps. Sydney folk won't travel from outer suburbia to ANZ or sfs and those clubs do not have the city wide appeal of the bigger clubs.

Ph Bulldogs and tigers a redeveloped parra stadium. Souths and dragons (1/2 games) a new 40k sfs replacement.

With this current plan the three outer suburb clubs are still screwed and we end up with two big empty stadiums where most club games will be played. Doesn't sound like a good outcome for nrl in Sydney.

I'm with you man. I want the best outcome too.

I think there is opportunity cost involved with this, and eventual round reduction. Not only the abundance of games though that O.C relates to. I'm pretty sure people stay away because of the facilities as well. Multiply the low expectation of the facilities and what is slight disgust across years and that's plenty of people to draw back to newer venues with less abundance of matches. Crowds should swell notably.

I'm in the process actually of putting together a formula for this. I believe it can be measured, and I will at a later date present a thread on it on this very site along with a season plan. Maybe the game would look something like what the thread will entail.

The paradox of choice, eh...

Wait till people get into the habit of going to one of these venues. I'm sure your commute to work felt long at one stage too.

The city wide appeal will come. But first they need a quality option and for clubs to keep working on that appeal. More than ever I think juniors going to arlc control is for the best.

Example: will racism exist when we are on two planets? Expand the scope to encompass more. Let tribal borders be less stark and narrow. Transcend somewhat

Don't forget with reduced NRL rounds, reciprocal rights and memberships, a dedicated light rail, quality facilities, I think they'll draw larger crowds than you're anticipating. Its also a soccer and union stadium too.

Apparently the council out west are hoping to give West's a ground.

I think if we remember what anz did for crowds, and people bemoan anz empty seats, but averages have doubled. A similar effect with enhancements or much the same can happen for the others. That's been documented about stg and others at the modern grounds. I think they're safe in assuming that for this new sfs, and parra. Its only going to have an increase effect. All those things extra ib mentioned that have not been applied to even anz just yet.

When that happens I don't think subsidizing crowds like anz will be required. But good stadia deals will be needed. Make this stadium an attendance stadium.

But in regards to size, they got 65k plus facilities to make back 800m over 20 or 30 years. Best to use it and try and fill it from the start as often as possible.

Which is not to say another stadium won't be built via a different method, backers.

Pssst.... Some of those teams won't be around in 20 years possibly anyway..... Hey! Why am I whispering??

I'd like to hear other plans. Just got to get past the trusts front row forwards, thats if people are considering the best plans already foiled. I'm not so sure. Each new stadium is an ongoing investment. The whole point was rationalization.

The NRL therefore may be on their side, sure, but like I said other stadia from other sources may become realities. They'll have to work around the main ones though. In a few years time they can assess that better. But i honestly think stadium rationalization is more sensible. I can't stress that enough.

For instance im not trying to be antsy but tell me how does every new Yorker get to met life or Yankee stadium. Is it feasibly 100% convenient for them all?

Anyway they don't need stadiums as such. Sure it's great if the population base is close but really it matters less than you may imagine. What they will be getting though is an icon. Like the scg -- which let's face it crowds goto. Same Moore park area!! And the MCG. Both icons. Suncorp is an icon too. . Opportunity cost, marketing, less options greater quality, less abundance of matches, wider appeal of teams. These things need to be factored in.

Bravo arlc, nrl and the trust, NSW, let's hope its an acceptable proposal. In some ways you've got to see the world in 4D, and all the threads/strings at once, along a timeline, with history in mind

Last edited:

T to the T

Juniors
Cronulla, Penrith and manly are never going to survive in centralised stadiums. They can barely draw crowds with stadiums on their doorsteps. Sydney folk won't travel from outer suburbia to ANZ or sfs and those clubs do not have the city wide appeal of the bigger clubs.

Ph Bulldogs and tigers a redeveloped parra stadium. Souths and dragons (1/2 games) a new 40k sfs replacement.

With this current plan the three outer suburb clubs are still screwed and we end up with two big empty stadiums where most club games will be played. Doesn't sound like a good outcome for nrl in Sydney.

Penrith, Cronulla and Manly need to develop Sydney wide fanbases or get their existing fans off their asses and go to these centralised venues if they want to survive and thrive. Look at Souths, playing in ANZ, around 25 minutes drive from their ancestral home and drawing well (for the NRL anyway). Manly is about the same time distance from SFS. Souths have adapted, there's no reason a Manly side who has been Premiers twice and relatively successful since 2008 can not attempt to broaden their appeal too. Cronulla is about half an hour from SFS too.

There's no reason why we can't have Easts, Souths, Manly, St George and Cronulla playing out of the new 65k SFS and Parra, Canterbury, Wests and Penrith playing out of a 35k new stadium in Parramatta.

I don't advocate axing teams but if the likes of Cronulla (Penrith will be fine and I'm sure Manly will get it's act together) are not financially viable at NRL level then let the market have it's way.

I do not want teams actively kicked out though, what happened to Norths, and Souths to a degree, was a travesty and a reason why AFL and RU were able to carve out a niche when Norths were shafted. Fans of broke teams wouldn't have turned away from the RL like fans of shafted teams did. If you left Norths in and they died naturally, people wouldn't take it as hard, you forcibly kick them out and people do. The response of fans who have lost their club is at first vindictiveness. By changing codes they are looking for a fresh start. To stay with RL they are constantly lamenting their lost club. They are deliberately turning their back on the sport that has betrayed their loyalty.

big hit!

Bench
Penrith, Cronulla and Manly need to develop Sydney wide fanbases or get their existing fans off their asses and go to these centralised venues if they want to survive and thrive. Look at Souths, playing in ANZ, around 25 minutes drive from their ancestral home and drawing well (for the NRL anyway). Manly is about the same time distance from SFS. Souths have adapted, there's no reason a Manly side who has been Premiers twice and relatively successful since 2008 can not attempt to broaden their appeal too. Cronulla is about half an hour from SFS too.

There's no reason why we can't have Easts, Souths, Manly, St George and Cronulla playing out of the new 65k SFS and Parra, Canterbury, Wests and Penrith playing out of a 35k new stadium in Parramatta.

I don't advocate axing teams but if the likes of Cronulla (Penrith will be fine and I'm sure Manly will get it's act together) are not financially viable at NRL level then let the market have it's way.

I do not want teams actively kicked out though, what happened to Norths, and Souths to a degree, was a travesty and a reason why AFL and RU were able to carve out a niche when Norths were shafted. Fans of broke teams wouldn't have turned away from the RL like fans of shafted teams did. If you left Norths in and they died naturally, people wouldn't take it as hard, you forcibly kick them out and people do. The response of fans who have lost their club is at first vindictiveness. By changing codes they are looking for a fresh start. To stay with RL they are constantly lamenting their lost club. They are deliberately turning their back on the sport that has betrayed their loyalty.

Homogenous and generic to a T. If you want a league made of teams which only differ in name and in colour of kit, then that's a great way to go about it.

Souths have a Sydney-wide appeal due to their history and gentrification of their district. In contrast, folks who grow up in the northern beaches or in the Sutherland shire tend to remain there all their lives. If you don't grow up in those areas, why would you want to support its team?

Sydney rugby league clubs are very much similar to London football clubs.....they represent regions of the metropolitan. This is unlike the AFL when the teams all had their own home grounds where you they were predominantly concentrated within neighbouringinner city suburbs. All Melbourne AFL clubs have tried to be all things to the whole metropolitan because of centralisation, and several are struggling. Now the AFL is facing the situation where the old big clubs are getting bigger as they attract more new supporters to their games because the atmosphere at their games is better when they regularly get 50-60k at the MCG in comparison to teams who can attract only 30k at the large cavernous venues.

You're also ignoring how there are generations of apathetic supporters when it comes to regularly attending League matches in the Sydney metropolitan. this won't change while the NRl panders to broadcasters with scheduling.

big hit!

Bench
A 65k stadium is still going to look sht for 95% of club games. Build a 40k roofed stadium to replace sfs, upgrade parra to 35k with decent stand roofs, leave ANZ as is for big games and finals, replace manly, Cronulla and Penrith with new 20k stadiums. Sydney sorted.

Roofed so most supporters are protected from the elements. It doesn't have to be indoors.

But otherwise, yes.

Just watching the Juventus vs Real Madrid match from Turin. This is how stadiums in Sydney need to be. Juve are one of the biggest clubs in the world and their recently built home has a capacity of 40k. Sight lines and rake are fantastic and it is filled every f**kin match. This is what should be built at SFS and somewhere in western sydney.

Juventus-Stadium-HD-Wallpaper-9.jpg

04_big.jpg

T to the T

Juniors
Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham don't just have regional fanbases but are massive throughout the southeast, and have a presence nationally and internationally. The Premier League is a beast to it's own but to suggest that Arsenal and Spurs only have support in North London, Chelsea in the west and West Han in the east is silly. All 4 clubs could play out of Wembley and get blockbuster gates.

If those in Cronulla and Manly are not willing to travel 25 minutes to watch their side compete in the world's premier rugby competition then maybe they are not viable at that level. To support a policy of maintaining 6 or 7 20k suburban stadiums is limiting the game.

Build a 40k stadium out in the western suburbs.

Agree 100%

Just because the SCG trust has some very high profile board members doesn't make Moore Park the ideal location for a new stadium. The location in the Eastern Suburbs is a pain for the vast majority of Sydney population to get to, especially on a Friday night.

The teams that would use a rebuilt SFS in the Roosters, SFC and NSW rugby aren't the three most popular sides in Sydney and the current SFS more than caters for them and their levels of crowd.

A new stadium around 40,000 -55,000 should be built at Liverpool. The Bulldogs had the right location years ago when they tired to get the Oasis project going. The Bulldogs, Tigers and Western Sydney Wanderers would use it as their home ground. All three sides vastly more popular than the 3 main tenants of a rebuilt SFS. The Panthers and Eels would play big games at the new stadium in the west as well.

Sydney west has been forgotten for too long and any new stadium should be built near the people not at Moore Park to suit the interest of some high profile people.

Last edited:

Von Neumann

Juniors
Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham don't just have regional fanbases but are massive throughout the southeast, and have a presence nationally and internationally. The Premier League is a beast to it's own but to suggest that Arsenal and Spurs only have support in North London, Chelsea in the west and West Han in the east is silly. All 4 clubs could play out of Wembley and get blockbuster gates.

If those in Cronulla and Manly are not willing to travel 25 minutes to watch their side compete in the world's premier rugby competition then maybe they are not viable at that level. To support a policy of maintaining 6 or 7 20k suburban stadiums is limiting the game.

This is what some on here don't get. I went over a pretty basic concept in my above post - its opportunity cost. In fact we talk about it every day on this site seems, but we don't verify and identify it....and none of the guys APPLY it...and their thinking is WARPED or somehow compromised.

If you're a manly fan and you have the prospect of going to brookvale: its a dump - so your desire level is going to have to override a LOT of things. Attention from other activities, the fact that there's 12 home games, and another 80 rugby league games in the city, off the top of my head there'd be another 10 manly games in the same city. So rough estimate is 22 manly games very close by.

If you explore the opportunity cost of that, it doesn't look very good. Its almost as if - because the stadium is a dump and most in sydney are, and because its a minor hassle to get out of the area, and because they may not be performing well, and because your passion/desire levels have taken a beating, the opportunity cost (which is the value in total of all aspects of something you have to forego to attend a manly game) is in the negative in relation to going to Manly. In effect - you may have to drag yourself out, skip going to the Manly game; maybe you say "hell! theres another 20 manly games round here in the next few months, I'll just wait" -- and you never end up going....or you choose to pursue other activities, or you watch on tv. The opportunity cost as far as Manly is concerned, the benefits you receive by delaying or not going to Manly games is actually well worth it potentially.

____

But major contributing factors would be scarcity (less nrl rounds), better stadium and other things the club can do not related to this discussion. In fact the aim may not be just to get these people to Manly games, but to AT LEAST another rugby league.

Season ticket holders who attend each game have opportunity cost working FOR rugby league....not against it.

___

Fact of the matter is, why should these teams be here in the elite comp if they cannot be elite. I dont buy the whole thing of "we can't abandon the peninsular".....well Manly as a club itself has an opportunity cost --- what IF Manly is holding out Perth entering the competition? Thats a really horrible thought. But its true -- those people will have a great stadium 25 mins away that they can go and watch a team play. They won't all drop what they were doing to support other teams immediately, but the NRL can fill in the gaps with initiatives. So if Manly did not want to improve themselves, I see no reason to let a club like that continue. Thats because if they can't get crowds over 20,000 (just say) on a regular basis, then thats worse, far, far worse, than a perth team who may be able to do that. Not only that, but they have demonstrated they don't want to travel 25 mins to attend football ( and we'd be talking about when the NRL reduces rounds, has a new stadium, and its a few years down the track)....; so whats the point of these people congregating at a club? You might as well ditch the club, and let the fans who still support rugby league go do that.

This is just an example, I am not suggesting we kick out Manly.

I like Juves new stadium. I had suggested something like Allianz in germany before. Very much alike, except allianz in germany has the larger capacity....the NRL/Football codes are looking for 65k seems.

But such a stadium would be a godsend for the sport here. And btw - parramatta would become very similar to Juve.

Agree 100%

Just because the SCG trust has some very high profile board members doesn't make Moore Park the ideal location for a new stadium. The location in the Eastern Suburbs is a pain for the vast majority of Sydney population to get to, especially on a Friday night.

The teams that would use a rebuilt SFS in the Roosters, SFC and NSW rugby aren't the three most popular sides in Sydney and the current SFS more than caters for them and their levels of crowd.

A new stadium around 40,000 -55,000 should be built at Liverpool. The Bulldogs had the right location years ago when they tired to get the Oasis project going. The Bulldogs, Tigers and Western Sydney Wanderers would use it as their home ground. All three sides vastly more popular than the 3 main tenants of a rebuilt SFS. The Panthers and Eels would play big games at the new stadium in the west as well.

Sydney west has been forgotten for too long and any new stadium should be built near the people not at Moore Park to suit the interest of some high profile people.

This is not the plan before the Premier. Not trying to be rude, but I said this earlier, so maybe some people (and there's more than one) need to read and educate themselves.

You guys are seriously living in delay. Get in the moment. Its the new SFS and Parramatta, nothing else bar light rail.

Like I mentioned earlier, that does not mean that other avenues for revenue-raising for stadia won't be found by various parties out there. The proposal is for government stadia only and they have identified parra and SFS. End of.

Better to discuss how you make the best of the current situation than fighting the current and the momentum on a proposal that only requires the Premiers backing pretty much to make it happen. You'll waste a lot less energy.

"Accept" it. Don't deny it.

__

As to transport. Not everyone can be everywhere at once I do agree. The plan involves stadia - not football scheduling.

This is no problem for the people of melbourne, perth, american cities, europeans. Why is it a special consideration for sydney? Oh, the grid lock? How about the fact you're meant to use the train. That will be the new way. There's no cars - just a direct line to the stadia.

How about the fact that there's a lot of lazy bums supporting the sport. Be a part of the solution. They won't be doing 'blackouts' like in the states, and things like that. So it is what it is.

Is it any wonder people are requesting the best of the best stadia - roof, amenities, ball rooms, billion dollar extraveganza's...ect....the oppotunity cost stinks - it'll take something like that to get them out. Grid lock destorys your appetite. People have no desire to go to the rugby league.

Cry me a river some may say, and sure, it does sound so very self entitled and demanding. But hey, when a situation comes along to improve on all that, and take a good hard look at the RL landscape in the city over time, I say take it with open arms.

Everything the AFL has done, and no, sydney's greater distances are not enough to prevent such a thing like positive opportunity cost and desire to attend from emerging over time, owing to their centralised stadia....you'll have 2 stadium precincts for FSake (haha)....everything they have done [where applicable], the NRL is doing. Not because they are copy cats - because its what works.

But what will prevent it, is self serving clubs and people resistant to change. You don't live near a stadium? So what, move. How many people in New York live next to Mets in new jersey? Or yankee stadium!?

You have no idea.

They got behind the SFS, guys - because thats WHAT WILL WORK.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
As much as I'd like my team to have a shiny new stadium, I think any major stadium should be built in the geographical heart of Sydney (or nearby). Western Sydney is going to grow from two million to three million people over the next 20 years and given the strength of rugby league in the region, along with the number of teams it supports, centralising near the CBD makes little sense to me.

Von Neumann

Juniors
As much as I'd like my team to have a shiny new stadium, I think any major stadium should be built in the geographical heart of Sydney (or nearby). Western Sydney is going to grow from two million to three million people over the next 20 years and given the strength of rugby league in the region, along with the number of teams it supports, centralising near the CBD makes little sense to me.

You're not wrong in essence. But this is where the argument falls flat. There's already anz out there and a better parramatta coming online.

There may be other stadiums with other revenue non govt models in the future. Large, highly utilized CBD stadia are pretty much the best located ones going round, across the world. Theres little reason to build one way out of the way of the CBD, with lack of space probably being one of them and continually updated stadia over the years (since the early 1900s for example) being the other....but usually the city builds round them over time. Im sure we could all locate examples of exceptions, but thats the rule. Even for those exceptions, it is still the rule, they just need to get round it. All paths, roads, and business hearts lead to the CBD. Besides this, there's another CBD out there, in the west. Yes. Its not like the one in the east just yet. 20-30 years into the future maybe, but not now. You must think for today in this regard. Its not in existence yet.

The homebush site was chosen in part because it was also a giant empty space. Remember those poor native animals that had to be relocated and possibly were just killed off? Yeah.....it was a BIG empty space.....and the olympics wanted to be centralised and mostly together....quite a great new idea at the time largely in terms of scope, with few pre-existing facilities across the city. This is why it was so very much lauded by everyone world wide in terms of building it. They may have chucked it in the east for all we know if they could have.

Officially amused now by the people on here. Do you ever think?

Ok and the other thing. You won't have cookie cutter teams if they play out of a couple of stadiums. There's too much history in the existing teams. Plus a lot of a teams identity is who they represent not where they play, mostly, and who is in the team. I guess none of you have cottoned onto the fact that your teams will still be playing in the same city

Its laughable to suggest you guys will start mistaking all the teams as the same.

___

Go look up the concepts of Opportunity cost. Fear of Missing out. And things of that nature. Heck, go look up fear itself. False evidence that appears real. Most of the things you guys worry about (and people worry about in general) never actually comes to happen.
The trouble with it all is the RL supporters are so defensive and feel so vulnerable and battered from pillar to post, a hunted species. Its probably time to snap out of it.

There's 2 types in this world, the predator and the prey. There's not much room for things in between. Time to step on a few toes, break a few eggs, and breathe freely. Get better. Not wallow in indecision. Some things you can't change, and some you can. Some things you need to accept and some things you need to deny.

You need to identify the wonderful opportunity this is as a part of the overall plan for the sport. You can change where you live (if you're young, then eventually you will be able to)....so if you're too far from a train line, ect, and that bothers you, do that. You can't change the preferred locations of the stadia. You will work something out that will benefit you and your support of rugby league.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I'm wondering if this could also be a long-game from the NRL to try and force a couple of clubs to relocate.

They know that there are too many teams in Sydney and they know that Moore Park and Parramatta can't be sustainable for a club like the Sharks or Sea Eagles, but are really pushing it as their preferred stadium model.

They won't let clubs play out of suburban ovals forever if the bulk of teams are playing in modern all-seaters.

I'm probably wrong, but the fact that they're seemingly in favour of the government pulling funding from suburban venues makes me wonder.

TheRam

Coach
A 65k stadium is still going to look sht for 95% of club games. Build a 40k roofed stadium to replace sfs, upgrade parra to 35k with decent stand roofs, leave ANZ as is for big games and finals, replace manly, Cronulla and Penrith with new 20k stadiums. Sydney sorted.

This.

Except I would make the 20k stadiums at least 25k.

Manly people will never travel on a regular basis, in big numbers, for a football game over the bridge. People and Administrators need to get that through their heads.

And why would you want them to anyway? Manly provide great theater of being one of the most hated clubs in Australian sport. Having them isolated and playing out of their own territory only adds to that air of privilege that they posses.

The rich arrogant wankers vs the rest of us. Give them a new beautique stadium that they want to go to and allow their fans to feel better about themselves(and the rest of us) and watch how successful they will be.

Manly is an easy fix if done right. Just give them something good, in their back yard and they will come.

big hit!

Bench

Does that mean all London premier league clubs will be moving from their home grounds and into Wembley and the refurbished Olympic Stadium?

No doubt that their long-term participation in the premier league gives them a greater profile, and many supporters of these clubs don't live in the immediate area of the stadium (after all not every borough or county has a premier league club to support), but at the first level all these clubs are community clubs. Under your reasoning, as these clubs have more supporters in Asia than they do in the UK, they may as well build new stadiums there and play out of those venues.

Where they are based is part of each club's fabric. arsenal is associated with Islington for over a century (and they left highbury and moved within the borough to their new facility), west ham is newham (they're leaving the Boleyn and moving to the Olympic stadium within the borough), Tottenham is haringey, chelsea is Kensington and chelsea (despite Stamford bridge located just over the border in Hammersmith and fulham), crystal palace is Croydon, etc. There are a shit load of hoops to jump to get approval to move as west ham found out with leyton orient putting up a challenge to the hammers move as the Olympic stadium is extremely close to the orients home ground even though it's in a different borough, and they're in different divisions.

Homogenise the game further and clubs will definitely fold in Sydney. We'll get to the stage where the names won't mean much and we'll just be calling teams by their monikers. It's already happening to a large extent. Just look at scoreboard graphics during broadcasts. 9 clubs can't all market themselves as trying to offer the same thing. The smaller clubs in Melbourne are already struggling with this approach.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I dont like the ieda of a 65k seater at moore park but i wonder if manly would be tempted into a certain number of games there for a guaranteed healthy return.

a lot of people are not realising that this is moore park precinct is only one of the plans floating about none of which have official aproval and tbh i cannot see the latest one happening. It needs too much money and maintains the same problems we currently have with sydney stadia

Von Neumann

Juniors
I'm wondering if this could also be a long-game from the NRL to try and force a couple of clubs to relocate.

They know that there are too many teams in Sydney and they know that Moore Park and Parramatta can't be sustainable for a club like the Sharks or Sea Eagles, but are really pushing it as their preferred stadium model.

They won't let clubs play out of suburban ovals forever if the bulk of teams are playing in modern all-seaters.

I'm probably wrong, but the fact that they're seemingly in favour of the government pulling funding from suburban venues makes me wonder.

I know you don't mean it but it ends up being a conspiracy theory. There are multiple separate issues through which the NRL are navigating. They are somewhat linked, sure, but they don't fit neatly together in any related fashion.

Its not so much as leaving clubs behind, I would say, as its to propel them forward -- and unrelated, but standing next to that thought, it may be that some clubs (not at the NRLs wishes) fall by the wayside in many years. Its not the order switched around.

When you think of AFL for example - do you think of North Melbourne?

Anyway, that leads into the next guy I will quote

This.

Except I would make the 20k stadiums at least 25k.

will come.

The money is not there for 5-10 individual awesome stadiums. Thats the reality.

You can't possibly tell me that people in sydney want to goto something like St helens new ground, langtree park? Thats a 20k stadium, and its not very big, or very good by world-stadium standards. The manly 25k looks good enough but its a victory of design and art, and still a bit too small. I could see them possibly building it with private money, but its very limited in terms of its really only serving that area; which could be a good thing, but its also very much just for them.

And just look at what they need to do to make that one proposal work. Build high buildings, get things approved by council, laws altered by council, rezoned, and a myriad of other things.

These stadiums take a lot of effort in the planning stage and cost a LOT of money, no matter if they are 25k.

Imagine 20k's sprouting up all over the place. Not only have you spent a shed ton of money, but you've limited your facilities, and revenue generation to 20k, and growth, blah blah.....its shooting yourself in the foot. In the meantime you've wasted 100s of millions of public money at a time when the major stadium in sydney need a good splash of paint.

Just because though the govt is putting money into stadia, does not mean other methods of revenue raising for stadia won't happen. I see Manly as a good thing. I see potentially Penrith as a good thing. Maybe cronulla (similar to manly's own funding model)

But then you must ask yourself, with other clubs being city wide clubs in future (retaining much of their identity) where to for small clubs like manly and cronulla? They are struggling as is. Thats why I asked the other guy if he thinks about the little, tiny, North Melbourne in the AFL when he thinks of AFL?

They need Icons for stadia, and they need big, city wide teams

Left behind? Or being stubborn and refusing to take the walk down progress lane? Conspiracy or natural forces? The NRL would be sitting back watching all this, and doing what they can to help the NRL -- not doing what they can to trash clubs. And at the moment doing what they can to help the NRL, is clearly the larger stadia. You need a spine of facilities in the city. Ones so good, they can potentially service most teams/needs.

There's no reason why in the future all these clubs could not just label themselves Sydney and be done with it.

Every sport bar AFL (who's Melbourne clubs are inner city ones anyway) has city names for teams. Except the NRL clubs. And one of their inner city clubs already calls itself sydney, the roosters. New York Giants/Jets.

Start calling themselves Sydney Roosters, Sydney sharks, South sydney, West(s) Sydney, and be done with it. Penrith would remain, Manly would remain as its an identifiable spicky little peninsular.

(This is just an example of how you can propel growth and jump the fence of your little suburbs -- if that happened 20-50 years ago then maybe we would be sitting here now talking about large individual stadia - but we are not. You got to start somewhere, name change, ideology change; changing where you play your games)

So this is not a conspiracy theory -- this is a case of the govts, the stadia (scg trust ect) and the NRL, and the other codes, a case of all their goals in this area aligning.

And why is being a city wide club a better thing? Well for any brand in a certain area there will only ever be a certain (that percentage varies) amount of people who will relate to that brand - you best those sporting brands as wide as you can. The widest spread are football clubs like Man U and Real Madrid worth 3 and 4 billion dollars overall respectively. Reals' revenue alone could fund the ENTIRE NRL for the year and then some, maybe 2 years. Once one club goes city-wide, big stadium, the others must try and follow. There's no lower league in the NRL to drop down to and lick wounds.

Give us another 60 page essay smurf guts.

It could be that I'm a lot smarter than you, but I think I am just far more informed. If it takes 60 pages then that is the measure of how much misinformation, lies, and self defeating attitudes are present on here. Why come here to spill lies and fairy tales to one another from positions of ignorance?

The needle on the irony meter just got buried.

Does that mean all London premier league clubs will be moving from their home grounds and into Wembley and the refurbished Olympic Stadium?.....

This is a lot of non sequitur's. They are far from community clubs. They maintain that veneer, yes, because they have the recipe right. Go read any report about these clubs - they read like financial statements with all the lingo and trappings of an economists approach. When Man U was taken over, the chairman revealed they had tried the commercial angle of spreading, and was worried. It sounded like 95% of his time was about making money. Like I said, they got the recipe right.

In regards to the teams, there is no erroneous logic in the person you quoted at all. Its simply non nonsensical to put a club like arsenal down in asia. He was talking about something way different.

What he was talking about is the fact that IF cronulla fans won't travel 25 mins, then whats the point.< - As an example.

So what is the point? Im damn sure that Arsenal fans WILL travel to the north of england to watch their side play.

They are dedicated. Cronulla is not. In fact, if they were able to purchase more away tickets they would.

I recently spoke about opportunity cost How long before you get people capable in finance at a club standing round and discussing things before they bring up "opportunity cost"? 10 minutes? 6 months? 1 year?

How long before you get capable people in the NRL talking about this?

How many years does it take an old-world, old-school organisation to talk about this like the former admin pre-2000? And I dont mean 'talk' about it, I mean discuss it seriously and rationally.

Making city wide clubs and having bigger teams playing out of less stadia is NOT homogenising them to the point of destruction. Fallacy. The other - is simply your preference.

Its called getting the recipe right. Sydney is not London. And neither are the finances available to Sydney. The EPL saw steady improvements over 100 years to stadia. Sydney has done nothing. You can't have 'that', when what you have is 'this'. The money is not there. But dont worry, the fewer stadia fallacy you commited is a lie you're telling yourself.

Simply put, none of the concerns you have will happen in isolation. Other things are happening. Its like in some peoples minds they move to the SFS >but!< talk about things as if they were down at Brookvale. Thats just not the case. Other things happen around this. A changed situation in life.

___

Do you think that sydney soccer teams are getting up in arms about this stadium thing? lol. Or Rugby Union? Why league? You're hampered with erroneous thinking.

Last edited:

Von Neumann

Juniors
On another note, man there are some long posts in this thread. Nice to see some passionate conversation but shit it's hard to read.

Its been pretty good. Excellent even from everyone

That's been in my consideration. I guess for mine I'm interested in what people would think about attending a stadium such as that is proposed given they were informed on just what it meant. Not too much will change to the individual.

So would people go to see the bigger games at sfs and parra just like anz. They would not take every single game away from local grounds to start with

Latest posts