What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

undertaker

Coach
:lol::lol: At those saying Melbourne has great public transport. Obviously never lived in the place.

Sydney's problem is there are huge black holes where trains are non existant (eg in the north west). Other than that, train frequencies, reliability, station facilities and the actual trains themselves sh!t all over Melbourne's (and every other Australian city's) train network.

I challenge any Sydneysider to live in Melbourne for a year and see how quick u come running back. You don't know how good you have it up here.

What? Have you lived in Melbourne? It's much easier to get from point A to point B within the Melbourne metropolitan area compared to Sydney. Less delays as well

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:lol::lol: At those saying Melbourne has great public transport. Obviously never lived in the place.

Sydney's problem is there are huge black holes where trains are non existant (eg in the north west). Other than that, train frequencies, reliability, station facilities and the actual trains themselves sh!t all over Melbourne's (and every other Australian city's) train network.

I challenge any Sydneysider to live in Melbourne for a year and see how quick u come running back. You don't know how good you have it up here.

A few Victorians I know have since moved to Sydney. They love it up here its a great city cause of the nice beaches, the harbours and plenty of things to do. Bugger all in Melbourne, its cold, raining and nothing to do.

As for Public Transport, Melbourne has the Myki card which you use on pretty much anything, buses, trams and trains. Id give the Melbournians points for that, however Sydney has since introduced the Opal card which will take us a while to get used to but will definately go well here.

I guess going to grounds in Melbourne is easier to get too using trains/trams. AAMI Park is near a train station, MCG is in between two train stations and Etihad is virtually next to a station.

Its not great though, if you have delays and drunken Victorians trying to abuse you.:lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Melbourne public transport shits all over Sydneys. More people are within 45 minutes of Melbournes CBD than are within 45 minutes of Sydneys CBD. nuff said.

As for stadiums, today shows ANZ is clearly delivering. Everyone that matters in the NRL sees Sydney's long term stadium policy revolving around ANZ.

georgesnmith

Juniors
public transport is good in melbourne because there is hardly any traffic

ive been in the middle of the CBD at 5 pm wondering where all the cars are.

try going on parammatta rd between the citywestlink and M4 any time after 4.30 pm on a weeknight lol

our trains are pretty good though

big hit!

Bench
I cannot fathom how any neutral (Non Sydneysider/Victorian) could ever think Melbourne comes close to Sydney. It is inferior in every way imaginable as far is I am concerned.

Each to their own i guess.

depends where you go. I'd taking the inner suburbs of Melbourne to the wastelands of Western Sydney.

and this is it. western sydney shouldn't even be considered as part of Sydney as a city. a greater metro region? yes. but the same city? no. and this is where Sydney fails the overall test. lump western sydney in the definition of sydney, and melbourne sharks it everyday.

as you say, each to their own. everyone has their likes and dislikes. personally, overweight merkins stuffing their mouths at franchise fast food complexes every 500m on a major road isn't what I'd call a place that is superior.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
depends where you go. I'd taking the inner suburbs of Melbourne to the wastelands of Western Sydney.

and this is it. western sydney shouldn't even be considered as part of Sydney as a city. a greater metro region? yes. but the same city? no. and this is where Sydney fails the overall test. lump western sydney in the definition of sydney, and melbourne sharks it everyday.

as you say, each to their own. everyone has their likes and dislikes. personally, overweight merkins stuffing their mouths at franchise fast food complexes every 500m on a major road isn't what I'd call a place that is superior.

ill take parramatta over inner melbourne any day lol

and seriously inner sydney you have newtown, glebe, surry hills, paddington ...all crap over melbourne

they make a big deal about st kilda, place is a dump

comparable to brighton in sydney

and go to the suburbs in melbourne out near tullamarine, you think you are out in the bush

they best thing they can do is demolish the city and rebuild on the coast and even then it wont have sydney harbour but at least the water is blue

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont know if its been said here, but apparently the Panthers proposal for the new stadium to be built in Penrith was officially rejected last week...

Suitman

Post Whore
ill take parramatta over inner melbourne any day lol

and seriously inner sydney you have newtown, glebe, surry hills, paddington ...all crap over melbourne

they make a big deal about st kilda, place is a dump

comparable to brighton in sydney

and go to the suburbs in melbourne out near tullamarine, you think you are out in the bush

they best thing they can do is demolish the city and rebuild on the coast and even then it wont have sydney harbour but at least the water is blue

Also, Melbourne is the only city in the world who's river runs upside down.

Suity

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
good

was a stupid idea to build it there

Dont be so happy just yet...

From what i can gather, of the 3 frontrunners (Blacktown, Parramatta and Liverpool) the prefered option at this point is the extentions at Parra Stadium.

Dont get me wrong, Parra isnt a bad place to have the second stadium (Id rather Blacktown, but thats personal preference). But the reason it is being looked at favourable is because of how cheap this proposal is.

Rather than building a brand new, high quality stadium, they are looking to go with the patchwork option that will be outdates in 5 years...

Exactly.
If the state govt wants a second tier stadium in western Sydney, an upgrade to Parra is the only viable option.

Suity

Yep, this is what theyre looking at...

Parra would be a good place to build, but they really should pull it down and start again. The current proposed extensions are a bit pathetic...

Last edited:
Dont be so happy just yet...

From what i can gather, of the 3 frontrunners (Blacktown, Parramatta and Liverpool) the prefered option at this point is the extentions at Parra Stadium.

Dont get me wrong, Parra isnt a bad place to have the second stadium (Id rather Blacktown, but thats personal preference). But the reason it is being looked at favourable is because of how cheap this proposal is.

Rather than building a brand new, high quality stadium, they are looking to go with the patchwork option that will be outdates in 5 years...

Yep, this is what theyre looking at...

Parra would be a good place to build, but they really should pull it down and start again. The current proposed extensions are a bit pathetic...

Good luck getting new tenants to play there if that's the way they go.

It will just be parra & the wanderers.

Dogs & tigers will stay at ANZ. Panthers won't play games out of parra.

Suitman

Post Whore
Why is it the only viable option?

Surely a completely new stadium in a neutral location is far more viable.

Well, my view is that it has more to do than just having a new stadium.
Don't forget, we ain't going to get a Suncorp. They are looking at something with a capacity of 30-35000, nothing more.
The thing Parramatta has going for it over other sites is that the related infrastructure is already in place.
It has great transport links, a thriving restaurant and pub scene in place that rocks on game day (important) and is the most central part of the city that is accessible to all western Sydney teams.
Just my opinion.

Suity

bottle

Coach
All the above proposals a waste of valuable money missing the opportunity to invest in the future properly.

Don't forget, we ain't going to get a Suncorp. They are looking at something with a capacity of 30-35000, nothing more.
The thing Parramatta has going for it over other sites is that the related infrastructure is already in place.
It has great transport links, a thriving restaurant and pub scene in place that rocks on game day (important) and is the most central part of the city that is accessible to all western Sydney teams.
Just my opinion.

Suity

The whole point of the stadium is to consolidate venues though.

I don't doubt parra has some things going for it, but ultimately you aren't going to get other teams wanting to play there.

That's the most important factor.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why is it the only viable option?

Surely a completely new stadium in a neutral location is far more viable.
Good luck getting new tenants to play there if that's the way they go.

It will just be parra & the wanderers.

Dogs & tigers will stay at ANZ. Panthers won't play games out of parra.

Yeh, youre totally right...

I personally think Blacktown is the best option. Its the furthest east Panthers could go and still call it a home venue (all 12 games id say), Eels could easily move games there (6 or 8 split with ANZ once Parra stadium is unviable) and Tigers will probably bring a few in aswell (3 or 4 split with ANZ once the suburbs are forgotten).

Plus, with the transport infrastructure for this new airport (Freeways and trainlines), it will easier for families to get from the SW up to Blacktown than it would be getting to the Homebush area...

Just my opinion.

Suity

But i wouldnt be upset if Parra was chosen. It is a great place for a night out and will be the centre of Western Sydney public transport, if this new lightrail network gets the ok.

I just dont want to see them take the easy option and do a halfassed extension to the current stadium.

It should be torn down and done again...

Last edited:

Latest posts