What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

ona2001

Juniors
How far is blacktown from Penrith? They struggle to get fans to a ground near by, will they attract anyone if they have to travel?

A Blacktown stadium, like a Liverpool stadium, IMO will have the same issues as the Olympic Park venues currently have; without any kind of supporting precinct around it, after the honeymoon period it will struggle to draw crowds on a regular basis. The most successful stadiums in Australia are all close to their respective cities' CBDs, within walking distance of established, well-policed entertainment districts where people and their families can relax in a safe environment before and after the game and within easy reach of public transport to all other parts of the city. Parramatta satisfies these criteria much better for the region than either of the above. A light rail link to Parramatta and/or Westmead station would also be a useful addition.

Clubs that are as dependent on their local area support as Penrith, or Cronulla, or Manly, and who won't countenance broadening this by raising their profile elsewhere in Sydney and moving to centralised grounds should be ready to be asked what place they have in a national competition if the NRL administration is competent.

oikee

Juniors
I still say Blacktown is the best bet here....

Close enough to Panthers and Eels now, Tigers probably have support either in the area or willing to head that way, Wanderers have already said theyd be interestedin Blacktown. (Dogs can stay at ANZ)

As for the capacity, they basically need to figure out the minumum capacity at ewhich ANZ stops being shit (probably 40,000ish).

Yes, i was looking at a map not long ago and i have to agree, i think it was Blacktown that looked most likely.
Anyhow, surely someone can work out the best spot, and this is where massive growth into the future is going to be, with a new airport, Parramatta building billions in infrastructure and population, they really need foresight now. Not look back and be disappointed, again, because lets face facts, the big white round Elephant they built for the Olympics is not a rugby or soccer ground, and at 80 thousand is not the right size for gradual growth,.

oikee

Juniors
How far is blacktown from Penrith? They struggle to get fans to a ground near by, will they attract anyone if they have to travel?

I'd say 35k would be sufficient t for the next 30 years. How many games attract a 30k plus crowd in Sydney? Anz could still be used for the handful of 40k plus gams but I'd rather see lock outs every now and again than 60k empty seats every week

Something between aami park and city of Manchester stadium would be perfect.

Interestingly the wa govt stadium taskforce recommended a 35k stadium for Perth

http://www.dsr.wa.gov.au//assets/fi...Stadium and the City Vol 2 Appendices B 2.pdf

If they build a 35 to 40 thousand stadium, they might as well and probably will only do Parra up which wont be good for all the teams out west. That is the problem with not building a purpose built 50 thousand stadium, which will allow for bigger derbies and allow for all teams to grow crowds towards the 50 thousand mark, like Brisbane has done with the Suncorp.

A 35 thousand stadium will just make them do up Parra. That will be another defeat to the code, again.
Our code keeps shooting itself in both feet. We need someone with intelligence to see the future, build some tunnels(stadium(s) now like Newman has done, for the future.

pHyR3

Juniors
Would love a rectangular stadium of around 40k to be built in Sydney.

ANZ for GFs, Easter Games, SOO and any other enormous games like 59k Souths vs Roosters.

LineBall

Juniors
Lately there have been some rumblings about Qatar losing the 2022 World Cup due to corruption. This would put Australia in the box seat to host the event. Wouldn't this be a boon for rugby league as well if this happened? Would that not mean we would see significant upgrades to all the rectangular stadia in Sydney? The only hurdle would be having less time to prepare.

ggmu

Juniors
Lately there have been some rumblings about Qatar losing the 2022 World Cup due to corruption. This would put Australia in the box seat to host the event. Wouldn't this be a boon for rugby league as well if this happened? Would that not mean we would see significant upgrades to all the rectangular stadia in Sydney? The only hurdle would be having less time to prepare.

Don't think it puts us in the box seat. We were the first country out of the voting. The USA will probably murder us in a re vote.

The Australian bid is also being investigated by the way. There was some talk we may have broken a few rules.

But I still wouldn't say we're in the box seat. Remember the US , japan & Korea were also bidding.

Japan was before they won the 2020 Olympics , so that could impact their bid.

But yeah , if we got the World Cup it would be a huge boost for the NRL as well. Aside from the possibility of new stadia we'd likely see upgrades to some suburban grounds as they'd be used for training bases.

Diesel

Referee
I hope we get it for a few different reasons but the SFS and ANZ would have significant upgrades as well as nib, Hindmarsh, Townsville & Canberra which would no doubt upset the so-called powers to be in AFLand

Could this also mean Suncorp could get upgraded to 60k seating?

Don't think it puts us in the box seat. We were the first country out of the voting. The USA will probably murder us in a re vote.

Not necessarily.

It all depends where the main block that supported Qatar go.

The USA only received 3 votes last time. ( first round)

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Lately there have been some rumblings about Qatar losing the 2022 World Cup due to corruption. This would put Australia in the box seat to host the event.

Absolute crap. We got ONE vote. If the FBI are investigating, it would be with a view to holding in the US, if anywhere.

Absolute crap. We got ONE vote. If the FBI are investigating, it would be with a view to holding in the US, if anywhere.

The USA only got 3 votes in the first round.

Many of the votes that were thought to be going our way are the ones being investigated for bribery.

ggmu

Juniors
Not necessarily.

It all depends where the main block that supported Qatar go.

The USA only received 3 votes last time. ( first round)

My bad for some reason I thought the finished second to Qatar lol. But yeah that true who knows who all the Qatar voters would go for. The might all go for us or maybe Korea. Might be an even split lol we won't know unless there is a re vote.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Problem is, the Aus. Government just give the FFA cash and say "do your best with the bid"...

David Gallop could be leading this bid for the FIFA WC, I personally wouldnt be confident.

(Having said that, with Gallop not in charge here i reckon NRL would get a better deal out of the arrangement)

My bad for some reason I thought the finished second to Qatar lol. But yeah that true who knows who all the Qatar voters would go for. The might all go for us or maybe Korea. Might be an even split lol we won't know unless there is a re vote.

They did finish second eventually. But first round they only got 3 votes.

1st round , Aus 1 , USA 3 , japan 3 , Korea 4 , Qatar 11

USA then slowly creeped up as other countries were eliminated.

LineBall

Juniors
They did finish second eventually. But first round they only got 3 votes.

1st round , Aus 1 , USA 3 , japan 3 , Korea 4 , Qatar 11

USA then slowly creeped up as other countries were eliminated.

Wow, first round and we only had one vote. Seems pretty dodgy that Qatar was so far ahead of everybody else from the beginning.

JonnoM

Juniors

Australia's one vote is about as credible as Qatars 14 votes(or whatever they got)

The vote for 2022 was a farce and the one vote that Australia got had nothing to do with the strength of the Australian bid.

JonnoM

Juniors
The Blacktown Stadium from the 2022 Bid
692555-blacktown-stadium.jpg

Build this,upgrade ANZ with Roof/rectangular field,and rebuild the SFS.
It is what Sydney needs

Timbo

Staff member
FIFA may have admitted it was an error but they're a million to one to strip Qatar.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Will never happen, even if Qatar get stripped our bid was by far and away the worst of the lot.

FIFA would have taken one look at our list of stadiums (MCG, Adelaide Oval, Carrara) and laughed their asses off.

We should have done much better with it in the first place.