What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

oikee

Juniors
Hills are unprofessional and help codes go backwards.
Here are 2 issues with hills.
Rain and the cold.
Sydney needs a new stadium for the west, ANZ to be reconfigured and become permanent rectangle ground, and the SFS to be up-graded.

Manly the Warriors and Canberra are the only teams who then need a up-grade.
Abbott should at least leave a mark for Manly, if nothing else.

And Canberra is a embarrassment having a stadium out in the open in a place colder than Siberia,.

Anyhow carry on.
Until this happens we are nothing but a pub-sport.

A hill is a hill no matter what, still a bad look for a professional game. Does rugby league want to be a professional sport with boutique modern stadiums or a pub sport with the poor suburban grounds. If people love the suburban grounds so much they should show up because the attendence at the likes of Brookie, leichhardt, Cronulla, etc show the opposite.

ek999

First Grade
A hill is a hill no matter what, still a bad look for a professional game. Does rugby league want to be a professional sport with boutique modern stadiums or a pub sport with the poor suburban grounds. If people love the suburban grounds so much they should show up because the attendence at the likes of Brookie, leichhardt, Cronulla, etc show the opposite.

I agree, it's time we made this sport look like the professional competition that it is. I think all teams who play out of grounds that have hills should be kicked out of the comp unless they can relocate to another ground near by that is an all-seater.

So I guess that means only the Cowboys. And probably the Knights too

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors

Spot on, and if these people who say they love hills want hills, go and support the NSW or QLD cups.,
They all still have the local suburban grounds.
Redcliffe, Wynnum, Easts, Magpies, Ipswich, and Mackay and Cairns and Rocky, all are old grounds with hills, and plenty of space for them to roll around in the mud down the banks if it is wet.
Kick a footy, eat a pie under a tree, and shout all sorts of obsenities.

Billythekid

First Grade
The day that all hills are gone will be a sad day imo. I love the set up at the knights stadium, plenty of seats for those who want them but still the option to sit on the hills. It looks great on TV when it's packed and it actually has a reasonable size capacity unlike most other grounds with hills. I've got a few crazy costumes planned for games this year which i simply couldn't do if not for the hills.

Some of my fondest memories of going to league games as a kid were running around on the hill playing touch footy with my friends. I understand that the game is becoming more professional and that hills have massive draw backs, namely that crowds are turned off the moment the weather sours. I'm not convinced though that they have absolutely no place in the future of the sport or that they're the reason for crowds struggling.

We have some awful stadiums in the NRL and some of the hills are terrible. This ought to be rectified if we are to continue to improve crowds. However if teams like Manly, dragons, tigers etc had a stadium like what the knights have i wouldn't consider that a bad thing. At this point that seems unlikely and we will be moving away from hills in the near future. Thankfully i live in one of the few areas where hopefully hills will be around for a while longer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Come on 8k at cronulla tonight. Clearly suburban grounds with hills are what RL fans are crying out for!

beave

Coach
http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/n...lles-new-stadium/story-fniabn55-1227261806081

THE NRL would consider multi-million investment in Townsville’s proposed new CBD sports stadium and possibly taking up the stadium management rights.

The Palaszczuk State Government’s commitment of $100 million, $50 million less than the LNP’s election promise had been, has recast discussions about the funding model and facilities in a new Townsville stadium.

The size of investment from the NRL, whose Cowboys would be the major drawcard, and other private companies could ultimately decide the capacity of the stadium and whether the precinct will serves other sports.

The AFL contributed $12 million towards the construction in 2011 of the Gold Coast’s Metricon Stadium during the term of the Bligh Government and received in return stadium management rights.

In turn, the Suns received from the AFL those management rights for a 10-year term, during which time the club earns income from concessions on game nights but is also exposed to any losses derived from those rights.

On February 3, three days after the state election, a Labor statement said its $100 million commitment to the stadium remained and would “not change’’.

“The NRL is working with all tiers of Government to deliver a new Townsville Stadium as the first stage of a broader sports and entertainment precinct,’’ an NRL spokesman told The Courier-Mail.

“We are working with Townsville Council and the Australian Government to explore funding options that will build on the initial $100 million contribution from the Queensland Government.

“The NRL has not been approached by the Queensland Government about making a contribution to the capital costs of the stadium or about management of the stadium.

“We will ultimately discuss all funding options, including management rights, with the Queensland Government at an appropriate time.

“We believe the greatest contribution we can make is guaranteeing ongoing content, which will have a far greater value in the long term.’’

The NRL believes the stadium must have a rectangular field and 25,000 seats, with the capacity to expand to 30,000 in future.

“The State Government is keen to see the project go ahead, which is really good,’’ Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said.

“They’ve pledged support pretty much to Townsville as a city and the entertainment centre and stadium as a project.

“We won’t know (the size of any required private investment) until we get to the design phase and we know what the costings are and what funding the levels of government are willing to put in. We have the support of the NRL, so I am confident it will get there.

“We have to work through hopefully a design stage fairly soon and get it properly costed, go through from there in how we get it funded.

“The ideal situation is to get it (operational) by 2020. But we are six to 12 months behind that timetable now.’’

Proponents of the CBD stadium, including the Cowboys, say it would help the city’s entertainment businesses with 12 NRL home games, plus any additional events such as rock concerts.

Metricon Stadium has only AFL matches planned for 2015, but earned additional income from a Big Day Out concert staged in 2014 and a 2011 International Rules match.

oikee

Juniors
This is a great opportunity for the NRL to invest in management rights.
Townsville is the perfect stadium to invest. They have zero opposition and can corner the market.
Perfect.
The next investment from the NRL has to be NZ Auckland.

Sydney stadiums are just woeful. 700 million investment is way too little.
To think that Perth is getting a 1 billion stadium, trying to upgrade 3 Sydney stadiums, plus Manly, is like building the biggest band-aid the world has ever seen.

YES GENTLEMEN, PERTH A 1 BILLION STADIUM FOR THE PUNCHBALL CODE.

WHILE SYDNEY OUR HEARTLAND CAN ONLY MANAGE 700 MILLION TO BAND-AID OUR HEARTLAND.

oikee

Juniors
Bathurst today, Oldschool, hills, and a beautiful day.

These are the hills we should be supporting, not hills in a modern city like Sydney.

Wilson1

Juniors
Come on 8k at cronulla tonight. Clearly suburban grounds with hills are what RL fans are crying out for!

They wouldn't get any more anywhere else in Sydney or if the ground didn't have a hill. The question is is it worth spending the millions of dollars to get rid of a hill if a team is only getting 8,000 anyway?

bottle

Coach
No no no, had they played at at ANZ with all of those superior facilities and train line and stuff they would have got maybe 40-50K for sure. It's more centrally located for the plethora of Sharks fans that live near Homebush.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Management rights at the T'ville stadium might be pretty handy if the stadium is still being paired with a convention centre for the Crocs and concerts. Might even be able to entice an A-League team back there at some stage. Be interesting to see how this turns out.

No no no, had they played at at ANZ with all of those superior facilities and train line and stuff they would have got maybe 40-50K for sure. It's more centrally located for the plethora of Sharks fans that live near Homebush.

What do you think will happen to the Sharks in ~fifteen years time when they're still plugging away with 10-15K crowds at a dilapidated Shark Park? Sarcasm won't help them when the NRL decides to drop them back down like the Bears and Newtown.

thorson1987

Coach
Management rights at the T'ville stadium might be pretty handy if the stadium is still being paired with a convention centre for the Crocs and concerts. Might even be able to entice an A-League team back there at some stage. Be interesting to see how this turns out.

What do you think will happen to the Sharks in ~fifteen years time when they're still plugging away with 10-15K crowds at a dilapidated Shark Park? Sarcasm won't help them when the NRL decides to drop them back down like the Bears and Newtown.

Don't think the Crocs will be around for much longer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/townsville-crocodiles-follow-hawks-into-administration/6297492

Townsville Crocodiles become second NBL in two weeks to go into administration

The Townsville Crocodiles have become the second NBL club to go into voluntary administration in less than two weeks.

The Townsville Bulletin reported that the club's future is in serious doubt after the board of directors at the franchise appointed an administrator on Tuesday.

It comes after the Townsville Crocodiles Basketball Club Ltd suffered significant losses in the 2013/14 financial year and follows hard on the heels of the Wollongong Hawks going into administration earlier in the month.

"This has been a truly devastating decision for the board to make. However, it does not spell the end for the Crocodiles," Crocodiles chairman Darren Finlay said.

"This is a necessary and important step in the process of rebuilding the Crocodiles for the future and provides some breathing space whilst the NBL finalises its plans for the 2015/16 season."

Previous Crocodiles owners Barrier Reef Basketball handed in their licence to the NBL in 2013.

The NBL has struggled in the past decade, losing at various stages teams from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Singapore and Gold Coast.

bottle

Coach

Don't care. I have enough to worry about with my own mob. I'll Let Sharks fans worry about theirs.
The point remains that moving their games wouldn't grow their crowds.

Diesel

Referee
Shark Park last night looked second rate compared to so many other grounds. Even on the tv last night they made the point about all the crowd leaving to get out of the rain. While clubs move to play out of these new state of the art stadiums the Sharks could get left behind, unless there is an major upgrade to the stands during the development??

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd be surprised if there is 8k seats at shark park that keep you dry in the rain. Given we are a winter game, majority of games are now played at night and winters seem to be getting wetter these types of grounds will continue to struggle to get crowds up. Problem is there is no answer. They can't move as their appeal city wide is low so a centralised stadium won't work, they can't rebuild as they don't have the money, they can't afford to stay as is. Who knows what they'll do in years to come?

oikee

Juniors
I dont think rugby league in queensland will be around much longer if they dont start growing the code.

We have the titians on life support, we have the cows being beaten up by origin teams like the roosters, and we have the broncos who have been left to wither and carry the load now for 8 years without looking like recovering from pub-team status.

The NRL is only 3 teams away from being a Sydney comp.
Storm Warriors and Broncos.
Once it becomes a sydney comp the game is over.

Latest posts