What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Capacity crowd = crowd figure of 17,900 or whatever it was... If that's all it can hold (even if certain people don't turn up), surely it should be moved elsewhere, where it can freely exceed that total. Do you honestly think ticket sales would've capped at 18k on Tuesday if it were at the SFS?

Teddyboy, I'm talk about next week in respect to last night's game, keep up.

Timmah

Staff member
Well it's our prerogative to play it where we want as we've earnt it.

We could play it at Arncliffe Scots' Cahill Park if we want, that'd be some 2 Fingers to the NRL and opposition fans...
I agree, and if you'd have read my posts in this thread this morning you'd know that. The NRL have dropped the ball in this regard. The match is worthy of a larger crowd at a larger venue. I've long argued that all semi final footy should be at the SFS until the final two weeks, then up it to ANZ.

j0nesy

Bench
18?

It was 17,974 or thereabouts from memory. Given it was sold out and I've had umpteen Dragons fans insisting the capacity is close to 20k through the week, it's a disgraceful crowd for a supposedly "sold out" game. There were rows of empty seats in the NW terrace... I mean, come on.

My partner has been howling me down all week about the proposal to move next Sunday's game and only after last night did she agree with me - it should go to the SFS. As a Red V member she can only purchase TWO tickets with her membership - how is that fair?

The question is if Kogarah was sold out why did only 17,900 ish turn up? Can only be one of three things:
1. Someone stuffed up;
2. Crowd figures were wrong; or
3. 2,100 fans who had tickets didn't show.

j0nesy

Bench
I thought 21,000 was capacity ? No way last nights game was a sell out.

Is it 21? I thought it was 20. Either way it doesn't matter. There is no way that more than 10% fans, who supposedly bought tickets, would not turn up to such an important game. So I agree it could not have been a sell out. Wonder whether we'll see a correction from the Telecrap?

seanoff

Juniors
So let me guess this straight.......

People are still complaining that it should be moved to the SFS, yet last night Kogarah couldn't be filled ?

Where were all these Parramatta fans they were gonna fill 50% of the SFS ?

I don't know, maybe the Parra fans thought that going may have been a total waste of time given the the ground only holds 10 people. if you don't have a pre-booked ticket just rocking up to a ground exepcted to be near capacity is probably not worth it.

whereas if you put it on at a ground with excess capacity, people will be more inclined to turn up.

St George would probably also benefit because the bandwagoners who turn up might actually be converted to members.. run a promotion on the night. be a litte proactive about it. if you do what you've always done you'll get what you always got.

the thing with AFL crowds in Melb is that they get lots of theatre goers who turn up if it's expected to be a good game. can't happen in a place with no capacity.

Timmah

Staff member
Is it 21? I thought it was 20. Either way it doesn't matter. There is no way that more than 10% fans, who supposedly bought tickets, would not turn up to such an important game. So I agree it could not have been a sell out. Wonder whether we'll see a correction from the Telecrap?
Telecrap? You can blame the Tele for a lot of sh*t but how the f**k are they responsible for the crowd figure? You know, the one reported AT THE GROUND and on TELEVISION during the game?

Seriously :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah it's something like 22k I thought. I'm hoping there is only one answer from the Dragons...
Hasn't been 22k for a long long time. Was 21k at the start of the year, but was revised down to 20k. The biggest crowds this year were 20.8k for Sharks, 18.7k for Dogs, and last night's 17.9k for Eels.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Okay so 20 is the capacity. You say 18,000 doesn't cut it for finals, so you want it moved to a bigger stadium. I just don't get your reasoning Tim.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Capacity crowd = crowd figure of 17,900 or whatever it was... If that's all it can hold (even if certain people don't turn up), surely it should be moved elsewhere, where it can freely exceed that total. Do you honestly think ticket sales would've capped at 18k on Tuesday if it were at the SFS?

Teddyboy, I'm talk about next week in respect to last night's game, keep up.

The size of the crowd is irrelevant.

The crowd size will be based on where WE decide to play the game and no amount of whinging from no-mark supporters of teams not involved in the match will change that.

The game needs to be played at a venue that maximises the home ground advantage of St George. End Of.

Timmah

Staff member
20 is the stated capacity, but obviously the smallness of the ground is a turnoff if up to 1.5/2k stayed away from the game... no such problems at a venue like the SFS. I see what you're getting at and on a technicality it seems contradictory yes, but you get my point.

STG-MACCA

Bench
As a Red V member she can only purchase TWO tickets with her membership - how is that fair?

Depends how big her ass is? :lol:

Seriously, that is a stupid statement, how many seats does she get with her one red V ticket all season?

Why the need for two now?

Garts

Bench
The rules allow for the top 4 to host the final at their home ground. It is irrelevant if that teams home ground capacity is 18k, thats where the game should be played. Simple as that.

Timmah

Staff member
The size of the crowd is irrelevant.

The crowd size will be based on where WE decide to play the game and no amount of whinging from no-mark supporters of teams not involved in the match will change that.

The game needs to be played at a venue that maximises the home ground advantage of St George. End Of.
Your selective reading is quite funny. I don't disagree with what you're saying. I would argue that the NRL has erred in allowing club home ground finals in week one. I acknowledge they aren't played at generic larger grounds, but I believe they should be. I've said it before I respect Saints' decision if they decide to leave it at Kogarah but I believe the best result for all involved is the SFS.

Either way, you're looking at a near-full stadium.

STG-MACCA

Bench
If the NRL change the rule, it's only going to be for Sydney teams, and that's is an unfair advantage to those out of Sydney.

Why can they play a city Vs country match at a regional location such as Wollongong, but when push comes to shove, Wollongong is not a regional location for St.George?

Timmah

Staff member
Depends how big her ass is? :lol:

Seriously, that is a stupid statement, how many seats does she get with her one red V ticket all season?

Why the need for two now?
Did you read my whole post? Dickhead. She wants to take me and her mum. Might even wanna take her dad too, she has SFA chance of doing that because it's at a tiny ground with ridiculous ticket restrictions.

STG-MACCA

Bench
I am a member, and I'd like to take the family too, but they couldn't be bothered making the home and away season so they miss out if it sells out before the general public release that is.

I'm not even assured a ticket, but I would rather it be at Kogarah and I miss out then any move away from HOME.

Atleast I was at the game where MY team was a chance of winning a minor premiership and they did, and I don't need to resort to calling you names to make my point.

gregstar

Referee
well f*ck!

the game should be moved to the mcg just as origins are. can't argue against those crowds & income.

the nrl administrators are pathetic.

Timmah

Staff member
I am a member, and I'd like to take the family too, but they couldn't be bothered making the home and away season so they miss out if it sells out before the general public release that is.

I'm not even assured a ticket, but I would rather it be at Kogarah and I miss out then any move away from HOME.

Atleast I was at the game where MY team was a chance of winning a minor premiership and they did, and I don't need to resort to calling you names to make my point.
:lol: calling me names? At least I kept it to YOU, not your girlfriend or significant other...