What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day vs Bronco

Quigs

Immortal
Yep we were outclassed and deserved to miss out on the two competition points.

But I tell you when the footy gods don't want the bounce of the ball to go your way well it f**ks things up.

Nichos kick to the corner for Ronnie, if the bounce was half good he scores. What happens the fhurhucker bounces straight back behind him. Next minute the donks swing it wide and a bullet shit pass hits the deck only to bounce straight up into Oates bloody chest.

It happened twice for the lanky bastard.

No excuses, but geeze that gives me the shits when the bounce just goes one way in games.

Quigs

Immortal
Shit it is going to be a long hard week for moi. Bloody Origin and now the far-can Donks beating us.

The mongrels will be lining up.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Driving home thinking about Ronny and I have worked out he has zero safe mindset ability.

He wants to score on every play including that little chip over for Brisbane try, knock it dead or do whatever you have to to stop points and forget about scoring all the time.

All I'll say is that @tom of poland dropped into Shark Island before the game for a beer and a feed, and asked me Mt thoughts on tonight.
I said "the Broncos will win, I have that feeling"
Of course I didn't change my tip. Still near the bottom end.
The Broncos were very good.
I whole heartedly endorse the Brewery's refreshments and the BBQ Beef brisket Burger. Thanks BBB.

Impressions from the game were that the whole team were worried about the opposition from the word go and this was impacting on decision making, right from the mad Moylan grubber kick that gave them try #1. We never looked likely to score from close range, bad decisions, pointless kicks, you all saw it. The Broncos dropped a fair amount of ball in the second half, but we offered very little when they gave us those chances.

Anyway I am going to commiserate by heading down to Cronulla Park tomorrow arvo to see Spurs For Jesus and Martin Cilla play some surf instrumental stuff, as part of the Cronulla Blues and Jazz festival. Might pay a return visit to the Brewery too.

Moylan and Dale are pretty much finished...Forward pack has absolutely no mungrel in it.

On top of that we play umedicated ADHD football and live and die by it.

6-8 at best by beating the rubbish teams sneaking the occasional unexpected win here and there.
Moylan is a middle level player, looks great against the mediocre sides like Manly, Newcastle and the current Roosters.

I wish Dale joined us 5 years earlier.

Someone commented on Walsh, he's young, healthy and has an undamaged body, plus he knows how to play and probably got heaps of confidence after being part of a winning Qld team.

Chimp

Bench
Strange old game - on another day, we win by about 18.
We burned so many good opportunities, and they scored a few freakish lucky tries.
That being said, we have some serious passengers in the team unfortunately, and whilst we have ZERO explosive pace.
Our whole team looked flat at the start of the game, and we looked sluggish throughout. As others have alluded to, maybe that’s because the backs are having to do too much donkey work, given our lack of explosiveness in the pack.
Not blaming these players for the loss, but a few individuals where we’ve got a problem;
Dale - unfortunately has turned into a plodder. Zero impact with ball, losing collisions and therefore giving away crap penalties in defence.
Wade - Literally offers nothing. Any nuffie could come on and do what he does
Moyza - Love it when he’s aggressive in defence, and shows moments of slickness, but overall, meh….
Brailey - is getting better, but jeez I wish he’d make himself more of a threat. I can’t ever remember him once trying to scoot over for a try from dummy half on the opponents line - he is literally no threat, so takes no flies away from our plodder who’s taking the inevitable hit up straight off the ruck to try and barge over.

- Tracey to 14, Wade out
- McInnes to 13, Dale out
- Blake to sit and watch hours of Api videos
- Trindall in, Moyza out

I’m also worried my man crush on Ronnie is under some serious pressure, he ain’t doing it for me at the moment, at all!

Frailty

First Grade
Strange old game - on another day, we win by about 18.
We burned so many good opportunities, and they scored a few freakish lucky tries.
That being said, we have some serious passengers in the team unfortunately, and whilst we have ZERO explosive pace.
Our whole team looked flat at the start of the game, and we looked sluggish throughout. As others have alluded to, maybe that’s because the backs are having to do too much donkey work, given our lack of explosiveness in the pack.
Not blaming these players for the loss, but a few individuals where we’ve got a problem;
Dale - unfortunately has turned into a plodder. Zero impact with ball, losing collisions and therefore giving away crap penalties in defence.
Wade - Literally offers nothing. Any nuffie could come on and do what he does
Moyza - Love it when he’s aggressive in defence, and shows moments of slickness, but overall, meh….
Brailey - is getting better, but jeez I wish he’d make himself more of a threat. I can’t ever remember him once trying to scoot over for a try from dummy half on the opponents line - he is literally no threat, so takes no flies away from our plodder who’s taking the inevitable hit up straight off the ruck to try and barge over.

- Tracey to 14, Wade out
- McInnes to 13, Dale out
- Blake to sit and watch hours of Api videos
- Trindall in, Moyza out

I’m also worried my man crush on Ronnie is under some serious pressure, he ain’t doing it for me at the moment, at all!
I wish Brailey would do more, but it’s hard when, as you mentioned, the forwards aren’t winning contests, etc.

It’s interesting you identify Api - the Tigers pack is extremely underrated and have been dominating the middle of the field for most of the season.

Chimp

Bench
I wish Brailey would do more, but it’s hard when, as you mentioned, the forwards aren’t winning contests, etc.

It’s interesting you identify Api - the Tigers pack is extremely underrated and have been dominating the middle of the field for most of the season.
Hooker and halves HAVE to be a running threat first and foremost, otherwise the defence can just move onto their support runners without fear. Brailey needs to have the odd crack at diving over from dummy half, if nothing else to just hold the markers up for half a second whilst they check that he isn’t scooting.
There was a point in the 2nd half today where we got a relatively quick ptb about 4 meters from their try line, Brailey scooped up the ball and there was only 1 marker and a huge gap between the marker and the A defender, yet Brailey didn’t even look up to take note, just shovelled it out as per…. He’s got to play eyes up, he’s got to be a threat near the line; whether a scoot, a kick for himself, a little bit of craft… that’s why he needs to watch Api - Api is always a threat, always…. Brailey is never a threat.

txta2

Bench
It will be same team and shit show next week. Fitz is stuck with this roster for now and will be lucky to save them falling out of the top 4 let alone the 8 because they are not anywhere near a top side

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As for Brailey, he tackles so much, he has lost his kicking game, rarely runs as he no energy left. This is purely on our middles who fail him.

When Trindall gets picked next year he will get better. He and Will play better with Tricky

But whilst out fowards refuse to protect him he knows to find Nicho.

Imagine relying on Jack to help, he will be there next week, mistake assured.

fizman

Bench
This current team has a “Newtown Jets” culture implemented into its DNA - beautiful flashy footy against weaker opponents, but can’t knuckle down with discipline against the top teams.

It bothers me tremendously that we are able to execute reverse flick passes, but can’t get the basic catch and pass correct.

Coach Fitzgibbon has been a wonderful addition in terms of hard work, high standards, moral ethics and Club respect, but, my view on his ability to take this team to a Premiership level is now being questioned.

At the very least, his desire to lock in the current squad is debatable.

As I and others have stated, the forwards are nowhere near the mark. I am still confident we can push for a Top 4 position through the depth of the squad.

I am also just as equally confident we would go out in straight sets. I can see similarities to the Johnny Lang era - a stable happy team that can’t take the step up to win the competition.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
This current team has a “Newtown Jets” culture implemented into its DNA - beautiful flashy footy against weaker opponents, but can’t knuckle down with discipline against the top teams.

It bothers me tremendously that we are able to execute reverse flick passes, but can’t get the basic catch and pass correct.

Coach Fitzgibbon has been a wonderful addition in terms of hard work, high standards, moral ethics and Club respect, but, my view on his ability to take this team to a Premiership level is now being questioned.

At the very least, his desire to lock in the current squad is debatable.

As I and others have stated, the forwards are nowhere near the mark. I am still confident we can push for a Top 4 position through the depth of the squad.

I am also just as equally confident we would go out in straight sets. I can see similarities to the Johnny Lang era - a stable happy team that can’t take the step up to win the competition.
I do agree, but point out that Newtown team won the competition and then beat the Qlders. I like that DNA.

We added Nicho, great call there Fitz. Time to clear out the deadwood. I do think we miss Rudolf, he is not the most brilliant player, but raises the energy and commitment to all around him.

Weaponhead

Coach
That game was frustrating in its predictability. Big opportunity to make a statement at home against a rival with a number of players backing up from origin. This team just doesn't seem to have the next gear required consistently enough against good sides.

Wasteful with the football, bombing too many chances through lack of patience. Forwards not able to get parity. Conceding weird tries.

The focus and ruthlessness needed to win big games against quality opposition is not there yet. They have talent but are not well drilled enough to defend themselves to a win.

At this point in their development, they are fun to watch against ordinary sides but haven't taken the next step.

Personnel wise, there doesn't seem to be much room to move. Personally, I think it's time to act on Moylan. He doesn't deliver in big games. Desperately need a top tier middle to lead the pack. Hard to see anyone of note coming.

The bottom line for supporters is that progression is rarely linear. They have gone from fringe 8 to fringe top 4 in the past 18 months. Going from fringe top 4 to contender is going to be harder.

Latest posts