What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Stallion

First Grade

And an extremely poor thinking rugby league administration. The Lions should have been playing the Kangaroos once at least in NSW during their southern hemisphere tour. A totally embarassing mistake from all concerned with this not happening.

roughyedspud

Coach
image.jpg

I actually like it tbh

adamkungl

Immortal
Are Ireland involved in this?
I note they arent calling it "Great Britain and Irish Lions" in recent stories

jim_57

Staff member
What's up with the missing GB&I crest on the chest?

Shhh.. don't worry about Ireland. They're just a little too inconvenient to fit in to any of the branding or marketing.. But if they have another Brian Carney laying around Great Britain* will take them.

* "& Ireland" removed because it made the sentence too inconvenient.

jim_57

Staff member
It’s not being called Great Britain and Ireland and it has a union flag on the back so it appears Ireland have no part in it.

They had a quote from the RLI chairman when they officially announced the tour. Since then though there hasn't been any mention of Ireland at all so hopefully they aren't involved.

adamkungl

Immortal
It’s not being called Great Britain and Ireland and it has a union flag on the back so it appears Ireland have no part in it.

I could have sworn Ireland were originally going to be involved. Maybe they've told the RFL to sod off so they can keep their players for World Cup Qualifiers which actually matter.

Oh the irony if Scotland have their best sitting on the bench for GBL and get knocked off by f**king Russia or something

Pommy

Coach
They had a quote from the RLI chairman when they officially announced the tour. Since then though there hasn't been any mention of Ireland at all so hopefully they aren't involved.

There’s a better chance of having an Australian in Blake Austin in the team than any native from the other home countries.

Pommy

Coach
I could have sworn Ireland were originally going to be involved. Maybe they've told the RFL to sod off so they can keep their players for World Cup Qualifiers which actually matter.

Oh the irony if Scotland have their best sitting on the bench for GBL and get knocked off by f**king Russia or something

I think they were but somewhere down the line it’s obviously changed.
We now have the situation where nobody knows what this team is supposed to represent?
Is it the British isles and a danish designer has added the Union Jack not knowing the difference and the RFL have approved it. This whilst none of the recent media announcements have mentioned Ireland and they excluded the crest.
Is it the island of Great Britain if that’s the case the RFL haven’t done themselves any favours in getting unionists in NI in to the sport.
Or is it the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
Only rugby league could have a rep team that nobody knows who it’s repping.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think they were but somewhere down the line it’s obviously changed.
We now have the situation where nobody knows what this team is supposed to represent?
Is it the British isles and a danish designer has added the Union Jack not knowing the difference and the RFL have approved it. This whilst none of the recent media announcements have mentioned Ireland and they excluded the crest.
Is it the island of Great Britain if that’s the case the RFL haven’t done themselves any favours in getting unionists in NI in to the sport.
Or is it the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
Only rugby league could have a rep team that nobody knows who it’s repping.

The England in Different Shirts Lions
The Good Old Days of Rugby League Lions
The British Anti Toronto Anti Expansion Lions

Pommy

Coach
The England in Different Shirts Lions
The Good Old Days of Rugby League Lions
The British Anti Toronto Anti Expansion Lions

I won’t lie I have bought the shirt because I’m a bit of a shirt nerd but I would have much preferred an England tour to this.

adamkungl

Immortal
I won’t lie I have bought the shirt because I’m a bit of a shirt nerd but I would have much preferred an England tour to this.

I'm past the point where I'm still bitching about what could/should have been.
If this is what they are doing, and they will back it and put in a long term plan, I'm more than happy to get behind it.

But it is frustrating and confusing that we still don't know basic details like who this rep team reps.