What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

jim_57

Staff member
There’s a better chance of having an Australian in Blake Austin in the team than any native from the other home countries.

Exactly, so why not just play as England?

Edit: don't worry, I replied before I read the rest of the thread.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Is the long term goal of this to abolish England as a Rep team and replace it with Great Britain? If not, I'm not entirely sure what the point of the Lions is if it's just going to be England in a new uniform. It's like Mighty Ducks 2.

roughyedspud

Coach
I suppose my follow up is, is there a point to this beyond selling a new jersey?

To sell jerseys and so nostalgic old farts can get to go "on tour down under" ignoring the the fact that England have been "on tour down under" for world cups and 4 nations 4 times in 10 years

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/bbc-to-broadcast-great-britain-tour/

BBC will televise Great Britain’s tour of the southern hemisphere this autumn.

The Lions will play four matches on consecutive Saturdays from October 26 to November 16 – two against New Zealand, and one each against Tonga and Papua New Guinea.

All four Tests will be shown live on the BBC, with extended highlights later in the day.

Rugby Football League chief commercial officer, Mark Foster, said: “It’s great to be able to announce that the return of Great Britain will be shown live to the nation by the BBC, especially on Challenge Cup final day.

“There has been such a positive reaction from players and fans since the details of the 2019 Rugby League Lions tour were confirmed – and even more since the new Great Britain jersey was launched.

“So many of the iconic memories of the past, whether Great Britain winning in Sydney in 1988, or famous wins against Australia at Wembley in 1990 and 1994, were shown by the BBC.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like to see tours branded as GB lions and tournaments as England. Hopefully we will one day raid rugby union ranks again and find some more Jonathan Davies, scott quinnels and George fairburns to Bring some home nations flavour to the lions.

deluded pom?

Coach
I like to see tours branded as GB lions and tournaments as England. Hopefully we will one day raid rugby union ranks again and find some more Jonathan Davies, scott quinnels and George fairburns to Bring some home nations flavour to the lions.
Scott Quinnell never played for GB.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
We could always try and develop our own RL talent in wales, Scotland and Ireland but even then I personally wouldn’t want to see a return to the GB lions as I believe it’s a relic that should remain in the past.

roughyedspud

Coach
GB train on squad announced,featuring just SL players...and as expected..29 born and bred Englishmen and 2 Aussie's

Lol