What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Loudstrat

Coach
Not under a first to four system. Give away a penalty in front of the sticks once to prevent a try, two points. Give away a second penalty in front of the sticks, two more points - game over. First to four addresses both the problem of a single refs decision deciding the game (and discouraging refs from giving penalties) and the potential problem with Golden Try of penalties not being any disincentive because you could only lose with a try. A try is effectively golden but all forms of scoring still count and can add up to a win or loss. Give away enough penalties and you'll lose - just like in the previous 80 mins.

Leigh.

Why not make the whole game like Table tennis - first to 21 with a two point advantage? :roll:

Still like my idea - simply dont blow fulltime unless you get a result.

I haven’t read the whole thread, but if say we went back to a draw wouldn’t the last 10 mins of a game become the same as what Golden Point is now with refs putting there whistle in there pockets?

Sleep

Juniors
Draw in the regular season after eighty. In the finals it's ten minutes each way and whoever has the most points at the end wins. No golden point or try.

The NFL format is good too but I don't think that would work in the NRL.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Draw in the regular season after eighty. In the finals it's ten minutes each way and whoever has the most points at the end wins. No golden point or try. .

This :thumn

Hope the OP is true. Hate Golden Point. I was at the Broncos v Dragons final last year and even though I hate the Dragons I even felt sorry for them.

I'd hate to see any team lose the Grand Final in the first minute of Golden Point. Even the cheating Storm.

Extra time would be ok but if it ends in a draw then thats the result.

Id settle with 80min draw as well.

I dont like the Golden try , I dont see why you would limit your scoring choices in one part of the game but you could score anyway in the other 80min.

Also the FG shoot out usually starts after the 70min mark anyway.

Hutty1986

Immortal
This :thumn

Hope the OP is true. Hate Golden Point. I was at the Broncos v Dragons final last year and even though I hate the Dragons I even felt sorry for them.

I'd hate to see any team lose the Grand Final in the first minute of Golden Point. Even the cheating Storm.

That game should never, ever have been decided by a field goal. Excellent argument when suppporting scrapping the concept-that was an epic game & a f*cked way to go out

Moz 1982

Juniors
Some people here are not getting that you can still win with a field goal/penalty goal in golden try extra-time.

Score a try - you win, game ends immediately
Kick a field goal - field goal counts but you continue playing for the 10 minute extra time period.
Kick a penalty goal - same as field goal.

For the finals/grand final we could go another 2nd 10 minute period if still drawn after initial 10 minutes of overtime before moving into golden point after that.

This is the way it should be.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I dont like the Golden try , I dont see why you would limit your scoring choices in one part of the game but you could score anyway in the other 80min.

But you aren't limiting the choices, as you will find teams will still go for a field goal, it just means they can't win straight away.

Ultimately you want teams to throw the ball around during the extra time period, and if a team did score a field goal, it's more likely the game will really open up as the other team starts to really have a go with the ball.

I don't mind the extra time, and really we have to take some examples from the NFL who themselves changed how extra time works. Now they have for finals games that if you kick a field goal, the other team gets one chance to equalise. Score a touchdown and you win immediately. I don't think that's quite right for our game (one chance to equalise), but golden try seems to tick a lot more boxes, and ensures that the result is making the game more exciting during that period.

some11

Referee
This is what I want to see from teams at the death

[youtube]mfwdYbMYdnc[/youtube]

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Good idea siv - that's pretty much the way it used to be.

But if the code's suits reckon extra time should be given to decide an outcome, how about this for an idea.

Just dont blow fulltime!

In a close game, the last 5 mins sees the team which is behind throw the ball around like crazy to try and jag a try - or if the scores are level then both teams will. As soon as fulltime is blown and golden point comes in, the next set of 6 suddenly isnt about scoring - its about field position. And by having a kickoff, teams get a chance to regroup and implement a new game plan. The panic and instinct of the previous 5 minutes is gone.

The stupid thing about field goals is that the forwards suddenly go one out again. What happened to the concept of small, fast players capitalising on the tiredness of forwards to create breaks? It gets forgotten. Seeing a talent like Carney facing a tired pack NOT running the ball is idiotic.

What if this happens? At the 80 minute mark of a drawn game the hooter is NOT blown until a break in play - be it a turnover, scrum or penalty. When that happens, a short blast of the siren alerts the referee, who then tells the captains that it's now first to score. Then the game resumes with the turnover, scrum, goal line drop or penalty as normal? No time wasting, no kickoff, no player meetings, no coin toss or changing sides. Just play on. Then, after 10 minutes with no result, shake hands and go home.

And dont call it "golden point" - I reckon that name is as much to blame for the field goal a thons by emphasising the need for only a point to win.

I reckon players wont have as much time to change their thinking from "must score a try" to "Must kick a field goal". And the first set of extra time won't be all about field position either.

The other option I was thinking about if drawn at end of 10 min in teh semi's - higher "ranked team" is awarded the game

eg in a 1 v 4 semi final and its drawn - then the team coming 1st by right - is awarded the game for the effort they put in during the whole season. The team ranked #4 could not beat them

It would put more value on finishing higher up on the premiership table

Loudstrat

Coach
That game should never, ever have been decided by a field goal. Excellent argument when suppporting scrapping the concept-that was an epic game & a f*cked way to go out
Why not? Its legitimate!

The other option I was thinking about if drawn at end of 10 min in teh semi's - higher "ranked team" is awarded the game

eg in a 1 v 4 semi final and its drawn - then the team coming 1st by right - is awarded the game for the effort they put in during the whole season. The team ranked #4 could not beat them

It would put more value on finishing higher up on the premiership table
I think the old Amco Cup used to use a penalty countback - not a bad idea eaither, but could you imagine the whinging from the losing coach!!!!!!!!!

Easy remove 2 players from each side
Only a fruitcake like you could even think about putting a stupid All stars rule into the NRL season proper.

Dogs Of War

Coach

All Finals games should just go back to how it use to be, play out the entire extra time period. THough it used to be 10 mins each way, I think two sets of 5 and then golden point from then on if no result.

Dogs in 98 played back to back extra time games in the finals to get to the Grand Final. The Dogs did get beat in the final, but really the better team that year won.

Lambretta

First Grade
The golden point period adds excitement to boring games. That said, people get fixated on the "point" bit - and simply go for the point.

Bring back the draw. Boring games wil be boring games, but at least it's justifiable on the grounds of player welfare AND the integrity of the 80 minute time period which rules our game.

Pretty much this. What is wrong with a draw?
A draw is a valid outcome to game during the regular season and I didn't have a problem with them to begin with.

Even a thrilling game, rather than a boring game can end in a draw and be OK on the basis that neither team deserved to lose.

If you do go to golden time and one team wins in extra time, I've always thought the losing team should be given 1 point anyway. This is probably at the crux of why I hate golden point extra time. For f**king donkeys years being level after 80 got you a reward. Now it gets you f**k all unless you win the extra time lottery. It's a fehkin bollix, as they say in Ireland.

Lambretta

First Grade
Dogs in 98 played back to back extra time games in the finals to get to the Grand Final. The Dogs did get beat in the final, but really the better team that year won.

That's the understatement of the century

That 98 Dogs team were the worst side to make a Final that I've ever seen - let alone a Grand Final. How they made it that far is one of the greatest mysteries of all time. Even Sherlock Holmes would be flummoxed.

The only explanation I have ever managed is that the opposition just didn't take them seriously and couldn't believe they were capable of scoring a point, let alone winning a game.

They're 1,000 times the team today than they were that year.

Quidgybo

Bench
Some people here are not getting that you can still win with a field goal/penalty goal in golden try extra-time.

Score a try - you win, game ends immediately
Kick a field goal - field goal counts but you continue playing for the 10 minute extra time period.
Kick a penalty goal - same as field goal.
So if I kick three or four penalty goals and then you score a try, I lose by -2 points? That's just silly. With first to four if I kick two penalty goals or one penalty goal and two field goals, I get the game ending win the same as if I'd scored the four points via a single try.

Leigh.

Latest posts