What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
If the NRL won't let Carney play next year theres no way Bird will be playing.

Instead of jail, there's always the option of doing 3 years community service playing for Manly.

Peter Peters should hightail it over to Bird's place now, clean out his fridge and offer him a contract.

bartman

Immortal
Greg Bird has been stood down indefinately by the Cronulla Sharks over the incident.
Fox Sports News
Good enough for me, provided indefinitely means until 8 October when he's innocence or guilt is proven in court.

After that there might be the legal platform for the Sharks to do more.

Ryan

Juniors
Your the genius who brought up the AFL' code-of-conduct and using it as a template when the fact is the AFL never use it and the NRL are far stronger on offenders the the AFL ever is.

And ihaf a garet education, so thaer.

Noa, your an angry angry man. Want a hug mate?

Frailty

First Grade
And that would be the difference between murder & manslaughter and the diference between spending 1 year in jail and 20, so theres a massive difference. I think.

No it wouldn't. For example, I rob a store with a gun in my hand, and i shoot it randomly and I hit and kill someone, I am charged with murder not manslaughter.

The reason being I, as the reasonable person, should know if I am going somewhere with a weapon I am aware of the risks. In the context of bird, he is in an argument and he throws glass, he knows that it could hit the victim.

Irregardless, there is no difference in the type of charge laid, but ultimately it may be something that is considered during sentencing.

Seriously guys, Sharks did the right thing here. If a court of law finds him not guilty and other action could leave the club open to legal action themselves. I just hope the girl is ok. Even if found not guilty, I am sick of this guy and don't want him back in our gernsey.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i dont think they did, the players were upset cos they didnt get a 'fair go' from the club but the club said they had been warned previously about their behaviour.

brid can f**k off to french onion

i don't think he's allowed to leave the country atm

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Instead of jail, there's always the option of doing 3 years community service playing for Manly.

Peter Peters should hightail it over to Bird's place now, clean out his fridge and offer him a contract.

Whats wrong with you? This is a serious matter and all you can do is bag Manly. You're a joke.

Cronulla have done the right thing and I expect the NRL will follow suit. Hopefully the victim makes a full recovery from this horrible attack, and the appropriate legal action is taken against Bird.

Azkatro

First Grade
No it wouldn't. For example, I rob a store with a gun in my hand, and i shoot it randomly and I hit and kill someone, I am charged with murder not manslaughter.

The reason being I, as the reasonable person, should know if I am going somewhere with a weapon I am aware of the risks. In the context of bird, he is in an argument and he throws glass, he knows that it could hit the victim.

Irregardless, there is no difference in the type of charge laid, but ultimately it may be something that is considered during sentencing.
I'm no legal eagle, but I thought murder was basically the intent to kill someone? Like in your scenario, shooting a gun "randomly" and the bullet hitting and killing someone would fall under some other category if proven in a court of law. Wheras if he aims the gun at the clerk and fires, and it kills the clerk, then it's murder.

Patorick

Staff member
Whats wrong with you? This is a serious matter and all you can do is bag Manly. You're a joke.

Cronulla have done the right thing and I expect the NRL will follow suit. Hopefully the victim makes a full recovery from this horrible attack, and the appropriate legal action is taken against Bird.
guy is just a few beers short of a six pack.

Noa

First Grade

In that scenario that would be correct.

But all Im saying is if Bird threw the glass across a room meaning to hit the wall that would make a massive difference then if he was standing right in front of her and jabbed it in her face.

BTW I hope it doesnt sound like Im defending Bird as I loath what he has done and he deserves what ever he gets.

And Ryan Im a very happy person, I just get fired up when I see people suggesting that the NRL needs to follow what the AFL does as if their the bastion of integrity and morality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts