What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

what a waste of skin. i can see his defence now, i was so angry that i went to throw the glass and she stepped in front. i guess the severity of the punishment will come down to her.

Maybe he'll try the $BW defence - I was angry that I'm not getting paid enough?

sharks_4_06

Juniors
woman goes to hospital with a glass embedded in her eye socket
neighbours hear arguing and screams - blood trail out the door and across the car park
neighbours overhear her accusing him of hurting her - also hear him say she's a 'f**king idiot'
Bird tells cops his flatmate did it - pity he was playing golf at the time - witnesses to corroborate

if it was an accident, surely the credible story would have been believeable and sorted out immediately.

seriously - are you living in fuggin lala land?

Ok big mouth so u know for sure that this has happened? U got no f***ing idea like the rest of us.

Can't believe it...
We invested so much time with him, he has become one of our best and one of the best in the league and he goes and does this.
I have tried to back him up every time thinking it was a once off.
Innocent until proven guilty but I can't see him getting out of this one.

Sorry but

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...oneteedoff-mate/2008/08/25/1219516372402.html

The footballer, the glassed girlfriend and his fall guy … one teed-off mate

Erik Jensen, Brad Walter, Glenn Jackson and Dylan Welch | August 26, 2008

Brent Watson was on the 18th tee when he rang his friend, the Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird. He had missed six calls and two text messages from the rugby league star.

"Something has happened to Katie - it was an accident," Bird allegedly told Mr Watson. "There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told the police it was you. How do you feel about that?"

Katie Milligan, Bird's 24-year-old American girlfriend, was in hospital by this time. A glass had been smashed in her face and she had a fractured eye socket.

A trail of blood was running through Bird's Cronulla beach apartment. There was glass in Bird's queen-sized bed and there were shards alongside it.

According to a police version of events tendered in Sutherland Local Court yesterday, Mr Watson, 23, had met Bird's solicitor at a local McDonald's after the call. "We don't want this getting to the media," the solicitor allegedly said.

Mr Watson, an accomplished golfer, went to his family, then police. He received a further text message from Bird as he spoke to police. "My manager is helping me sort this sh*t out," it read.

Bird, 24, and his girlfriend had already told hospital staff that Mr Watson was the culprit. By the end of the day it was Bird who was on bail facing two charges of attacking Ms Milligan, who was expected to undergo surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital. An apprehended violence order prevented him approaching her.

Bird was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Another alleged attack, in which he had allegedly slapped Ms Milligan, was also mentioned by the prosecutor.

Yesterday afternoon, the Cronulla Sharks stood down Bird indefinitely. It looked unlikely he would play again this season.

"The club does not want to prejudge Greg until we have had an opportunity to meet with him and his legal counsel face-to-face," the Sharks chief executive, Tony Zappia, said.

"However, we are mindful that the allegations made by police prosecution at this point in time are extremely serious."

While Ms Milligan and Bird both told hospital staff that Mr Watson had attacked her, their versions of events differed slightly.

Neighbours told police that the only voices they heard in the apartment at the time of the alleged attack, between 7.30am and 8am on Sunday, belonged to Ms Milligan and Bird.

Bird is alleged to have yelled at Ms Milligan to "stop being a ---ing idiot". As the pair left the apartment that morning, en route to hospital, neighbours said they heard Ms Milligan ask Bird why he had attacked her.

"I didn't do it," he allegedly said. "Yes, you did," had been her reply.

The police prosecutor, Matt Zalunardo, told the court that Bird had tried to "pin the offence" on another person. He described a "great shadow of doubt" over Bird's version of events.

"The accused person … is actively trying to deceive police by inferring other people are involved in the matter and not being entirely honest," he said.

Acting Sergeant Zalunardo said Mr Watson had been at the Bankstown Golf Club on the morning of the alleged attack. "This places considerable doubt on the version of Mr Bird," he said. Mr Bird's lawyer argued that there were significant factual disputes and said the matter would be strongly defended.

The NRL chief executive, David Gallop, supported Cronulla's action and said Bird would face a life ban should he be found guilty.

Bird is due to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on October 8. The maximum sentence for his charges is 25 years in prison.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...from-nrl-gallop/2008/08/25/1219516372417.html

Bird facing lifetime ban from NRL: Gallop

Glenn Jackson and Brad Walter | August 26, 2008

Suspended Sharks player Greg Bird faces being rubbed out of the NRL for life if allegations that he glassed his girlfriend on Sunday morning and assaulted another woman earlier this year are proved in court.

The Sharks yesterday stood down Bird indefinitely from club duties after the NSW and Australian representative was charged with two counts of assault relating to an incident in his Cronulla unit in which his partner, Katie Milligan, suffered a fractured eye socket and possible loss of sight.

Police also told the court that they were investigating another allegation that he assaulted Milligan on a previous occasion.

Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia said it was "highly unlikely" Bird would play for the club again this season - if at all, given the hardline stance the Sharks and the NRL have taken over other recent incidents.

The game's latest off-field knock comes just weeks after Canberra sacked halfback Todd Carney over repeated alcohol-related incidents, with NRL chief executive David Gallop threatening to deregister his contract if he signed with a club for next season. In this case, Gallop threatened to come down even harder on Bird, maintaining he could be banned for life if he is convicted.

"Certainly, if these allegations are proven, then we are certainly into the territory of looking at not only his future at that club but his future in the game," Gallop said.

The Sharks stopped short of sacking Bird because the 24-year-old has maintained his innocence, even though the club tore up the contract of their former hooker Tevita Latu after he assaulted a woman. Latu punched 19-year-old bikini model Brooke Penington in the face, breaking her nose, during an altercation at a Cronulla service station in May, 2006. But Gallop said the two situations differed because "a full admission was made" in Latu's case.

"If that happens, then clubs are able to act more quickly than in situations where the version of events are in dispute," he said.

Gallop said he fully supported the Sharks' stance in standing down Bird until the facts were known - with Bird due in court again on October 8, three days after the grand final.

"Obviously these are very serious allegations … I certainly support the action of the Sharks in standing the player down," Gallop said. "It's certainly disappointing in terms of the series of allegations that have been made and it's now a matter for the courts to sort out."

Zappia, with whom Bird spoke on Sunday afternoon from hospital where the Test star was visiting Milligan before being charged, said the club was still trying to gather all of the facts and was awaiting more information from police.

When contacted on Sunday, Bird told the Herald: "There is nothing going on. I've been out all day. Enjoy your Sunday."

Asked what Bird had said to him, Zappia said: "Pretty much that there was an incident at his unit involving some guests that were staying there and he wasn't involved."

After issuing a statement on Sunday night - before the charges were laid - denying any wrongdoing by Bird, Zappia admitted that the evidence presented by police in court yesterday painted an alarmingly different scenario.

"They're reasonably different," he said. "But obviously the matter is a legal matter. It is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Luckily I've still got my teeth."

Zappia also confirmed the club had been aware that police were investigating an allegation that Bird had assaulted a woman in a nightclub during the pre-season but did not hear any more and assumed he had been cleared.

Officials could not have imagined a more unsavoury incident than this - coming after the NRL had worked hard to ensure women have a strong presence in the game in the wake of the rape allegations against Bulldogs players in Coffs Harbour in 2004.

Asked whether the charges against Bird would undermine the work being done by the NRL, Gallop said: "The work is still receiving endorsement as recently as today from experts in the field, and we need to continue with that work. It's certainly been regarded as something that the league's done well in terms of education, but an episode like this is damaging."

Last edited:
Its going to be interesting to see what the NRL do if the girlfriend refuses to cooperate with the police.

You cant imagine they would get a conviction without her.

effnic

Bench
[furrycat];4483184 said:
Jesus Christ, it is obvious that effnic is just kidding and taking the piss...
ahaha there are some slow mother f**kers on this site deadset. You can tell who the people are that dont go out much.:lol:

Tommy Smith

Referee
His probably told her that if she says it was him she would get another one.

Ya just never know.
Unlikely. Unfortunately one gets the impression that it is somewhat common in violent relationships for the woman to back up her partner against such allegations.

Dont know why. Will have to ask a psychologist...

As for Bird, as of right now he's up sh*t creek without a paddle. I dont think he can be prosecuted if she chooses not to go ahead with the charges? So he may be lucky on that count, but id say his NRL career is over.

Looks like its off to Perpignon...

Bman26

Juniors
Once the charges have been laid (which they have in this case) it becomes a criminal thing which the police pursue not her individually.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Unlikely. Unfortunately one gets the impression that it is somewhat common in violent relationships for the woman to back up her partner against such allegations.

Dont know why. Will have to ask a psychologist...

It doesn't just have to be psychological - it may also be financial. She could be dependent on him...in which case his getting jailed isn't desirable for her.

But at the end of the day people rarely want to see their loved ones punished, no matter how heinous their behaviour...

It doesn't just have to be psychological - it may also be financial. She could be dependent on him...in which case his getting jailed isn't desirable for her.

Yeah and also they like the attention they get when they`re getting beaten. I`ve seen plenty of women in my life who love being beaten, cos they feel like they matter then. Or whatever.

I don`t care about this woman at all to be honest, you get what you ask for when you go out with a piece of crap like Bird. But I just wanna see him out of the game forever.

Yeah and also they like the attention they get when they`re getting beaten. I`ve seen plenty of women in my life who love being beaten, cos they feel like they matter then. Or whatever.

I don`t care about this woman at all to be honest, you get what you ask for when you go out with a piece of crap like Bird. But I just wanna see him out of the game forever.

You've been watching "once were warriors" too many times...get a grip.

If this was an isolated instance then how was she knowing that she was getting into a relationship with a violent person ?.

icewind

Juniors
if she is vulnerable emotionally, things like "i can change", "i'm sorry, so sorry, i'll never do it again", happen, and the innocent party actually feels guilty if they don't give them another chance, or they say, look at his good points etc etc.

You have no idea mate. A woman's make-up too, is different, theirs is based on emotions, not logic, which can be manipulated by some pricks.