What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

sharko

Juniors
Let me say that no one should be subjected to assault, man or woman. I do not condone anything of the sort... but...

Why can a guy not be allowed to WORK because of this?
If he was a plumber he'd be sweet. If he was a sparky he'd be sweet. So why not a footy player?

There have been footy players who have been to jail and come out and played NRL. Why should Greg Bird be different?

I'm all for the Sharks standing him down pending investigation. I'm all for the Sharks sacking him if he is found guilty. But to say he should be banned for life is concerning to me.

The reasons are twofold -petty jealousies and politics..Jealousy - Bird is a great player and decent bloke who had a bird travel halfway round the world to hang out with him. Most of the posters on this topic would probably have a bird travel halfway round the world to get away from them.

Politics- He is key player in an opposing team who they would rather see outed for the semis than possibly face their own team. The bird in question and her injury are merely a convenience that they wish to hide behind.

It has been a dreadful witch hunt of which a number of you posters ought to be ashamed!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Let me say that no one should be subjected to assault, man or woman. I do not condone anything of the sort... but...

Why can a guy not be allowed to WORK because of this?
If he was a plumber he'd be sweet. If he was a sparky he'd be sweet. So why not a footy player?

There have been footy players who have been to jail and come out and played NRL. Why should Greg Bird be different?

I'm all for the Sharks standing him down pending investigation. I'm all for the Sharks sacking him if he is found guilty. But to say he should be banned for life is concerning to me.

he's allowed to work just not in the NRL (should he be deregistered). if i'm a doctor who commits serious malpratice i'm disbarred and unable to work in the particular state i held my registration - doesnt mean i cant go elsewhere to ply my trade.

his work is in the public eye, in an environment set up by the NRL, hence the NRL has the right to choose who they allow to play in their comp provided they arent breaking any standard legal issues (i.e. discrimination, on a similar note can the NRL refuse to allow a woman to play?)

i think the reasons why others have been to jail and been allowed to play is because a) the nature of the crime, b) the time when they did it. there are players who ahve done things BEFORE they were playing in the NRL and in the public eye, it's kinda like saying they'reunder 18 and arent tried as adults. Bird has seriously brought the game into disrepute with his actions and needs to be punished accordingly. if you want to run a business and have him be your spokesperson then by all means go ahead but i wouldnt let him come within 10kms of my business

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Sharko's point is that it would be best for the NRL if this blows over and Bird gets back to footy. There's a World Cup coming up..

yeah thats what's gotten sports codes into problems is hiding the dirty stuff their players do. if he hasnt done it then by all emans fine, but hoping it "blows over" is the same as "sweeping it udner the rug" - but i forgot the real victim here is brid and the WC not the girl who's in hospital :roll:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The reasons are twofold -petty jealousies and politics..Jealousy - Bird is a great player and decent bloke who had a bird travel halfway round the world to hang out with him. Most of the posters on this topic would probably have a bird travel halfway round the world to get away from them.

Politics- He is key player in an opposing team who they would rather see outed for the semis than possibly face their own team. The bird in question and her injury are merely a convenience that they wish to hide behind.

It has been a dreadful witch hunt of which a number of you posters ought to be ashamed!

yep you've just confrimed it you are the dumbest merkin on the internet...

Shorty

Staff member

Couldn't be because he is being charged with grievous bodily harm nah not at all.
I wonder if you'd feel this way if a footballer was being accused of doing this to your daughter,sister or mother.

S.R.

Juniors
he's allowed to work just not in the NRL (should he be deregistered). if i'm a doctor who commits serious malpratice i'm disbarred and unable to work in the particular state i held my registration - doesnt mean i cant go elsewhere to ply my trade.

his work is in the public eye, in an environment set up by the NRL, hence the NRL has the right to choose who they allow to play in their comp provided they arent breaking any standard legal issues (i.e. discrimination, on a similar note can the NRL refuse to allow a woman to play?)

i think the reasons why others have been to jail and been allowed to play is because a) the nature of the crime, b) the time when they did it. there are players who ahve done things BEFORE they were playing in the NRL and in the public eye, it's kinda like saying they'reunder 18 and arent tried as adults. Bird has seriously brought the game into disrepute with his actions and needs to be punished accordingly. if you want to run a business and have him be your spokesperson then by all means go ahead but i wouldnt let him come within 10kms of my business

I would have thought that it would actually be discrimination though? And that is illegal?

Look, if it is all true, I don't want him anywhere near my club. That's for sure. I don't think any clubs in Australia would sign him either. But if he's not guilty in a court of law, then I don't see how the NRL can do anything.

The Gambler

Juniors
I just wish his girlfriend would get off the fence and confirm who hit her with the glass. I understand she is trying to get over the injury, etc etc, but all the stalling just makes it look worse for not only Bird, but for her also in my opinion.

The longer she refuses to talk the more it looks like she is preparing a fabricated timeline of events.

Shorty

Staff member
I would have thought that it would actually be discrimination though? And that is illegal?

Look, if it is all true, I don't want him anywhere near my club. That's for sure. I don't think any clubs in Australia would sign him either. But if he's not guilty in a court of law, then I don't see how the NRL can do anything.
I think generally that's just people's opinion.
Realistically he'd probably be able to get a gig over there.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...lea-for-privacy/2008/08/28/1219516639638.html
Girlfriend's plea for privacy

Andrew Webster | August 28, 2008 - 2:01PM

The girlfriend of Sharks star Greg Bird says her immediate concern is to recover from an eye injury and not clear the air about the night she was allegedly hit with a glass.

In her first public comments since Sunday's incident, US law student Katie Milligan released a statement to the Herald this afternoon, asking for privacy as the fallout from Bird being charged with her assault continues.

While her condition is not clear, it is understood she has been released from hospital.

She has not lost the sight of her eye, despite fears she would.

"My client wishes to advise that she is concentrating on her recovery, as this is the paramount consideration at this point in time," her legal representative, Campbell MacCallum, said.

"She has expressed some disappointment in the number of inaccuracies contained in much of the media coverage of the incident.

"However, under legal advice, she has not yet released her statement of events."

Bird, 24, has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks, and has been charged with assault.

The matter will next be in court on October 8.

Ms Milligan's father, who arrived in Sydney from New York yesterday, is with her.

"She does request that the media and others respect her privacy and that of her family during this difficult period," Mr MacCallum said.

"She would like to convey her gratitude for the many expressions of support she has received, and most especially to those health-care professionals who have provided her care."

sting

Bench
yup

Sharks hold on to sponsor

Article from:
By Josh Massoud and Dean Ritchie
August 28, 2008 12:00am

A HIGH-powered meeting with NRL boss David Gallop has convinced Cronulla sleeve sponsor PKF to continue its $1 million support of the besieged club.
Scathing client feedback arising from serious assault charges against Sharks star Greg Bird had prompted the chartered accountant to consider pulling its three-year sponsorship.

The firm’s CEO David Ratcliffe met with Gallop, Sharks boss Tony Zappia and coach Ricky Stuart earlier today. Former Tigers great Benny Elias also attended as an intermediary because he convinced PKF to associate with rugby league.

Ratcliffe is understood to have sought a commitment from the Sharks to implement further programs to improve players’ attitude toward women. Based on an undertaking from Zappia and Stuart, he agreed to continue.

The club had been bracing itself to lose the deal as a direct result of Bird's arrest last weekend. Today's meeting followed an emergency meeting of PKF's executive last night in Sydney.
To illustrate the club is moving on from Bird, the Sharks yesterday removed his profile from its official website. He is pictured in a website photo sitting next to coach Stuart but his profile, including age and interests, have now been deleted.
Asked why the club had taken such a stance, Zappia said: "It is important we protect the brand of the club and protect our sponsors until the investigation is finalised. It's not a insignificant thing. It's about protecting everybody."
PKF is in the first season of a three-year sponsorship deal and outlay up to $300,000 a season to the Sharks. The company was understood to be deeply concerned its image would be tarnished by being linked to a club whose player allegedly assaulted a woman last weekend.
Bird has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks after being charged with "glassing" girlfriend Katie Milligan on Sunday morning.
PKF management claim to have been bombarded by emails from staff and clients questioning their sponsorship commitment with Cronulla. "We are a big supporter of the NRL and have been a part of the NRL for some time," PKF chief executive David Ratcliffe said last night.
"We talk to our staff and clients about respect and integrity and we can't afford to have anything tarnish that. Our brand and image are everything. Quality and respect - it's hard to keep talking to staff and clients about this if we don't stand by it.
"I'm having trouble keeping this on track. This has created a real problem for us. This isn't particularly healthy. A number of our staff and clients are asking whether we are reviewing the sponsorship and our commitment to the Sharks."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24252926-5001023,00.html

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
I thought Bird's sisters comments were an admission of guilt. Does anyone else feel that way? She didn't claim his innocence , she blamed the club for what's happened. Why would she blame the club for something he apparently didn't even do or was an accident.

sting

Bench
"She has expressed some disappointment in the number of inaccuracies contained in much of the media coverage of the incident.

"However, under legal advice, she has not yet released her statement of events."

from the article... i don't like this, hasn't most of the media articles been saying he did it, etc ??? and she doesn't like the "inaccuracies"?

hmmm well what really happened then!?

Shorty

Staff member
That doesn't sound good,it doesn't sound like she'll continue with the charges.

Parra

Referee

That depends on your perspective. If you were his manager it sounds quite good, as Bird texted on Sunday "his manager is sorting this **** out"

Snoop

Coach

It matters not. The cops can still press charges and with the way Bird acted after the event he looks guilty as sin with or without her testimony.

Latest posts