What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

sting

Bench
I disagree. He is trying to confuse the issue by pretending that a slap is nothing so he can pretend Watmough is a good guy. I dont' know if Watmough is guilty of not. It is trying to trivialise a slap.

ffs this is getting frustrating to read. he never said a slap is nothing and he isn't trying to trivialize it. in fact i believe he said slapping is unacceptable. all he is saying that a punch is worse than a slap. which in the eyes of the law would be right.

slap = very bad
punch = worse

what is hard to understand about that?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
ffs this is getting frustrating to read. he never said a slap is nothing and he isn't trying to trivialize it. in fact i believe he said slapping is unacceptable. all he is saying that a punch is worse than a slap. which in the eyes of the law would be right.

slap = very bad
punch = worse

what is hard to understand about that?

A slap is not necessarily lesser than a punch. You can kill a man with an open hand no problem.

The law would frown upon a slap to the temple causing death more so than a punch to the stomach causing winding!

Slapping is the classic excuse for domestic violence. "I'd never punch a woman I only gave her a slap". That is the excuse to go ahead. It is the abuse of the use of "slap" that allows men to do enormous damage with their erroneously innocuous slap.

Last edited:

sting

Bench
yeh fair point i see where your coming from with your last point regarding slapping being an excuse.

for the record i think its disgusting

but i've just never heard of anyone being slapped to death, punching seems to do far more damage. ie you wouldn't see two blokes slapping on in the pub or on the footy field. i'd imagine one would need to have some kind of training or know where to hit in order to kill someone with a slap

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
yeh fair point i see where your coming from with your last point regarding slapping being an excuse.

but i've just never heard of anyone being slapped to death, punching seems to do far more damage. ie you wouldn't see two blokes slapping on in the pub or on the footy field. i'd imagine one would need to have some kind of training or know where to hit in order to kill someone with a slap

My girlfriend was married for 13 years. There was an initial violence over the first year or so over the marriage, then a dormant period for about 8 years. After this the violence reached new levels. I have heard many descriptions of her attacks, and I assure you in this situation, the slap was the justification, and she lived for several years in fear of her life, before she had the courage to leave.

Blokes punch blokes. Blokes slap woman. The results are the same.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors

A slap across the side of the head - right on the temple.

Look at it this way. The slap is the trigger and the justification. The perpertrator can deliver 8 slaps and but one punch, and can say to himself I only really slapped her. The slap is just a mask.

MSIH

Bench
I'm a wife beater because you two gronks can't get a grasp of the English language?

Please don't have children.

I particularly like how you keep adding new dimensions to my original One slap statement. You've changed it to constant slapping to the temple over an 8 year period.

Good to see Ozbash getting back involved, took him 12 hours to read 7 posts and he still has nfi what's going on.

ozbash

Referee
Good to see Ozbash getting back involved, took him 12 hours to read 7 posts and he still has nfi what's going on.

haha, good stuff champ, never knew you had the clues to count to 7, let alone 12.

somebody help you ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24276868-5001021,00.html

Bird case continues with or without girlfriend's help
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Kara Lawrence and Paul Kent

September 02, 2008 12:00am

POLICE have vowed to continue their prosecution of NRL star Greg Bird for allegedly glassing his girlfriend Katie Milligan, despite her public declaration she will stand by him.
Detectives who have charged Bird with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm say they intend to proceed with the case, even if it relied on other evidence.

This included statements by Bird's neighbours about events of the morning of Sunday, August 24, when he allegedly led his girlfriend, bleeding from glass wounds to her left eye, from his Cronulla apartment and drove her to hospital.

Detective Inspector Greg Bamford told The Daily Telegraph yesterday that police intended to pursue the prosecution of Bird "at this stage", despite Ms Milligan not giving a formal statement.

Ms Milligan, 24, told The Daily Telegraph in an exclusive interview that she was still "very much in love" with Bird and that they would reunite when "this all blows over". Still sporting a large cut near her eye, she said she would be supporting him in his not guilty plea.

When asked if she would give a statement to police about events, she replied: "That is yet to be determined".

Bird, 24, has been suspended indefinitely from the Sharks and will not return before the season is over.

Insp Bamford said Ms Milligan was well aware that police wanted a formal statement from her, but they were no longer pursuing it after more than a week of doing so. "Ms Milligan knows where we are, our doors are open and we'd like her to come and talk to us," he said.

More than 85 per cent of 2000 readers who voted in a Daily Telegraph website poll yesterday said they would not stand by Bird if they were in Milligan's shoes.

However, NSW Domestic Violence Coalition convenor Betty Green said it was wrong to blame the alleged victim.

God-King Dean

Immortal
However, NSW Domestic Violence Coalition convenor Betty Green said it was wrong to blame the alleged victim.

Does she mean wrong to blame her for getting glassed, or wrong to blame her for standing by her man ?

If it's the latter... is that really the kind of message for a convener of domestic violence to send to beaten girlfriends/wives ?

*Sandy*

First Grade

Does she mean wrong to blame her for getting glassed, or wrong to blame her for standing by her man ?

If it's the latter... is that really the kind of message for a convener of domestic violence to send to beaten girlfriends/wives ?

I interpret it being the latter.

And I interpret that as protection of the alleged victim by the covener of domestic voilence.

It's a difficult situation for an alleged victim and it is very hard to determine her mental state at this time.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Hmm. While I can understand that, I believe more personal responsibility should be taken by victims of abuse. That statement seems just gives me the impression that women have no power in this.

That's just me anyway...

*Sandy*

First Grade
Hmm. While I can understand that, I believe more personal responsibility should be taken by victims of abuse. That statement seems just gives me the impression that women have no power in this.

That's just me anyway...

But that's the way we have to help a victim, give her the impression she has power outside the abuser.

Don't blame her, don't pity her, don't feel sorry for her.
Just feel her heartache...

Pierced Soul

First Grade

That's just me anyway...

unfortunaetly a lot of victims feel they ahve no power either. DV is essentially a major power imbalance where the perpetrator abuses and controls the victim.

it's not unsuual for the vicitm to blame themselves, nor for the vicitm to keep going back believeing it will get 'better'.

Latest posts