What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

Coach
The thing that will piss me off is

if we sack bird
then we sign carney next year

what message does that send?

Our club needs to stand by bird for now. Drop him yes until this is sorted, but no point washing our hands of him. If it is true then rehab him and have him de-registered from the NRL, just don't disown him. He is our "star" and needs help. I'm not justifying this at all I am just saying the club needs to be strong and get Greg the help he needs (drinking problem? anger?) and forget about him playing for us.

For a man to do something like this to a woman is deplorable, let alone with a object such as a glass. I've seen people get bottled or "glassed" and its not pretty. For someone to do such a thing to their girlfriend (who moved from the other side of the world) suggests something is not right.

The club footed the bill for the girl in the Latu case and in the Gallen case earlier this year the club stepped up before the guy was proved to be a joke. I'm sure the club will do the right thing by the girl and the league in general but ffs if this is true then Bird needs some serious help.

coolumsharkie

Referee
OK, so as long as we don't go all moral panic, 'Everyone will hate us, won't somebody please think of the children?" he can play. We don't have to play interstate again this year, so he'll have no need to breach bail conditions. Make him apologise, suit him up and get him out on the field. Then plead him so he gets community service and suspend him between November and February.

This should not screw up our premiership.

And maybe we can send Simmo or Kinga to gaol in his stead.

aah mate, if it was your daughter I'm sure there would be some trouble brewing within your morality.

My first post in this thread was comic because thats the way I deal with tragic news first, again, it's someones young daughter. He needs some serious work done to him in my opinion.

He's a low merkin, end of story.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Something should happen to him for sure. BUT... lets not go nuts. We sacrificed Latu for no good reason, and Bird is 20 times the player he was.

The Bulldogs wouldn't cut him. Let's be bastards.

Special K

Coach
On fox sports they are saying

he has a avo out on him now

the matter has been suspended till the 8th of october

the sharks are meeting right now but are looking most likely to suspend him till the matter goes to court

sharks players walking around with their heads down

*edited by spider*

f**k

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dodger

First Grade
Sharks star released on bail
GARETH BETHELL
25/08/2008 12:01:00 PM
NRL star Greg Bird was granted conditional bail in Sutherland Local Court today, after being charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
Police allege Bird's girlfriend was allegedly glassed in the face at his Cronulla apartment.
Investigators from Miranda Local Area Command last night arrested and charged the Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player Bird, 24, in relation to the incident.
He was also given a field court attendance notice for common assault relating to an alleged incident involving a woman at a nightclub in Cronulla Street, Cronulla, on January 19 this year.
Magistrate Beverley Schurr asked today for a $5000 surety and said Bird must not contact any witnesses in the case.
He will appear again in Sydney's Downing Centre court on October 7.
Police allege the incident happened during an argument at a unit block in Boorima Place about 7.30am yesterday. The woman, 24, remains in Prince of Wales Hospital where she will undergo surgery today for glass wounds to her eye. She also suffered a fractured eye socket.

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/sharks-star-released-on-bail/1252871.aspx

Ausguy

Coach
On fox sports they are saying

he has a avo out on him now

the matter has been suspended till the 8th of october

the sharks are meeting right now but are looking most likely to suspend him till the matter goes to court

sharks players walking around with their heads down

*edited by spider*

f**k

yeah i heard that interview... bloody russell fairfax couldnt b a wrse person to be atthe court... he deadset hung him up before anything factual has come out...

ilaughed when he said tha ricky is deadset shatttered... he said he heard from someone ?? that ricky cant believe it and that the sharks players are walking around with their heads down and the club doesnt know how it can come back from this??? what a load of sh*t. it was a shocking interview based on heresay and i got nothing out of it i already didnt know.

SharkShocked

Bench
How can you idiots say that if it's true and that he has commited a CRIMINAL ACT that we should be bastards about it and continue to play him with the water still murky?

The fact that he doesn't face court until after the season ends doesn't give us the right to sit there and make an arguement that we will let the courts decide whether he is guilty and deal with it then.

Every NRL player has a standard to uphold both on the field and off the field, and this is a disgraceful act by any human being no matter what walk of life they happen to be in.

If you saw some drugged up derelict bloke on the street do this to someone you know, i guarantee you wouldn't want him wandering your neighbourhood or drinking in the same pub as you.

Are you guys that far disconnected from morality?

The club has no option but to drop him from playing and training until the matter is sorted.

Now is a real test of the clubs integrity.

Quigs

Immortal
Arn't you sick and tired of everyone trying to cover everyones arse because they are c0ckheads.

It's all about being accountable for your actions.

I am a long long way from being a saint, but I learnt a long time ago that I do what I do, pissed or sober.

If the local office johnny had allegedly glassed your neighbour daughter you would be screaming for him to be hung.

Times have changed. Changed big time. in the good old days if you were stepping out of line on the piss more then likely you were told by one of the older blokes to pull your head in. And you did.

Now days they commit the crime and then have fifteen excuses or 'escape' plans thrown at them. Bi polar, depression, sexually abused as a child.

Simple terms ... if you are prepared to do the crime, then be prepared to do the time.

No excuses offered. The club has no responsibility to any players actions these days. They have all been warned, they have all seen what can happen, and f**k me dead, they all no what is acceptable and what is not.

Looks like our dickheads just can't help but be dickheads. I got a laugh out of blueing in a Mosh Pit. But this is just not on.

Bare in mind I have seen some women that deserve floggin's big time. But that is a rearity.

I'm talkin masculine lezzo's beating up blokes. I don't think the alleged victim falls into that category.

Oh well its more interesting times ahead .... us sharkies ..... never a dull moment.

And I used to laugh when I heard about Knuckles Hornery trying to rip the fountain out of its fittings at the front of the Berries Club.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

samshark

Juniors
I am curious - How do the media find out what happened in the interview when no statement has been made by the police, club or bird himself?

Only point it makes was a female was hit but didn't say who.

The media dont know what happened in the interview and know very little about this other than the basics. As for how they find out, once a person is charged by police and listed to face court, unless it is children or pedafilia related (spelling) and a couple of other circumstances the media can publish the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.