What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

Noa

First Grade
Jesse Fink does it again.

http://www.sbs.com.au/sport/blog/single/112006/Gossip-is-not-a-court-of-law

A rugby league player has once again been found guilty in another trial by media, writes Jesse Fink.

Add your comment

Here we go again. The zeal with which the media rushed to condemn Greg Inglis, even before he appeared in Sunshine Magistrates' Court this morning to face charges of unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury, has faint echoes of the Matthew Johns scandal that gripped the country a few months ago. Everyone got their pound of flesh and left the poor bastard as good as dead before all the facts had emerged in the story (and those that had been conveniently left out).

Johns has since, in my view, been vindicated and arguably is more popular than he ever was (attested to by the phenomenon of Johns support groups on Facebook) but he will forever be a changed man for his experience. Arch-feminists will say good, he had it coming, as does every man who puts himself in the same position Johns was in back in that Christchurch hotel room in 2002, but that is their opinion. Just as mine is he didn't deserve the treatment he got.

In Inglis's case, Fairfax has already intimated it thinks he's done wrong, doing a story on footballers' partners who "stand by their man" in the face of abuse.

Inglis's girlfriend, Sally Robinson, may or may not be telling the truth about having had botox injections to explain the bruising on her face, but that is something the courts are there to test, not Roy Masters, who has already declared "the code's best player has given his partner… a black eye".

Really, Mr Masters? Were you there? Has Inglis admitted his guilt? Did Robinson report it to police? (For the record, she did not; rather she cooperated with officers who attended the scene after neighbours concerned by the noise of a domestic disturbance at the Inglis–Robinson residence called 000. Robinson provided a statement saying she was "pushed" in the face.)

We can tutter, we can decry, we can feel anger and revulsion, but until such time as all the facts of the case are heard and tested in court, all we are doing is wildly speculating.

We don't know what happened inside Inglis's and Robinson's Altona Meadows home last Sunday morning. We don't know what the circumstances were around the alleged incident. We don't know if there was provocation. How much alcohol was a factor. If there was intent or what is alleged to have taken place was an accident. We don't know jack.

So why, yet again, when we all should have all learned some lessons from the disgraceful way Johns was hung, drawn and quartered on the basis of a shoddy Four Corners report on the ABC, are we threatening to make the same mistakes with Inglis?

It is not time for summary judgments on his guilt or kneejerk reactions, such as the ridiculous suggestion by the Queensland Association of State School Principals that rugby league could be dumped as a school sport.

It is time to give him what every citizen of this country facing a criminal charge is entitled: the presumption of innocence.

Inglis's next court appearance is on August 26. So let's all take in a deep breath and let the justice system do its work. Gossip is not and will never be its surrogate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
honour lol

you accused a woman of lieing and stated something as a fact only to be proven wrong

whether the black eye came from Inglis or botox no one here knows

it is possible that she is telling the truth as botox CAN cause black eyes. FACT

No meaning to be rude guys, but would you be saying this to El Diablo if he wasn't talking to a girl ?

El D has a fair point & Kiki can stand up for herself.

Yes cos he's a f**king merkin rag. Even if he has a fair point, thats no reason to say it in 50 concecutive posts. I couldn't give a f**k who he is arguing with, the fact is he is not going to convice Kiki to change her mind, nor she him so why continue page after page?

Kiki

First Grade
does ED have a sense of humour at all? anyone?

dean shut up or i'll kick you in the nads

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yes cos he's a f**king merkin rag. Even if he has a fair point, thats no reason to say it in 50 concecutive posts. I couldn't give a f**k who he is arguing with, the fact is he is not going to convice Kiki to change her mind, nor she him so why continue page after page?

who are you again?

trying to score on the net?

desperate prick

sting

Bench
lol i can't believe there is a 3 page argument over whether botox can cause black eyes or not.

get over it and move on already!

i don't think we're gonna get any new info any time soon either so it's all kinda pointless

who are you again?

trying to score on the net?

desperate prick

i'm nathanbrown'sghost and i'm better than you. I am happily married thanks but hope you find a man. My STFU wasn't only at you but it is funny that you are the one who thought it was only about you. Pretty much sums you up. You think everything on here is about you, or at least hope. Sad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
well it could've ended by kiki admitting she was wrong instead of continuing to say it was not possible

google news is full of stories about people with black eyes from botox

well it could've ended by kiki admitting she was wrong instead of continuing to say it was not possible

I know EL d. I actually agreed with ya the first time. the other thirty times just sh*t me.

sting

Bench

so you've been furiously googling as much info as possible whilst typing all in an effort to win your argument about whether or not botox can cause black eyes on an internet forum.

awesome

Kiki

First Grade
hahaha yes he has

he even posted a photo of madonna a few pages back. amazing.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i'm nathanbrown'sghost and i'm better than you.

i know you are i said you are but what am i?

are you out of nappies yet?

quit with the primary school insults

I am happily married thanks but hope you find a man.

who caees if you're married :?

and i'm not interested. thanks for the offer though

well it was directly after my post

you obviously have no idea how forums work

Latest posts