What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

kurt faulk

Coach

why are so many people so happy about this news?

rugby league needs players like inglis.

hopefully he is only out for the rest of the year and then he can do some pr work during the offseason to earn reinstatement next season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In relation to the "face of the game" discussion, someone raised a good point on MMM earlier tonight, why do we need a face of the game? Why should we put a player/players on pedestals?

Timmah

Staff member

why are so many people so happy about this news?

rugby league needs players like inglis.

hopefully he is only out for the rest of the year and then he can do some pr work during the offseason to earn reinstatement next season.

Where has anybody expressed true happiness about this? The emotions I can see are frustration, annoyance, anger, disappointment and disillusionment. I don't see happiness. If you count the sarcasm and joke telling as happiness then I think you're missing the point.

For the record, if proven guilty, I don't want him to be earning reinstatement over the off-season. We don't need his kind (if guilty) in our game.

Alex28

Coach
I demand he is dropped for this weekends game for bringing the game in to disrepute.

At least we have a chance of getting within 40 points of them that way...

kurt faulk

Coach

why should rugby league be the only sport in the world to hold their players to such high standards?

what other sport bans players for life for off the field discretions?

sh*t, if the nfl was like the nrl there would be hardly any players left to play the sport.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It has a crapload to do with the game. Thesedays NRL talkback is often full of parents where the wife won't let the kids play NRL because of crap like this. Also its taking alot of money out of the game how many % of women are nrl fans? In AFL it's almost 50%! No wonder they make the league crowds look so bad.

there was an article earlier this year stating league had a bigger female % of followers than AFL

edit:here's the article http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25627241-5003409,00.html

League girls loyal under heavy fire

By Josh Massoud | June 13, 2009 12:00am

Despite the fact that this year's most shocking off-field dramas have involved female victims, a new study has shown that support among women for the NRL is rivalling Aussie rules.

And it has somehow continued to rise in 2009 - defying Brett Stewart's sex assault charges, the Matthew Johns group sex scandal and this week's grubby allegations against ex-Sharks boss Tony Zappia from a former female staffer.

In a major boost for the NRL on the eve of its inaugural Women In League round, researcher Repucom has found that 40.9 per cent of league fans were women at the end of 2008. The two-in-five ratio is just 0.8 per cent less than the gender split recorded in AFL, long suspected to be the most female-friendly football code.

The national poll of 4000 sports fans was conducted by Lynne Anderson, wife of former Australian Test coach Chris Anderson. She admitted rugby league's continued appeal among women was surprising at the end of last season, let alone during the first quarter of 2009 when feminine interest soared another 2 per cent.

"I don't even know how to explain it myself," said Anderson, who polled people across Australia on their attitudes toward different sports. "All I can say is that support among females for rugby league has remained very strong since we started the surveys four years ago. There's definitely a misconception that the AFL is more female-friendly.

"And what's more, our first quarter results for this year have shown that support for women has risen another two percentage points - despite all the controversy."

NRL boss David Gallop interpreted the results as vindication for this weekend's Pink-tinted celebrations.

"It's a reminder that we need to continue to promote positive attitudes towards women because they represent such a critical part of our game's supporter base.

"I think from time to time people would suggest that (AFL is more female-friendly). But our own research shows there's only a very small level of difference. There's no doubt there's a number of women - and men - who lose interest when the game makes headlines for the wrong reasons. But they might not be dropping off at the rate that some people would suggest."

Anderson said specific questioning about the public's attitude towards player misbehaviour showed the fall-out generally centred upon the individual - not his club, code or sponsor.

She also pointed to findings that showed support for Sydney clubs had soared 10 per cent - despite gloomy headlines surrounding their demise because of poker machine taxes and smoking laws.

"The prevalence of talk-back on these issues has actually had a positive effect," she said. "It's made people more passionate."

and what sport are these mothers letting their kids play?

Last edited:

Doggiesfan09

Juniors
People coming out and attacking the NRL less than 2 hours after the incident has become known should give themselves an uppercut. Let justice take its course first, the Storm and/or NRL will act as they see fit at some point in the coming days. Right now it's a matter for the courts.

I know people are upset with him and want to use anything to have a stab at the NRL (sometimes with good reason), but just step back and let the facts come out.

Broncodroid - IMO the "new face of league" should be from people like Jamie Soward, Scotty Prince, Brett Kimmorley, Benny Creagh. Cameron Smith is already tarnished by the QLD brush in regards to the drug allegations (by association whether he was named or not IMO, not suggesting for a moment he was actually involved).

Couldnt you say the same thing bout Kimmorley with the Cronulla rape scandal Timmah

Inferno

Coach
I wonder if he gets the Latu treatment? If its true, this is the test of whether the NRL has the ability to be impartial and show equal treatment to players of all nationalities and abilities.

doubtful, seems the Sharks are the only club to take such decisive action.

Doggiesfan09

Juniors
You're a tool for that comment.. Update me on any criminal activity that Mundine has been involved in?

Hasnt he had known criminal Underworld figures in his corner at his fights, thats not very smart to begin with,but then again we know mundine isnt a bright spark is he

_Johnsy

Referee
I understand that big game isn't the smartest bloke around, based on how he grunts when he attempts to communicate. But f**k me, how thick can this guy be after the off field incidents this year.

I for one will be watching how Melbourne and the NRL handle this one.

Kiki

First Grade

why should rugby league be the only sport in the world to hold their players to such high standards?

sh*t, if the nfl was like the nrl there would be hardly any players left to play the sport.

this is such a bad attitude. how can you defend this sort of behaviour by saying it happens in other sports? forget other sports. its not about them.

I demand he is dropped for this weekends game for bringing the game in to disrepute.

At least we have a chance of getting within 40 points of them that way...

Haha, going to need more than an absent Inglis to get our sorry mob over the line. Ah Knights, we suck :lol:

After every incident the game has been through this year, this still happens. Inglis is a fool if he is found guilty. They have lifestyles where media attention is always going to be a factor but some of the behaviour shown just exasperates it. Not to mention, the critics of the sport will swoop on anything negative about rugby league. The actions of a handful of stupid players not only tarnishes the games reputation but also the players who do the right thing. The players who can settle for having a few beers at home with teammates and avoid drunken rampages. The players who respect women and treat them accordingly. Scott Prince, Matt Bowen and Brett Kimmorley are good examples. I can't understand the motivation behind these acts, especially when you are playing the sport you love at the highest possible level.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member

Are you serious? If you were a high profile person in any field and it was made public you assaulted your significant other, do you really expect your workplace to turn a blind eye? It very clearly reflects on the club (his employer) and the code (to which the club answers) in the public domain. They're within their rights to take action where appropriate.

Spot On

Coach
Can't say I'm 'shocked' by anything in league, nor this report. Please, this is not an attack on any one player or the game - especially not the game. However, the Queenslanders have really let it all hang out since the lead up to Origin 3 though. What next? It's no good for the game or the Storm or the supporters but what the f**k does one have do to stop this stuff? I don't want to hear that it's only a very few who bring league into disripute - you know the "3 out of 500" argument. How many individuals from pre-season to now have engaged in some act that has made headlines and resulted in the player be penalised with loss of contract or other punishment such as fines etc? A fair f**ken few wouldn't you say! Put yourself in Gallop's shoes - what would you do? How do you end this stuff, prevent it from happening again and promote the game the way it should be promoted without frequent misdemeanours poisoning everything you do? I for one am at a loss to suggest a workable solution.

Sleep

Juniors
With the amount of money in the NFL there's good reason why they handle things very differently.