What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Souths fans shouldn't get too excited about signing Inglis, we all know that a contract signed when Mundine and Nasser are involved with a player means absolutely nothing

BranVan3000

Coach
And your list of reasons is no less than the amount of reasons the Storm gave when people said they were cheating. This is a forum, and people can take bits and pieces of information and try to put a puzzle together, but the reality is nobody here has the inside knowledge to say 100% what is and isn't going on.
You're right. But at the same time the wounds of the Storm are still fresh in everybody's mind and I doubt that anybody is cheating with such blatancy at the moment.

You'd also like to hope that GI and his manager have the wits to avoid such a situation again immediately after leaving Melbourne

jc155776

Coach
Bahahahahahahahaha

No money to resign fringe first graders like Luke Capwell but can now find 400k under the cap.

f**king cheats.

Loudstrat

Coach
A lot of great aboriginal player have played for souths. They have a connection with the original owners of this great land and while I don't doubt that money is a factor in all of this, I am glad inside that if anyone picks him up it's souths. That aside I feel for all the younguns at the broncos who would have got super excited to play with inglis only for everything to unfold the way it has but in saying that now maybe the younguns at souths will get that opportunity.

The entire thing has been off since day 1 though. Melbourne have shown their complete lack of professionalism. The Broncos had the right however to cancel the offer, they too are entitled to a decision and dragging things isn't good for business. Inglis ultimately will decide what's best for him, whether it ends up being a good move or not though we will have to wait and see.

So true on both counts, although the Aboriginal link if overdone. Souths happen to have an indigenous enclave at Redfern - and clubs like Parra (the only club to ever have an aboriginal symbol on their emlem), Penrith, Brisbane, NQ, Saints, Balmain, Wests and Newy have had plenty of class indigenous blood on their jerseys. Rusty has made a point of this - although careful because it's not targetting indigenous Ausralians per se, it's targetting "black" kids - hence the black bunny (as out of tradition as having the NSW state of Origin team play in green). His intention was also to target Maori and Islanders - hence the big $ for Asotasi, Vagana and Kidwell.

IMHO the focus on skin colour is racist and dangerous. Potentially. Then again signing a heap of large Pommies from Yorkshire counteracts that.

theres a big financial backer coming in to aid Souths with GI.. he can pay him pretty much whatever he likes..

Its legal and this type of 3rd party deal should be praised.

Legal is a fineline. If a third party agreement means payment that has nothing to do with playing for a certain club, then I wonder how it can be said "If you play for us, we can get sponsorship for you with......" if that player cannot get that sponsorship playing elsewhere. IMHO it's a potential trouble spot in the salary cap, with Ribot's signing of Cam Smith with Foxtel as the background. And don't worry, Parra are at an advantage because of this rule.

A player like Inglis signing fora club like Souths is fantastic for our game. Too long such players have left clubs like Souths to congregate at the money end. I could make up a decent first grade side of Bunnies who left them for gold (varying amounts of course) in my lifetime. Especilly forwards. Terry Hill, Jim Dymock, Les Davidson, Ian Roberts, Ron Coote, John O'Neill, Bob McCarthy, Jim Sedaris, Craig Field, even poor old Mario.

Nothing (apart from Parra thumping Canterbury by 50 in 3 gf's in a row) would be a more welcome scenario for Autralian sport than a South Sydney premiership.

Sadly however, every Inglis movement between clubs has screamed BODGEY so far. Cynics will abound for good reason.

jc155776

Coach
You're right. But at the same time the wounds of the Storm are still fresh in everybody's mind and I doubt that anybody is cheating with such blatancy at the moment.

You'd also like to hope that GI and his manager have the wits to avoid such a situation again immediately after leaving Melbourne

What a load of tripe, Storm were cheating within a few years of the Dogs saga.

LOL @ Soufs trying to be sneaky as f**k.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam not convinced that GI is the Messiah that Souths need. He is a very good athlete but Iam not sure has the skills that Souths need. He has had some quality players inside him at the storm putting him into gap and Iam not sure if Sandow and Sutton will be able to do the same. Bellamy tried him at no6 and he flopped. If I was Souths I would play him at no1.

Also is he the type of player who is going to help bring the young kids along, Iam not sure on that one, GI strikes me as a bit of a loner. Dont get me wrong Gi and Campion would be a strong pairing but I see their problems are around the no6 position

Liddell

Juniors
What a load of tripe, Storm were cheating within a few years of the Dogs saga.

LOL @ Soufs trying to be sneaky as f**k.

You guys can afford him in a few years when your playing out of Adelaide. Anyway he's just a poor mans Dean Collis.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If this was another club I'd be asking how they can fit under the salary cap but there are ways around it and loopholes that are legal. What I will say is that I am 100% confident that someone like Russell Crowe would not want to be associated with cheating and anyone that thinks (and I include the Media in this) that Russell Crowe would put his reputation / credibility on the line are so stupid it's beyond comprehension.

crowe is 100 times more likely to cheat then anyone else. the storm guys that got done will never work in corporate australia again.

if crowe gets caught he'll just shrug his shoulders and go back to making movies at $30mil a pop

rnb11

Juniors
I feel sorry for Inglis, he's destined to flop just like every other star player Rabbitohs have signed over the years. Look at Best, Asotasi, Wesser, Taylor, Wing, Vagana, Crocker, Widders etc, all from hero to zero within 2 seasons wearing the green & red. Every year they get talked up so Im not looking forward to this preseason now Inglis has signed.

If they dont make the 8 next year, theres no more excuses, they're just gonna have to accept the fact their millions have been wasted and hopefully spread their money out a bit more wisely instead of spending 90% of the cap on 3 players. All but a few of their squad are park footballers at best, just look at their backline and halves... also no depth whatsoever.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Its legal and this type of 3rd party deal should be praised.

f**k off should be praised... it is legal rorting. Gallop the farktard bent over for the rich clubs as usual, and has opened a pandoras box that should never have been opened.

Success should be based on having the best administration, the best coaching, developing the best players and putting together the best squad - not who has the best sugar daddy.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
My point is that perception is reality and for every reason a Bunnies fan can give as to why they're not cheating, an opposition fan can give for why they are. It's a pretty circular arguement and I doubt there are too many people here who are privy to enough inside information where they can 100% say either way or not. It's just guesswork/opinion.
Noone except for Crowe, Holmes a Court and Richo would know with 100% certainty if this is a clean deal or not. All of us, those on both sides of the debate, are doing little more than guessing. But having said that, we live in a democracy with a healthy legal system. We believe in innocent until proven guilty, and Souths deserves the presumption of innocence as we have no history of cheating the cap.

Question though - where would Inglis play? I've always thought he was wasted at centre, and no offense to Wesser who's been a great servant to league, but GI would sh*t all over him at fullback.
I think he is at his best at fullback where he can insert himself into the attack anywhere and anytime, rather than at centre where someone as talented as him is suffocated by playing in a corridor. I hope he does have the #1 jersey on his back.

No money to resign fringe first graders like Luke Capwell but can now find 400k under the cap.
They're fringe first graders for a reason mate. We didn't waste money on guys that are a dime a dozen in reserves and toyota cup, that's why we can afford this.

So true on both counts, although the Aboriginal link if overdone. Souths happen to have an indigenous enclave at Redfern - and clubs like Parra (the only club to ever have an aboriginal symbol on their emlem), Penrith, Brisbane, NQ, Saints, Balmain, Wests and Newy have had plenty of class indigenous blood on their jerseys. Rusty has made a point of this - although careful because it's not targetting indigenous Ausralians per se, it's targetting "black" kids - hence the black bunny (as out of tradition as having the NSW state of Origin team play in green). His intention was also to target Maori and Islanders - hence the big $ for Asotasi, Vagana and Kidwell.

IMHO the focus on skin colour is racist and dangerous. Potentially. Then again signing a heap of large Pommies from Yorkshire counteracts that.
Well isn't Rusty a racist anti-white (so he hates himself now?) merkin. I can see how he's so anti-white, signing blokes like Burgess and Taylor and going to the trouble of keeping an inury prone guy like Ben Ross.

You spend a couple of paragraphs basically saying he's biased towards black players and then you reverse what your saying in the last sentence. I think Crowe is professional enough to be after the best players, whether they be black,white,purple or green.

Nothing (apart from Parra thumping Canterbury by 50 in 3 gf's in a row) would be a more welcome scenario for Autralian sport than a South Sydney premiership.
Agreed, it's been too long, and when it finally does come around it'll be a great day, hopefully it's less than 12 months away now.

Sadly however, every Inglis movement between clubs has screamed BODGEY so far. Cynics will abound for good reason.
Haters gonna hate. Everyone can scream BODGEY all day long if they like while we spend next season closer to the top of the ladder than the bottom for a change.
Surely the best Kiwi plays for the Tigers.
Benji is to Isaac Luke the same way Hayne is to Inglis. IMO Benji at his best is the best kiwi player on the planet. But he's not on his day often enough to be better than Luke. Luke's average is better than Benji's average while Benji might be better 1 game in 5.

Same with Hayne and Inglis. At his best Hayne is the best player on the planet, but IMO he only plays better than Inglis 1 game in 5.

crowe is 100 times more likely to cheat then anyone else. the storm guys that got done will never work in corporate australia again.

if crowe gets caught he'll just shrug his shoulders and go back to making movies at $30mil a pop
That's ridiculous. He's a hands on owner, cheating would ruin the club he's put millions into, it would kill the strong membership base he's built, it wouldn't be worth it at all.

Last edited:

NAS

Juniors
f**k off should be praised... it is legal rorting. Gallop the farktard bent over for the rich clubs as usual, and has opened a pandoras box that should never have been opened.

Success should be based on having the best administration, the best coaching, developing the best players and putting together the best squad - not who has the best sugar daddy.

Umm, no.

The reason is because that to stop a bloke earning money like that is illegal.

Unfortunately other teams are going to have to figure out a way to match the broncos rabbitohs and roosters. Remember where souths were 5 years ago...

I feel sorry for Inglis, he's destined to flop just like every other star player Rabbitohs have signed over the years. Look at Best, Asotasi, Wesser, Taylor, Wing, Vagana, Crocker, Widders etc, all from hero to zero within 2 seasons wearing the green & red. Every year they get talked up so Im not looking forward to this preseason now Inglis has signed.

If they dont make the 8 next year, theres no more excuses, they're just gonna have to accept the fact their millions have been wasted and hopefully spread their money out a bit more wisely instead of spending 90% of the cap on 3 players. All but a few of their squad are park footballers at best, just look at their backline and halves... also no depth whatsoever.

Out of all the players you named only two fit into Inglis's category. ie. still with plenty of years ahead of them. Asotasi & Taylor.

Asotasi has been ordinary for a couple of years , Taylor on the other hand just had his best year ever.

macavity

Referee

great argument there champ.

either raise the cap, or if we are going to play silly games like this, abolish it. but don't put all this counter-intuitive bs in place to maintain some illusion of a level playing field, when nothing of the sort now exists.

Mortar

Juniors
Do any fans really want a player who is infected by that f**kwit of a disease Mundine?

Status
Not open for further replies.