What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Bluey lost the team?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
yeah, they've also just fired out a press release.

can he tackle? because we'd need another 12 if he can.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He won't offer anything that Luck didn't already bring. He'll tackle, take a few average but not terrible hit ups, and hopefully add some experience.

I thought he was certainly not given the credit he deserved for the Eels 09 run and felt the Storm picked up a good bargain by nabbing him.

He won't add anything skillwise, but the added experience is nice.

Rich102

Staff member
Anyone see Iro out there. He looked totally lost.
And Manu as captain. Did he even say anything? Oh, I forgot. It's an honarary role.
This whole season is a bad, bad joke.

Rich102

Staff member
THE Warriors' deflated NRL season can be burst by North Queensland tonight but players and management are standing firm behind first-year coach Brian McClennan.

A loss to the Cowboys in Townsville will see last year's beaten grand finalists shut out of playoff contention with three rounds remaining.
McClennan this week told reporters he would give his 13th-placed side a rating of just five-out-of-10 for their progress and achievements.
And former Warriors coach Tony Kemp believed that McClennan would be shown the exit door next season if they under-perform to the same extent.
Warriors captain Manu Vatuvei defended McClennan despite the side's current four-match losing streak, capped by a 41-point embarrassment against Cronulla last Sunday.
It hadn't reduced the team's faith in the 50-year-old, who tasted success in stints as coach of the Kiwis and then with UK Super League club Leeds.

"Bluey has the respect of everyone here," Vatuvei said.
"He has a great record and a lot of things have gone against him at times this year. It would be easy for him to lose his composure but he's still holding it together and making sure these past games don't affect how we play."

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the Warriors were still undergoing a "mid-season review" which was more in-depth than normal. It had examined the high injury count and the team's propensity to lose matches from winnable positions.

"Bluey would be the first to admit we've not achieved the goals we set at the start of the year," Scurrah said.
"But it's unfair to point the finger at Bluey alone. He's part of a team.
"We haven't talked about him stepping down and he hasn't offered to step down."McClennan expected questions about his aptitude to coach in the NRL but said that he wouldn't change his methods.
"That's part of the business," he said.
"I consider myself to be a pretty resilient character.
"I believe in my ideals and my philosophies of how football teams should function and I just need to keep working away at that.
"I don't like where we are. This week we've just got to circle the wagons and fight our way out of it.
"An ugly win is better than a pretty loss."
The injury-plagued Warriors are firm outsiders to beat the sixth-placed Cowboys in today's encounter.
They haven't won in Townsville since the grand final-reaching team of 2002 triumphed 50-20.
Vatuvei said his teammates had moved on from last week's Sharks humbling.
"After that game the boys were pretty shattered about the scoreline," the Warriors skipper said. "We just need to bring some pride back into the team."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-brian-mcclennan/story-e6frfgbo-1226447824623

Another review? Yeah right!

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd say the review recomendations will be to produce more average Warriors juniors and to give more jobs around the club to former Warrior players. Oh and surely in media releases and when the CEO is talking about him he shouldn't be referred to as 'Bluey'.

ozenzud

Juniors
Alan Mac on radio sport this morning is saying that Bluey has lost the team. Mac is usually one to put a positive spin on things.....jesus, how bad must it be.

Warmess

Juniors
Owen Glenn has money and he seems really keen on spending it. One area he can really splash out and make a huge difference to the side is the coach. Lets hope he's as frank as he is in interviews and gives Blueless the boot. Anything less than Blueless disappearing from anything related to the Warriors franchise is complete and utter failure.

Micistm

Bench
Owen Glenn has money and he seems really keen on spending it. One area he can really splash out and make a huge difference to the side is the coach. Lets hope he's as frank as he is in interviews and gives Blueless the boot. Anything less than Blueless disappearing from anything related to the Warriors franchise is complete and utter failure.

i have been swaying on that, and thought he deserved a second season. But the decline has been so dramatic and swift, and extreme, yes, its time to call time of death on it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If Brian McClennan survives the summer as Warriors coach, he says players can expect a torturous pre-season working on their concentration under fatigue.

McClennan admitted after Saturday night's 52-12 NRL defeat to North Queensland he was ready for any personal ramifications that might come his way after the 2011 grand finalists dipped out of the finals race.

He agreed losing consecutive games after leading Newcastle then Manly 18-0 had left his men dispirited but stressed that was no excuse for conceding 97 points over their next two starts, against Cronulla and the Cowboys.

"Our concentration of staying in each game has been poor - that's the reason," McClennan reflected.

"We have to work and finish the season with a bit of pride, which is what we're aiming to do.

"Next year, in the off-season, pre-season, we're going to have to work a lot harder on being able to concentrate in the game.

"That's through conditioning - physical conditioning and mental conditioning and making sure we become a tougher team."

McClennan said his side's consistency needs to get better after a season in which they've clocked off and squandered handy leads.

"I think in general, we've been too inconsistent in our form - through games and throughout the season," he said.

"There have been periods, like the period against Manly, to get out to 18-0 playing some really good football - then we slacken off with 30 seconds to go (in the half) and let them back in.

"It's happened in a few games."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8514964

Ahh the good old "torturous off season" threat. No doubt that will lead to the usual pre-season puff pieces about how it was the toughest off season ever and everyone is ready for a big one to turn last season around.

blain

Juniors
Alan Mac on radio sport this morning is saying that Bluey has lost the team. Mac is usually one to put a positive spin on things.....jesus, how bad must it be.

Wow, as you said, Mac is always the one standing up for the coach and under performing players.. If he says he's lost the team, he has.

I'll be tuning into Radiosport tomorrow morning!!

I've always stayed out of the Bluey debate, but when rumours start flying around about the players being un happy and our stars leaving the club, something has to be done. Id rather see Bluey f*ck off before Mateo, Packer and Locke.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yes, that sounds like a man who's job is on the line and is telling the powers that be what they want to hear

Those were my thoughts as well.

Next week could be the clincher. If Cleary marches back to Mt Smart and the lowly placed Panthers bitchslap us on our own turf it'll be night night Bluey imo (if it isn't already).

Rich102

Staff member
I liked the summary of his half-time speech yesterday.
(Remember they were 22 - 6 down, had completed 10/17 sets and missed 22 tackles.)
Gasnier:
" He told the boys to remain positive.
If possession swings they can win this.
They must start getting serious in defence.
The season is on the line right now."

Inspiring stuff. (They went on to lose 52 -12. Completing 16/31 sets and missing 49 tackles.)

I have heard more serious episodes of the Muppet Show.
Maybe the players mistake him for Kermit.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Remain positive? What positivity did he see? Our first set of six was decent, but then the Cowboys got the ball and it was game over.

Latest posts