What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne fires a shot at Gallop

hutch

First Grade
Why does SBW always get mentioned when the Salary Cap comes up??

His departure had nothing to do with it.

yes it did. the salary cap was restricting the amount of money he could and should be earning, so he left for more cash.

rugby league players are ridiculously underpaid comapred to fellow sports. i dont understand how our admin could allow players to be payed less now than they were 10 years ago. a marquee player system and concessions for long serving players is a must. we are the biggest domestic rugby comp on earth and we are starting to be regarded as a feeder comp.

hutch

First Grade
But Hayne said fellow elite players

Talk about overrating yourself

Hayne you are overrated you only played 6-9 games and only excel against weak defensive teams and teams didnt play thier best, Hayne you failed for the first 14 rounds , you failed at 5/8 you failed at centre
hayne you arent a play maker, you were the worst eels player at the beginning of the year

Until you can perform against the better teams then you may talk

hayne is an elite player of our comp. you are talking sh*t.

jk13

First Grade
yeah, you're totally right again gaba, and it was all due to the easy run the eels had at the end of the year :lol:

hutch

First Grade
Was thinking the same. To see a nuffy like Gower alongside names such as Gasnier and SBW is laughable!

the nrl would be a much stronger comp if players such as gower hadnt of left for more money. yes we have a lot of juniors who come through and take the place of players such as gasnier, sbw and gower, but our games still suffers from losing the marquee players.

johns_reds

First Grade
I'll be interested to see how he goes this year, so much hype surrounding him, i don't think he'll be able to back it up and go a level higher like Greg Inglis has, i think he'll be more a billy slater, touches of brillance along side of touches of brain explosions because of the pressure put on him.

babyg

Juniors
And the free advertising of the game that comes with relaxing of the rules. There still should be some conditions attributed to 3rd party sponsors (must appear in print or TV advertising at least once per 50K of sponsorship). The NRL just needs to learn to make it work for the good of the game.

Totally agree with that

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
But Hayne said fellow elite players

Talk about overrating yourself

Hayne you are overrated you only played 6-9 games and only excel against weak defensive teams and teams didnt play thier best, Hayne you failed for the first 14 rounds , you failed at 5/8 you failed at centre
hayne you arent a play maker, you were the worst eels player at the beginning of the year

Until you can perform against the better teams then you may talk

Coming from a Dragons fan is a bit rich.. He made your mob look like a bunch of nuffies.. Whilst the Eels will go from strength to strength in 2010 I think the Saints will struggle to make the 8 now that teams have worked out that apart from Brett Morris there is little talent in your backline and your pack is only a little above average.

Jankuloski

Juniors
I don't know what's the "he has to work for the game" getting at when I clearly remember an ad on the NRL website saying: "Three more days to catch jarryd Hayne against the Bulldogs".

People my like him or not, but he is a reason why many asses are on the seats.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lot of money for a player who only really came good last season. I hope he turns out to be worth it with the $'s over a long period.

jyoung2

Juniors
Despite all the negative talk here about Haynes, I'm glad he resigned with the NRL. May not be a marquee player just yet as Lockyer, Thurston or Ingliss, but may well prove to be in the coming years.

Not that I'm a fan of the bloke, but he's loyalty to the game is obvious to me. To say he is just doing it to bump up his asking price next time is rubbish. The guy is taking a huge risk if that were the case. Waiting 4 years to bump up your price, anything could happen. Loss of form, injury that permanently impedes his progress or ends his career. Who knows, 4 years is along time in sport.

Personally I think he had a great year as a player, apart from not so good at start of year. Even as a full-blooded Broncos supporter I still have to admit that.

Also NSW need him badly and firing at origin time as I feel he was the only player they had that stopped the series being a complete embarrassment to them. Without him they may as well do the presentation to Qld for their 5th straight series win now. As a Qld supporter, I still don't want to see a completely one-sided origin series.

We need more guys like him at Origin level for NSW or the whole concept will die. We need a competitive Origin and he can help deliver that at least.

As for the need for the NRL to look at third-party sponsers, Haynes is spot on. Allow them to earn more and let us keep our great players. They may be replaceable, but why let ARL or Union have any of them, when we could have the lot and really showcase what a great sport League is.:D

Just my 2 cents worth, even if you don't agree.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Gee, I wonder how he made all those origin and test sides before last year, PR you A grade nunce.

Hayne has TWICE shown his loyalty to his club by taking unders. The first time he took a reduced fee so Parra could re-sign Krisnan Inu. This time he took less that his biggest offer to stay. That's class.

Compare that to the noises that Thurston is making.

Onya Jarryd. You are all class!

Last edited:

The Tank

Bench
Gee, I wonder how he made all those origin and test sides before last year, PR you A grade nunce.

Hayne has TWICE shown his loyalty to his club by taking unders. The first time he took a reduced fee so Parra could re-sign Krisnan Inu. This time he took less that his biggest offer to stay. That's class.

Compare that to the noises that Thurston is making.

Onya Jarryd. You are all class!

Gotta agree. Onya Jarryd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
anybody come up with a good reason yet why there shouldn't be one or two marquee players per club that sit outside the salary cap?

Perth Red

Post Whore

not saying he isn't a good player but this salary puts him up with the very top players in the NRL. I'm sure he will prove to be worth it as long as Parra keep playing an off the cuff style of football but it is a big investment on their part in him. Agreed it is good to see some loyalty for a change to the game.