What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

Shorty

Staff member
Unfortunately yes I think if fair is fair he should be suspended, which sucks because of the timing.
I do agree with Raider, how are you supposed to stop, jump over Bryson? I don't know there is a grey area but leading with your knees can do a heap of damage.

Glenn

First Grade
Oh get off it, really! What next, pigs fly? Clutching at straws by definition that explanation.

The only acceptable ways he could have been in the vicinity was to stay up and go over the top of Goodwin or go in upper body first and try to get his hands under the ball.

Stay up and go over the top, not a option considering Hayne had made a decison to prevent the try, what is he meant to do in a
split second change his whole body position and jump over him??

Going in upper body first, wouldn't have got him under the player, "might" have seen him go touch in goal.

gronkathon

First Grade
Gibbs was facing a two week ban with an early plea.

I think Hayne's incident is on par.

He will be lucky to see a charge though as he has been shown on camera at least 4 times in the last 6 weeks striking a player on the ground with his elbow and has not been charged.

What will at least be amusing is Hadley, who screamed that Gibbs should have been sent off because any contact from the knees to a prone player is a "dog act", defending Hayne and talking about what a tradgedy it was he was even penalised

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
It would be a pity of Hayne missed the GF, but Cam Smith might have something to say if he got let off.

From memory though, when Gibbs put the knees into Burt the other week, I think Burt had been running the ball and was just diving over for the try.

Last night, the ball was loose and Goodwin grabbed it on his way down, and Hayne was effectively racing him for the ball, and only had a split second then to go from that to defence.

If my recollection of the Burt/Gibbs incident is right, I reckon that's a pretty fundamental difference between the two.

The General

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I remember Gibbs came from behind the player and dropped the knees into his back after he had already dived over. I don't think Haynes was as bad as he was coming across to try and stop the try and got his knees in a bad position. I think Hayne has more of an excuse for leading with the knees as he had more of a chance of stopping the try. I'd say Grade 1 and he won't miss the GF.

gronkathon

First Grade
Actually the evidence the Tigers showed the judiciary that if Burt had not twisted and rolled towards Gibbs after scoring than Gibbs's knees were highly unlikely to even make contact with Burt.

I thought he was guilty until I saw the footage and that explanation.

The moral to the story is if you are sliding in with knees look the other way to remove the idea of intent

ironhorse

Juniors
thing is he has just fallen into the player with his knees , he made no effort with his arms ,torso or upper body or any genuine attempt at the ball ... it was dirty play and as mentioned not the first time he has been seen doing it .

ironhorse

Juniors
For all those wondering the Gibbs into Burt is available over at nrl.com in the video section ... about the 30 min mark first half ... once you see it compared to Haynes you will see the nrl judiciary have backed themselves into a corner on this one. When you consider Cam Smith last year it would be unjust to let him play because its the GF .

bluey

Bench
I thought the keating chichiken wing was far worse,IMO there was no intent in it so i would let him play common sense should prevail.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep, common sense is letting players leading with feet and knees to escape punishment :clap: Intent or not, a suspension is warranted.

Glenn

First Grade
Why not works for Thurston, it was a split second incident clumsy yes, intentional no.

still can't see how anybody can say it's similar to the Gibbs one on Burt.
It's completely different and Gibbs had carryover pts and a bad record thats why he got 3 weeks.
Gibbs was also late and from behind with no chance of stopping a try and was lucky not to be sent off.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why not works for Thurston, it was a split second incident clumsy yes, intentional no.
Intent has nothing to do with it. He was stupid enough to lead with his legs, he deserves punishment.
still can't see how anybody can say it's similar to the Gibbs one on Burt.
It's completely different and Gibbs had carryover pts and a bad record thats why he got 3 weeks.
Gibbs was also late and from behind with no chance of stopping a try and was lucky not to be sent off.
Gibbs got three weeks due to carryover - yes. Hayne without carryover should get 1-2.
As for Hayne - he was in late too, and came in from the side leading with his legs & feet, before tucking them under and leading with the knee. Intentional or not - he did it.
Thurston led with his foot he was very lucky not to be out for a few weeks, lucky there wasn't a serious injury really.
Thurston not being suspended is one of the great mysteries of RL in 2009.

Glenn

First Grade
Timmah what part of split second don't you grasp, you can not be suspended for something you can not avoid.
But of course if it was the other way around with Goodwin on report for the same incident, you would be defending him to the hilt.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Hayne must be suspended or the judiciary is exposed as farcial.

Too late - Thurston's "charge" for kicking that poor reserve grader in the face already achieved that.

Should beat least a grade 2 - he brought his knee through to hit Goodwin - but I'll wager anything he gets a grade 1 and, with no carryover points, plays next weekend. Hayne knows what B Stewart & Inglis didn't: When you're the media's darling, you can get away with anything on the field, not off it.

Latest posts