What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
The thing I don't understand is why any neutral would want him to miss the GF?

Personally, I do not think he should be charged. Running towards Goodwin at full speed, he cannot disappear. It was just a bad accident, and he doesn't deserve to miss a GF for that

It's a suspension any day of the week and twice on Sunday except for:

Before Grand Finals
Before Origins (particularly if you're from NSW)
Before Test Matches if you're representing Australia
Unless you're cutie and you are having a "trip"

As for "he cannot disappear", why does he go to his knees? Why doesn't he stay upright and try and jump over Goodwin? Or why doesn't he dive himself with his upper body leading in? Any of those ways and its not a suspension. He took a path that is frowned upon heavily in the NRL (unless you're Billy Slater).

voltron

Juniors
i hope he doesnt miss it
because it would be a sad game if he did
go the biased judiciary!!

I have just watched the footage for the first time...this is a tricky one. My first thoughts were why did he not jump over Goodwin ??...I don't feel that he was falling and he may be in a bot of trouble with it.

Iafeta

Referee
I have just watched the footage for the first time...this is a tricky one. My first thoughts were why did he not jump over Goodwin ??...I don't feel that he was falling and he may be in a bot of trouble with it.

Agreed. If he stays on his feet and jumps Goodwin there's no issues whatsoever. It was a silly play to drop to the knees.

Glenn

First Grade
It's a suspension any day of the week and twice on Sunday except for:

Before Grand Finals
Before Origins (particularly if you're from NSW)
Before Test Matches if you're representing Australia
Unless you're cutie and you are having a "trip"

As for "he cannot disappear", why does he go to his knees? Why doesn't he stay upright and try and jump over Goodwin? Or why doesn't he dive himself with his upper body leading in? Any of those ways and its not a suspension. He took a path that is frowned upon heavily in the NRL (unless you're Billy Slater).

He doesn't stay up right because he was going down trying to prevent a try, while coming across at at speed and doesn't have time to react to change his path and jump over him.
Why he went in the way he did, probably to try and get under the player and hold him up, if he went in upper body first it would more be a attempt to push him over the touch in goal rather hold him up in goal.

Chook Herron

Juniors
I reckon the NRL will charge him with a Grade 1 dropping of the knees to shut the wowsers up. He'll get off with no carry over points and everybody can move on.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Looking at that ...What the hell is Eric Grothe Jnr's intentions?

Im a Eels fan and i saw it on FSN Express last night and i thought there was nothing in it, Looking at again there is still nothing in it!!

Hayne has no carry over points anyway and will play in the GF.

Loudstrat

Coach
Hayne seems so good because players hang off him. If I had half an hour to pick what to do, I think I'd pick the right option as well. His execution is great, but if he has no time that all falls down the drain.

Hayne is "overrated" by the opposition, if they just go up to him and hit him solidly, he won't do much.

:lol:
Clubs have been trying to do that for 10 weeks.

The General

Juniors
I'm a Dogs fan and I don't think he should be suspended. It was a split second decision and I don't think he had time to pull out of it. Considering Thurston got off for kicking someone in the face, Hayne shouldn't miss a GF for that.

But it will be interesting to see what the Storm come out and say if they win today after what happened with Cameron Smith last year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Suspension is the only fair outcome. Tigers fans are and should be upset if he gets off given Gibbs' treatment, and this was worse. His defence of "I tucked my feet in" is rubbish - he could've done anything else instead of going knees-first.

Evenflow

Bench
He stated clearly after the game he was going for the ball attempting to stop a try. What was he trying to stop it with? His knees were the only part of him remotely near the ball. His hands certainly weren't which you'd think would be the best part of stopping a try.

Agreed. If he stays on his feet and jumps Goodwin there's no issues whatsoever. It was a silly play to drop to the knees.

Agree Iafeta. Did not see your first post but it looks intentional. The guy is athletic enough to avoid the collision by jumping over him.

He slid in with a hint of intent IMO and it should be considered in this aspect.

As for "he cannot disappear", why does he go to his knees? Why doesn't he stay upright and try and jump over Goodwin? Or why doesn't he dive himself with his upper body leading in?

Exactly right.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read this whole thread, but I want everyone to have a look at the replay of Burt's try in the corner - look what Hazem did. He dove head first to try and strip the ball / knock Burt into touch. That is how a fullback should attempt to stop a try such as that.

As a fan of the game, I don't want him suspended as the GF would be lacklustre without him ... but as a fan of consistency, he deserves to be suspended.

Last edited:

Agent Mulder

Bench
Bryce Gibbs tucked his feet in...

Oh here we go, Now its clowns like you trying to find any excuse to suspend Hayne, Face it the better team won on the night, Hayne went in with his thigh and fell over the top of the player.

Try watching it again.

f**king hell some Tiger fans are so bitter.

Iafeta

Referee
He doesn't stay up right because he was going down trying to prevent a try, while coming across at at speed and doesn't have time to react to change his path and jump over him.
Why he went in the way he did, probably to try and get under the player and hold him up, if he went in upper body first it would more be a attempt to push him over the touch in goal rather hold him up in goal.

Oh get off it, really! What next, pigs fly? Clutching at straws by definition that explanation.

The only acceptable ways he could have been in the vicinity was to stay up and go over the top of Goodwin or go in upper body first and try to get his hands under the ball.

Slick

Juniors
Am I missing something here?

Hayne may have 'lead' with his knees but they didn't connect, it was his thigh that impacted. His knees hit nothing.

It wasn't intentional, as in he didn't mean to cause harm. He plays next week, simple.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
His knees hit nothing? :lol:!!!!!!!!!!

Take the blue and gold goggles off. Goodwin wouldn't have spent the follow 70 minutes in la-la land had the thighs hit.