What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

hellteam

First Grade
Does anyone have a video of the Gibbs suspension? Would like to see it again to compare the two.

aspiring

Juniors
I disagree, Gibbs seemed intentional. A mind snap.

I just watched it on Foxsportsnews, and no. Goodwin grounded the ball and Hayne delibratly AFTER the ball was placed dived at him with his knees. Exactly the same as Gibbs. This guys GF dream is over. Unless the NRL has a word to the Judiciary that he is next years poster boy and let him off.

Delboy

First Grade
If he gets charged, then we should see Slater charged every game, don't think it deserves more than a grade 1 "be careful" warning.

Hannant should get an Oscar, him and Lockyer deserve each other, it was an accident and he went for a cheap penalty, very surprised at his action and the video ref , looked like something that happens in a 100 tackles.

Game_Breaker

Coach
If he gets charged, then we should see Slater charged every game, don't think it deserves more than a grade 1 "be careful" warning.

Hannant should get an Oscar, him and Lockyer deserve each other, it was an accident and he went for a cheap penalty, very surprised at his action and the video ref , looked like something that happens in a 100 tackles.

Yeah mate

Thats why Hannant had to come off and they needed to needle him to get him back out there

In future, just stfu when you got no idea

Gibbs hit was late after Burt had already scored, Hayne was sliding in the stop a try being scored, his thigh brushed the side of goodwins head.
Grade 1, early plea, 87 carryover points.

Hari Kari

Juniors
That picture reminds me of the move from the "Happy Days" demolition derby episode.

"The Malachi Crunch."

Bad form for a devoted Christian, tsk tsk. :lol:

typicalfan

Coach
I think in those incidents unless it is intentional the 8 point try is penalty enough imo.

People who can't see the point of view of trying to get to a defender realising your late and then tumbling into the tackled player just don't understand the dynamics of the game.

It would be disappointing if he was rubbed out of the GF for that.

A huge difference to the Bryce Gibbs one where he came in from behind and who has a record already.

Hari Kari

Juniors
Infact looking at that picture I'd say if Jared Hayne did attempt to turn it was only because he was worried he might cork Eric Grothe who was attempting to pull off a similar low class act.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I disagree, Hayne will get off.

Gibbs flopped onto Burt's back whereas Hayne was taking evasive action.

Remember you can not disappear.

Bubbles

Exactly. Burt was already on the ground, whereas Goodwin was diving low. You could clearly see Hayne making an effort not to knee him. As others have said, Hayne couldn't turn into mist suddenly by force of will and it was reasonable for him to be trying to knock Goodwin into touch. Burt was going to score regardless of Gibbs' action, which were in all ways pointless ... and LATE.

aspiring

Juniors
Gibbs hit was late after Burt had already scored, Hayne was sliding in the stop a try being scored, his thigh brushed the side of goodwins head.
Grade 1, early plea, 87 carryover points.

Watch the slo mos mate. Look at some photos in this thread. The ball was down BEFORE Hayne decided to use his knees. And regardless if he was trying to stop a try you CANNOT use your knees. And if you think it was his thigh, you are kidding me :crazy:

I wanted Parra to win. Now all i need is some EPL games to get up to collect $890. But i know a dog act when i see it. And he will be Gooooone. I do expect Parra fans to defend him. He is your Lockyer, your Johns. But as an outsider its not looking good.

shiznit

Coach
he can aim his legs at the ball, that is all.
no. im pretty sure you cant lead with your lower legs at all. whether you hit the ball or not... you will be penalised.
If he throws the leg in before he has hold of the player then it is tripping, irregardless of whether that player falls or not,which is straight to the showers and have a few weeks.
To slide in legs first was knocked on the head when Slater tried it last year, you remember when he nailed Stewart with his boot studs?\
Its a dog act.
yup... you just proved my above point. leading with your lower legs isnt allowed. whether you get the ball or not.
so with that in mind... what is he supposed to do.... its too late for no contact to be made... so he needs to decide in a split second what to do.

As I said before and I will say it again, you have arms, shoulders and a torso, you are entitled to throw then at anywhere on the opposing players body so long as it is below the neckline.
thats where i have the problem... the whole reason this is a big deal is because contact was made with young bryson's head.

now... if hayne leads with his upperbody ... his head... his shoulder... his forearm... his elbow... are all in a position where they can cause the same result.

if he leads with lowerbody his knee and his feet can cause problems.

if any of those things make contact with bryson's head there going to cause damage. even if its accidental... its going to cause damage because as we all know the head is vulnerable.

however... if hayne makes contact with bryson's shoulder or his side... the chances of it hurting bryson will drop dramatically... the kid just gets up... walks away and we dont hear boo about it.

leading with the upperbody or lowerbody.... it makes no difference... if contact with the head is made its going to do the same thing.

its just one of those unfortunate things that can happen sometimes.

Footy-Fan

Juniors
I just watched it on Foxsportsnews, and no. Goodwin grounded the ball and Hayne delibratly AFTER the ball was placed dived at him with his knees. Exactly the same as Gibbs. This guys GF dream is over. Unless the NRL has a word to the Judiciary that he is next years poster boy and let him off.

I see something totally different, & I'm really trying to look at it unbiased. In such a short amount of time, there is really nothing you can do when you've pretty much committed at that speed. He was trying to get under the ball, just like he, along with many other players, such as Slater, have done before. It came off poorly, but it was definitely not deliberate, nor was it very late. You see players all the time lunging from further away & landing on the try scorer after they have scored.

Again, I'll bring up Hasim El Masri, who came in much later on Burts try, though head first, into Burts thigh. Burt was pissed over it, & Masri hurt himself. The reason he went in head first is he was much further away then Hayne, who couldn't have dived in at such a short distance (especially when he was trying to hold the ball up, not knock him over the sideline), without risking a head clash.

Last edited:

Glen

Bench
So NRL.com is saying a grade 1 would avoid suspension (no carryover points). Does anyone know if Gibbs was grade 2 or 3? I know he got an extra week for contesting the charge.

typicalfan

Coach
The big deal started when Billy Slater used to slide in with both legs aiming at the ball and usually getting it horribly wrong. This is very different, the ball is placed down as Hayne is lowering his body and contact was inevitable particularly with Goodwin that low. It was unfortunate as Goodwin was dazed from the contact but those collisions happen in our sport.

I am not a Parra supporter, that is just what i think is fair, not based on incidents earlier in the year, but based on that incident alone, there are so many factors that make this situation different to others like th Bryce Gibbs one.

I don't think it was a dog act at all, penalty sufficient imo and a low grading if he is a clean skin.

Loudstrat

Coach
Reading Aspiring's drivel, one thing is for sure.

Parra is the tall poppy. And tall poppy syndromse is alive and well.

How about a trhead about Hannent's milk -as evidenced when he used the injured arm to shove Hindy. :lol: