What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston busted for drugs

Johns Magic

Referee
You guys acting like he's some awesome player who will be hard to replace long-term must be watching a different game to me...

antonius

Coach
You guys acting like he's some awesome player who will be hard to replace long-term must be watching a different game to me...
Exactly.
As for him going to another club, it's reported in todays herald (no link I'm affraid page 77.)
If they are convicted both Wicks and Houston will face 4 year bans from playing any professional sport, anywhere in the world by the World Anti Doping Association.

Exactly.
As for him going to another club, it's reported in todays herald (no link I'm affraid page 77.)
If they are convicted both Wicks and Houston will face 4 year bans from playing any professional sport, anywhere in the world by the World Anti Doping Association.

Fantastic.

After a year or so of laying bricks or pulling beers it might hit them what deadsh*ts they've been to the community in general as well as the knights.

Jono078

Referee

The only way his loss could be our gain is if Paterson grabs the starting position and really kicks off and plays to his potential.

And I think we'll see that this year, so it's still exciting.

Alex28

Coach
So yes, as I said earlier he, and anyone else who have broken the Knights code of conduct can piss off now.
It's becoming harder to disagree with this...however I don't see why another club should benefit from us sacking him. Which they will when the court action pans out this year and he isn't jailed...

B-dos

Referee
It's becoming harder to disagree with this...however I don't see why another club should benefit from us sacking him. Which they will when the court action pans out this year and he isn't jailed...

alex has pretty much nailed it

its impossible to disagree with antonius that we need to turf him for breaking our code of conduct. thats 100% correct

the part that rubs us all up the wrong way is the likelihood of him being snapped up by another club and them getting the benefit of something which has cost the club hugely in goodwill and probably financially

id be interested to see what type of clauses we put in contracts for these things in future if they arent in there already.

cram

Bench
You know what will be will be in all of this. Realistically I always thought that someone else was going to get a start in all of this. It was always going to be unlikely that Wicks was the only one invovled in all of this and in general terms if you lived with someone who was allegedly involved in supplying drugs the chances of you being caught up in the whole affair was highly likely.

antonius

Coach
alex has pretty much nailed it

its impossible to disagree with antonius that we need to turf him for breaking our code of conduct. thats 100% correct

the part that rubs us all up the wrong way is the likelihood of him being snapped up by another club and them getting the benefit of something which has cost the club hugely in goodwill and probably financially

id be interested to see what type of clauses we put in contracts for these things in future if they arent in there already.
See my post above. If they are convicted (found guilty) they face a 4 year ban from all proffesional sport by the World Anti Doping Association. They don't have to be jailed just found guilty of trafficking.
Frankly I personally don't care if he did go to another club, the bloke has done untold damage to our club, a club I've supported since 1988.

Last edited:

B-dos

Referee
id be more than satisfied with that outcome

id be very unhappy if he was not convicted and so allowed to join another club which is a very real risk.

Serc

First Grade
Well, this thread is becoming quite the roller coaster in opinion and emotion isn't it...

My first reaction was 'what a dog for lying to us last year', then had a think about things including the differences between this and Wicks etc etc

Also thought about all the other clubs out there who have had even bigger star players caught up in just as much trouble, how they seem to get away with keeping them after weathering the storm for a few weeks/months. This game is just as much a business as it is anything else, so why should we boot a handy player when other clubs haven't done it either?

So I'm not sure what to think now really...

antonius

Coach
Well, this thread is becoming quite the roller coaster in opinion and emotion isn't it...

My first reaction was 'what a dog for lying to us last year', then had a think about things including the differences between this and Wicks etc etc

Also thought about all the other clubs out there who have had even bigger star players caught up in just as much trouble, how they seem to get away with keeping them after weathering the storm for a few weeks/months. This game is just as much a business as it is anything else, so why should we boot a handy player when other clubs haven't done it either?

So I'm not sure what to think now really...

Because we have a code of conduct that he broke, if he gets away with it, then you may as well tear it up. I'm sure our sponsors would love that.

Serc

First Grade
Yes he is one of the players I had in mind, Mr GI is another (who even remembers what happened last year? lol)

Edit: Yeah I know about the code of conduct etc etc...but Manly/Storm/Broncos/Roosters (and others) seem to get away with doing differently and they don't lose sponsors!!! Just throwing around all of whats going on in my mind right now...including the fact that 'no player is bigger than the club' etc

arghhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
According to SMH both Wicks and Houston - if found guilty - will likely be banned from playing by WADA for 4 years...so whether he resigns or not, Houston would most likely be out of the game until 2015 any way...

Knightmare

Coach
Yes he is one of the players I had in mind, Mr GI is another (who even remembers what happened last year? lol)

Edit: Yeah I know about the code of conduct etc etc...but Manly/Storm/Broncos/Roosters (and others) seem to get away with doing differently and they don't lose sponsors!!! Just throwing around all of whats going on in my mind right now...including the fact that 'no player is bigger than the club' etc

arghhhhhhhh

Samsung dropped the Roosters largely because of the clusterf**k of a season they had last year.

Serc

First Grade
Yes indeed Knightmare, but you know what I mean...

But seriously I have no idea what to think - but I guess with the 4 year ban thing we have no choice...

cram

Bench
This thread has followed the normal emontional roller coaster that is associated with "grief". If we accept that we all love our team then it is not unusual that news of this magnitude would follow those same stages.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally acceptance.