What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston busted for drugs

cram

Bench
I am just goint to talk in general terms here about the offence of supply as I have no idea of the details related to the case involving the aforementioned players.

Supply of drugs is an offence under the NSW Statutes the definition of supply is wide as is the definition of sell under the Act.

"supply" includes sell and distribute, and also includes agreeing to supply, or offering to supply, or keeping or having in possession for supply, or sending, forwarding, delivering or receiving for supply, or authorising, directing, causing, suffering, permitting or attempting any of those acts or things.

"sell" includes sell whether by wholesale or retail and barter and exchange, and also includes dealing in, agreeing to sell, or offering or exposing for sale, or keeping or having in possession for sale, or sending, forwarding, delivering or receiving for sale or on sale, or authorising, directing, causing, suffering, permitting or attempting any of those acts or things.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/dmata1985256/s3.html#supply

The issues applying to whether the charges are dealt with summarily have been alluded to by Mac in a previous post.

In my experience a charge of supply can be applied for simply passing a "joint" from one person to another, if the other elements of the offence can be proved.

On the other hand supply can be the major supply of large amounts of the prohibiited substance.

So there can be very wide variances relating to the charge.

Supply of prohibited drugs is illegal, we all know that.

What we don't know is the details in this particular case.

The details may have no impact on your opinion but then again they may, so maybe we need to just wait and see how this particular case pans out.

For those that are interested the quanities of prohibiited drugs that meet trafficable, indictable, small quanity etc are found in this table.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/dmata1985256/sch1.html

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'll preface my post by saying I haven't read any of the 160 previously, but as far as I'm concerned, sack him. We don't need people like him around the club.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Dousty is a deadset genius, we punted three nuffies to the Knights in Wicks, Houston and Naiqama and all three have proved sensational non retention decisions, Brian Smith thanks so much and bless your little heart.

Fathead

Bench
As an eels fan -
1. No matter what happens, all tainted people should be cut from the club ASAP. even if you come last, it just must be done. The knights are a family club, a club for the town.
2. As the great Jack Gibson said - Get your front office working and the club will be a success.
3. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Life will go on. The knights will go on and being in a one horse town, the sponsorship will remain. You only have to look at the Dogs for proof of this.

Best of Luck.

Alex28

Coach
Do we let him walk? Or do we keep hold of him until everything is resolved and then have him fulfil the remainder of his contract.

It would be a bitter pill to swallow to be playing against him next year. That was never going to be an option in relation to Wicks, but Houston is actually good.

Yosh

Coach
Okay guys. I think enough is enough.

There is just too much negativity going around in these forums recently and considering there is only 2 weeks to go till kick off we should start to get eager beaver and look forward to a positive start to the season. I am sure the Houston issue will work itself out. I am very dissapointed like the rest of you but I assume that most of us here want to come and have an enjoyable discussion about the Knights rather than mutating into trolls who ruin everyone's day.

What Houston did was stupid. He could have had a very bright future here but now he can f**k off. I hope the knights managment deal with the situation with maturity and swiftly to minimise damage to the club and player.

Now as a Moderator I will close this thread!

Oh wait I'm not a Moderator... Carry on.

Thought I'd add a wtf comment just to remind everyone I am still very Yosh!

Pumba

First Grade
According to Ten News. House offered his resignation at Lunch Time today and it was accepted by the club.

Bluetongue is also reviewing its deal worth 800k to the club.

Pumba

First Grade
However I just received a Media Release from the Knights and it doesn't mention anything about Houston being released, contract torn up or a resignation.

Official statement from Knights CEO, Steve Burraston‏

In response to yesterday’s developments with regards to Chris Houston, Newcastle Knights CEO, Steve Burraston has released the following statement.

“We appreciate everyone’s concerns on this matter.”

“As much as we would like to be able to answer the many questions people have the fact remains that this is a legal matter and it is the police and not the Newcastle Knights who are privy to the actual information that led to this development.

“The Knights are not aware of anything other than a strong anti-drug culture within our club and our testing regime reinforces that view.

“The decision to stand Chris down is not a reflection of our view as to guilt or innocence but recognition of the seriousness of the matter and of where his energies must now be focused.

“We will not condone any illegal activity but we will also defend the right of any individual to be judged innocent until proven otherwise.

“The Knights remain totally committed to addressing any issues that may arise should they be identified at any time but we remain equally confident about the processes we have in place and of the strong community standards that are a part of the entire Knights organisation.

“We remain committed to strong and effective education programs and to taking every step to ensure that the fans and the parents and families of our players can have faith in our organisation.”

League Unlimited

cram

Bench
According to Ten News. House offered his resignation at Lunch Time today and it was accepted by the club.

Bluetongue is also reviewing its deal worth 800k to the club.

If Bluetongue pulls the pin then someone will pick it up...they won't stop drinking beer at the footy and of course being a "legal" drug you can totally understand their need to take the high and mighty ground in all of this :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

On another point BT is crap beer so will be more then happy to see it leave the club if another sponsor is found.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
While I am in disbelief that someone would risk their teaching degree and league career just to sell some drugs on the side, I am not to disappointed that he is leaving. IMO he was overrated as a player. He was consistent, yes. But he didn't have a great deal of stand out games. He also ran the ball up slowly for a wide running back rower.

perverse

Referee
if it's true that house has handed in his resignation - then power to him... and i respect him a lot for making that decision.

for all their stupidity - at least these blokes care enough about the team to seperate when they got in the sh*t. i can do nothing but applaud those actions.

cram

Bench
if it's true that house has handed in his resignation - then power to him... and i respect him a lot for making that decision.

for all their stupidity - at least these blokes care enough about the team to seperate when they got in the sh*t. i can do nothing but applaud those actions.

I guess that Wicks set the scene for this. With House I would be happy for him to resign however, if he was to be found not guilty on all of this I would like to think that he could stay with the club.

Latest posts