What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston busted for drugs

perverse

Referee
I guess that Wicks set the scene for this. With House I would be happy for him to resign however, if he was to be found not guilty on all of this I would like to think that he could stay with the club.
i'd be more than happy to offer him another contract if found innocent.

Big Tim

First Grade
a little exercise never hurt anyone

cept your mother!!!

i'd be more than happy to offer him another contract if found innocent.

Wont happen

Yeah, just hate to see him going to another club.

Will happen.

Its a hypocritical sport. The player is the one in trouble, not the club, but all the sh*t is put on the club. He will be released/walk away, sign with another club and nothing will be thought of the club that signed him it will all be put on Newcastle.

perverse

Referee
Its a hypocritical sport. The player is the one in trouble, not the club, but all the sh*t is put on the club. He will be released/walk away, sign with another club and nothing will be thought of the club that signed him it will all be put on Newcastle.
yep, sad but true.

sh*t happens, we need to swallow some concrete and harden the f**k up on this one. to look at some positives -

- I'm still happy with our squad. we'll be relying on 1 or 2 young players to step up to plug gaps now and then for sure (rather than it just being a bonus before this whole drug scandel)... but if our boys can get their heads right we can still have a decent year.
- we are shaping as a massive force in the player market at years end. stigmas be damned, we're going to have cash to throw around, and cash is the true major factor when players decide where they are headed.
- none of our key players are, as yet, implicated. we can only react to this if/when everything is finally revealed when this all goes to court.

let's just all cross our fingers that nothing too nasty comes out of the court case, and that our boys can get on with the football. i'm confident that even if our sponsors abandon us - there will continue to be a newcastle knights team to support in the NRL. it may be dire circumstances, but if we need to privitise, i'm quite certain there will be interested parties.

Alex28

Coach
While I am in disbelief that someone would risk their teaching degree and league career just to sell some drugs on the side...
See...this is the bit that makes no sense at all. Doing a teaching degree - why would you do that if you were putting it all at risk by doing something illegal which if you were caught you could never actually use.

There has to be more to it...I'd rather we get the whole story out first before we go accepting resignations. I would hate to see it if he got off the charges or was charged but not sentenced and he was playing elsewhere in 2011. It would suck in a massive way.

Last edited:

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Yeah, just hate to see him going to another club.

I'm sure Brian Smith will take him.

In saying that. It sucks because i'm sure the club will sack him for the simple case of bad publicity and to make it look like it's giving that zero tolerance stance... Remember the good old media controls the game... not the fans

Hanscholo

Bench
I am glad he has resigned, sad for him im a way, but good for the side. I have an awful feeling that he just so happened to be caught up in the Wicks stakeouts that were going on. Sure he may have picked up a few things for some mates or w/e. Doesnt mean the guy was selling drugs in the true meaning of the idea. Still its just conjecture. The full story on this one is going to be a sad story i think.

I am sure NIB is going to walk, there were mumblings of it when the wicks saga broke, then Ftizgibbon walked over a conflict of interest over the sponsorship and his role at the club. They are as good as done imo. Bluetongue, pretty funny that a drug company would be upset about a drug stigma at the club. Most intelligent people understand that alcohol does far more damage to the community than illicit drugs do, so feel free to f**k off and peddle your sh*t somewhere else Singo if your so high and mighty about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
I am glad he has resigned, sad for him im a way, but good for the side. I have an awful feeling that he just so happened to be caught up in the Wicks stakeouts that were going on. Sure he may have picked up a few things for some mates or w/e. Doesnt mean the guy was selling drugs in the true meaning of the idea. Still its just conjecture. The full story on this one is going to be a sad story i think.

I am sure NIB is going to walk, there were mumblings of it when the wicks saga broke, then Ftizgibbon walked over a conflict of interest over the sponsorship and his role at the club. They are as good as done imo. Bluetongue, pretty funny that a drug company would be upset about a drug stigma at the club. Most intelligent people understand that alcohol does far more damage to the community than illicit drugs do, so feel free to f**k off and peddle your sh*t somewhere else Singo if your so high and mighty about it.

At this stage he has not resigned. The papers are making comments that he might today but officially he has not yet.

Also Singo no longer owns Blue Tounge, this is now a CocaCola company, which does not look good if BT decide to walk away as then Coke might do the same.

If I was the club I'd refuse to accept it, or give him terms that he is not to sign anywhere else for atleast 2-5 years.

Newcastle Knights say Chris Houston lied to club over involvement in drugs scandal

By Stuart Honeysett
March 03, 2010 Newcastle Knights chairman Robert Tew has revealed Chris Houston lied to him over his involvement in the drug scandal that threatens to derail the club.
Tew said the club had pleaded with all players to come forward if they had anything to hide after Danny Wicks was charged with drug supply and possession in December.

"That's been a standard in our discussions prior to Christmas," Tew said.

"We are disappointed to an extent but more importantly since Danny Wicks' arrest and charging we've been open-minded as to what may come at us.

"As we said then and we'll say again now, 'whilst we've got no indication there's any more to come out, we're open-minded what may and we won't be afraid to take action'."

Houston was interviewed by club chief executive Steve Burraston in December after Wicks, his former housemate, was charged by police with six counts of drug supply and two of possession.

There were reports the Knights on Tuesday night had accepted Houston's offer to resign from the club, just as Wicks had done.

Strike Force Welham detectives on Monday charged Houston with three count of supplying ecstasy and one count of supplying cocaine.

Burraston has penned a letter to the club's supporters apologising for the latest scandal and pleading with them to stand by the embattled club this season.

Newcastle cannot afford to lose money at the gate this year as the club walks a financial tightrope and several sponsorships worth about $1.6 million a season are also in jeopardy.

"This is without doubt one of the most difficult and emotional episodes the Newcastle Knights have ever faced in our 23-year existence and there has never been a time when we have needed our sponsors, members and supporters more than we do now," Burraston said.

"We have a proud history and as we've proved in the past, our club is far greater than a few individuals.

"We truly understand your anger and frustration and I apologise personally and on behalf of the club."

With two of its leading forwards now gone and captain Kurt Gidley unavailable for the opening four rounds at least with a hamstring strain, the Knights have been installed by betting agencies as the new favourites to win this year's wooden spoon.

Gidley, and a player who was also involved in a drugs scandal, former champion halfback and current assistant coach Andrew Johns, pressed on with the job despite the drama unfolding around them at training on Tuesday.

Burraston denied the Knights had a drug culture.
"The Knights are not aware of anything other than a strong anti-drug culture within our club and our testing regime reinforces that view," he said in a statement.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26799183-5018866,00.html

Adsy

Juniors
See...this is the bit that makes no sense at all. Doing a teaching degree - why would you do that if you were putting it all at risk by doing something illegal which if you were caught you could never actually use.

Maybe House had hopes of staring in an Australian version of 'Breaking Bad'.

B-dos

Referee

you may be surprised alex but many drug dealers lead perfectly normal lives and often have very good jobs and are well educated

that said, from the reports we have it seems houston did a few deals for someone on the side and would certainly not be classed as a 'dealer' in my books.

B-dos

Referee
hmmm

fess up and guarantee youre charged by the police and your career is over

or try your luck and hope the cops have got nothing on you?

tough choice...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well, he was always going to get found out, it was just a matter of time ...

antonius

Coach
To everyone who is saying we should hang on to him because it was a small amount, or he's too good to let go, someone else will pick him up. You have to ask should we have a code of conduct or not?

The fact is we have one and the players knew about it and agreed to it. You can't have one rule for one and another for someone else. Houston has been charged with supply and has offered his resignation, I believe he should go.

The damage done by Wicks and Houston is immeasurable, already we have major sponsors saying they are re-considering their position with the club.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo.../knights-sponsors-demand-answers/1765568.aspx

You might not like bluetounge (I don't either) but I do like their $800,000 a year, NIB are also making noises about quiting. Coal and allied are denying any agreement beyond this year, after Robert Tew reported in the Herald that they had agreed to extend to the end of 2011.

Season 2010 is already a shambles, worse still is the fact that the Knights who were already on rocky ground are now teetering on the brink. Sure as some say it was only three deals (if proven) (and I believe the police wouldn't have taken this long after Wicks to arrest Houston unless they had the evidence) but those deals have stabbed us all in the back.

So yes, as I said earlier he, and anyone else who have broken the Knights code of conduct can piss off now.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
he, and anyone else who have broken the Knights code of conduct can piss off now.

I have come around to this POV.

For all the hypocracy surrounding the issue (a beer company getting shirty over drug issues FFS), for all the feelings that we don't want him coming back to bite us, for all the feelings of disbelief - that he is a top bloke, etc etc

He has shat on us from a great height. Whether he is guilty or not, he knew enough, or did enough, or neglected to do anything - so as to drag us through the mud, to put our very existence at risk.

piss off houso.