What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Firstly Cal, ive only been on the board for less than a week and people other than you havent suggested sh*te. Go to the doc, seriously as you will be a much happier and healthier person once you are more balanced & centred.

How can you argue with someone who thinks the Nazis and Vicy Govt are responsible for the ills confronting rugby league. Maybe the doctor might be a good thing Cal. Lie down on the couch could only be a good thing!

Calixte

First Grade
4 owned trolls having a picnic. Enjoy. :lol:

Until you attack the summary of the thread you have... NADA.

watatank

Coach
Re: Thread

The international game is not considered the pinnacle. From a fans POV State of Origin is definitely the pinnacle and I would think the NRL Grand Final are considered higher. There's all that build up to the Origin and Grand Final, where's all the press for international matches (in comparison)?

Calixte

First Grade
Re: Thread

The international game is not considered the pinnacle. From a fans POV State of Origin is definitely the pinnacle and I would think the NRL Grand Final are considered higher. There's all that build up to the Origin and Grand Final, where's all the press for international matches (in comparison)?

There is a lack of media for international RL and has been since the Super League War. For reasons previously outlined.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
There is a lack of media for international RL and has been since the Super League War. For reasons previously outlined.

The media aren't interested because no one else is.

So we owe it to the super league war that we don't have to sit through 70 nil thrashings of Fiji and PNG. Something good actually came from it.

Calixte

First Grade
No I judge it more by the facts. Like the ones used to destroy you in this thread.

Check the summary and get back to me.

Goodnight to you too, troll.

bobbis

Juniors
Calixte the last 6 RLWCs have been won by Australia the 6 RWCs have been won by 4 nations. In your world that might mean the RLWC deserves as much credibility as the RWC, but don't expect the general public to follow.

screeny

Bench
The fact that NZ beat Australia in a series in 2005 strongly suggests that at least two nations can win the RLWC, and we all can safely add England to those. How is that so much worse than SA, Eng, Oz, NZ and France in rah rah, which everyone knows has a vastly more developed int'l game?

Quidgybo

Bench
I love our tests and I think they are a better product than what union produces. However watching the Bledisloe yesterday there is no doubt the atmosphere is superior to our league test matches. There's a buzz or spark that isn't there for out matches. Heading into the world cup I really hope we can capture a special feel at the ground.
There is only one way to guarantee a buzz and spark about our international game - strong competition. Ultimately, the Kangaroos' stranglehold must be broken so that the outcome of games is once again in doubt. While the Kangaroos' continue to win 80% (or whatever the actual figure) of games they play, of course Tests are going to fail to grab the public's imagination (both those involving the Roos and those between the also-rans). This isn't going to change overnight and it certainly isn't going to change before we get to this year's World Cup. Someone might get on the right side of probability and knock off Australia in the semis or the final but it isn't going to change the overall state of the international game where one side is clearly in a class of their own and has been for the past thirty years.

The solution to this situation is not to chop down the Kangaroos but rather for the game collectively to take steps to build up their opposition. There are eight key steps I'd suggest are needed...

1. Introduce one or two new New Zealand based sides to the NRL to increase the pool of Kiwi eligible players being professionally coached and developed. While there remains only one or two eligible contenders for each position in the Kiwi team, players will never feel the pressure of competition to force them to excel.
  2. Introduce one or two new France based sides to Super League, again to increase the pool of French eligible players being professionally coached and developed.
  3. Reduce the Super League import quota for non EU citizens to a maximum of 2 players per club (28 players). This will provide greater opportunity for the development of English and Welsh eligible players and raise the quality of import players targeted.
  4. Provide an annual development grant/dividend of around $2.5m to the NZRL from NRL profits. Currently the ARL get $8m return annually from a competition that makes its money from both Australia and New Zealand. The NZRL get nothing for the exploitation of their territory. This leaves grass roots player development in NZ at a comparative disadvantage.
  5. Guarantee the release of players from the NRL and Super League on demand for four international windows during the club season. These could be scheduled to coincide with Origin and the Anzac Test. Only thru access to their best players, can the smaller countries hope to build a competitive international team around them.
  6. Play an annual four game mid season Tri-Series between England, Wales and France in parallel to Australia's State of Origin. This would increase the opportunities, especially for Wales and France, to form their international sides into truly cohesive teams.
  7. Play an annual three game mid season North/South Origin series in NZ, also in parallel to State of Origin. This would provide NZ players an intermediate stepping stone between club and Test football where they can prove their worth against their direct opponents for Test jumpers.
  8. Keep the big three/four international teams playing annually in a post season Tri-Nations or Four-Nations tournament. The best way to take strong club players the final step to become great Test players is to have them play regular tough Tests. The Kangaroos nearest opponents need to face them as often as possible.
There are eight suggestions. You will note virtually none of them focus on the presentation or marketing of Test matches themselves. The Tests are not where the major problems lie. It's everything leading up to a player's Test debut that is the problem. From lack of funding for the grass roots development outside Oz, to insufficient opportunities for professional coaching and training in the top level club competitions, too many low quality imports taking spots needed to develop local players, and the lack of a stepping stone between club football and Test matches against the Kangaroos.

Fixing these problems is not just the responsibility of the countries concerned, but for the game across the board. Those countries that are able to run strong elite club competitions (ie. Australia and England) must recognise that if they want a strong international game, which they in turn will benefit from, then they have to spread access to their elite competitions to develop the foundations for that international game. And these same countries need to recognise that if they want to make money from marketing their competitions as the elite level in smaller countries then they have an obligation to return some of the profits made from those territories to help fund the grass roots.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
i have no idea how. im a massive league fan in all its forms but my god i could not be less interested in the world cup. its like watching the commonwealth games and knowing australia will win everything. its just boring.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Here's my plan to help international league:

1. Stiffle any possible development of the NRL.

Wait a minute.....

David Gallop's a genius!

In all seriousness, this is probably the cheapest and easiest plan. As long as other nations continue to develop, possibly on the back of this RLWC's profits, this will create a nice power shift to the northern hemisphere.

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
As of next year there will be 5 nations with a professional Rugby League team: Aus, Eng, NZ, France and Wales.

Lets start witht hese five nations with the possibilty of adding PNG in. Lets have regular U18's, U20's competitions between the nations. Start small and then in time things will pay off.

Brutus

Referee
Why has RU been dominated largely by New Zealand (small population) for around 100 years?

Because the union world aint as big as onionists like to spruik and NZ is one of the few countries that truly give a f**k.

Latest posts